PFT: Free Agency could start at midnight

JoeF

Maybe JW can answer this- If there is a lockout could a bunch of other billionaires swoop in and start signing whatever players they want? you could sign away the top 10-20 QBs to start a new league or just hold them for ransom when the NFL got it's act together.

Maybe JW can answer this- If there is a lockout could a bunch of other billionaires swoop in and start signing whatever players they want? you could sign away the top 10-20 QBs to start a new league or just hold them for ransom when the NFL got it's act together.

in theory that's a possibility. the players are essentially now on their own. however, in the absence of a CBA, this doesn't work because it would be a signal that the owners are breaking ranks. and that's to the players' advantage.

the other problem here is where would this new league play as current NFL stadiums are controlled by current NFL owners. of course, there's college stadiums that are available, but then it comes down to money and how many people out there want to risk establishing a new breakaway football league.

we're a long way from that, though i'm sure in the coming months there will be discussions and proposals of someone wanting to form an upstart league in the absence of an NFL season. i could be wrong, but didn't the USFL form out of something like this after the '82 dispute? (dunno, i'm old and my memory's fuzzy.)

again, there's a possibility to this, but i can't see current NFL owners doing this.

jw

in theory that's a possibility. the players are essentially now on their own. however, in the absence of a CBA, this doesn't work because it would be a signal that the owners are breaking ranks. and that's to the players' advantage.

the other problem here is where would this new league play as current NFL stadiums are controlled by current NFL owners. of course, there's college stadiums that are available, but then it comes down to money and how many people out there want to risk establishing a new breakaway football league.

we're a long way from that, though i'm sure in the coming months there will be discussions and proposals of someone wanting to form an upstart league in the absence of an NFL season. i could be wrong, but didn't the USFL form out of something like this after the '82 dispute? (dunno, i'm old and my memory's fuzzy.)

again, there's a possibility to this, but i can't see current NFL owners doing this.

jw

I wasn't thinking about current NFL owners I was thinking about an AFL or USFL type thing- another group of Billionaires who've always wanted in.