OK Everybody...

Nanker

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

neither does the Swannie House, which is my place of choice.

by the way, do they have a last call in Anchorage?

jw

3 am. That was not the case 20 years ago[unless you consider a 7:30 am closing with a 8:00 am opening a serious interruption] Then the Carry A. Nation types got involved and changed it.

WAKE UP!

Get ready to spring out of bed and change those batteries this Sunday morning.

Time to pay back that extra hour you were given last fall.

Payback's a B word as they say.

That is an interesting way to look at it even if it totally incorrect! :P

What do you mean pay back? I don't owe anything. We were on Standard Time the whole year before all this DST stuff started to take off... So in other words they are taking an hour away... Why am I paying back something that they gave back in the fall. What I am saying is that you have it reversed.

They give back in the fall and take away in the spring. We don't pay back anything.

DST is not the norm... Standard time is... :P

This hour that I am supposedy "paying back" is mine in the first place!

More like "pay-up" now and we will hold your deposit and you will get reimbursed in the fall!

Sorry to bust your hump Nanker. Oh, nevermind! ;)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

At least they short sheeted the bed on a Saturday night and Sunday isn't a work day for most.

Always takes a few days to work out the mental gnashing though. At least for me it does.

I worked it and the they made me take an hour of vacation time... I don't mind... I could have pissed off the boss and said I want to stay the extra hour... Anything to chew away at annual leave. :lol:

For the past several years, I've had a severe eye twitch that lasts the duration of the fall-spring section of DST. When DST was shortened during the Bush administration, the twitch followed suit exactly. 'They' say it's related to sleep problems. I call bullsh--; I sleep fine and ~9 hours a night.

So I, for one, welcome losing the hour to get back to normal.

That fall-spring DST is actually Standard Time... What would you have done in the old days when ST was the norm... You problem is a product of DST being implemented, not the other way around. No?

EDIT: This is a very interesting problem. I know you said the last couple of years... But, could the twitch been subtle all along. UConn, could you have had it (the twitch) as a child? Were you born in DST or ST?

EDIT, EDIT: Oops, I just noticed that you were born in DST... Again when did the twitch start? Exactly one year when the fall clocks were set back? IMO, this is fascinating! Sorry, I never heard a story like this!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I worked it and the they made me take an hour of vacation time... I don't mind... I could have pissed off the boss and said I want to stay the extra hour... Anything to chew away at annual leave. :lol:

That fall-spring DST is actually Standard Time... What would you have done in the old days when ST was the norm... You problem is a product of DST being implemented, not the other way around. No?

EDIT: This is a very interesting problem. I know you said the last couple of years... But, could the twitch been subtle all along. UConn, could you have had it (the twitch) as a child? Were you born in DST or ST?

EDIT, EDIT: Oops, I just noticed that you were born in DST... Again when did the twitch start? Exactly one year when the fall clocks were set back? IMO, this is fascinating! Sorry, I never heard a story like this!

I haven't either. It started probably 5-6 years ago. My upper left eyelid twitches probably 100-150 times a day from fall-back to spring-forward. It's very aggravating. In all the past 5-6 years, it's stopped exactly at spring-forward, even when the date changed. Yesterday after the switch, I had one twitch that was barely noticeable.

WAKE UP!

Get ready to spring out of bed and change those batteries this Sunday morning.

Time to pay back that extra hour you were given last fall.

Payback's a B word as they say.

Nope. I'm being proactive this year, and instead of paying them back, i'm banking this hour so i can use it next fall.

neither does the Swannie House, which is my place of choice.

by the way, do they have a last call in Anchorage?

i'm working the Sabres game, so it's immaterial.

don't know how it works for those rare folk who would work a midnight-8 a.m, shift in this modern day and age.

and i've been banging this lose the hour on Friday drum for some 20 years now and even brought it up on 'GR once, which got a laugh even out of Rob Ray. though many people like it, i've yet to generate a groundswell support for change.

jw

Can't remember on the spring ahead, but my dad used to work for USAirways on the 11pm-7am shift, and during fall behind they got 9 hours pay for the 9 hours worked. No OT, just a straight 9 hours.

But since they were union, i'm guessing they got paid the full 8 hours for the 7 hours of work on the spring ahead.

The Man still owes me an hour for a business trip I took about 8 years ago.

Went to UK, as soon as I got there I lost an hour of sleep as they switched to BST (British Summer Time). After a week there I flew back just in time to lose another hour of sleep when we went to DST the following weekend. So I lost 2 hours in the spring and only gained 1 back in the fall - bastards owe me......

I haven't either. It started probably 5-6 years ago. My upper left eyelid twitches probably 100-150 times a day from fall-back to spring-forward. It's very aggravating. In all the past 5-6 years, it's stopped exactly at spring-forward, even when the date changed. Yesterday after the switch, I had one twitch that was barely noticeable.

Interesting... I know a few people with mild Bell's palsy... Have you ever looked into that. With one person I know, it comes and goes at various points in his life. Also, there is a link to enviro elements and changes.

How can the time change effect that twitch... You are still going to bed when it is dark and now early in DST waking up when it is still a bit dark... ???

I think they should just get rid of DST/ST all together.

It has to go one way or the other, what will it be... It won't be bad for people in the middle of a time zone... But, I am right on the start of one... That is almost a whole hour of darkness in the morning if they use DST as the ST... And it will be so late into the morning!

It has to go one way or the other, what will it be... It won't be bad for people in the middle of a time zone... But, I am right on the start of one... That is almost a whole hour of darkness in the morning if they use DST as the ST... And it will be so late into the morning!

I'm all for keeping the extra hour of sleep. Don't take away an hour of my sleep, dammit! :flirt:

I agree! And you don't want to piss off the farmers... Never bite the hand that feeds you! ;)

Why do people think the farmers were the ones who liked this?! Many of us hate it. The idea that the sun comes up later is bad news. When the sun can be up before 7 or 8 it gives time for mildew and moisture to evaporate and allows harvesting of crops much easier.