Legislators Seek to Make Embryonic Stem Cell Research a Felony

Several Minnesota Democrats joined with 31 Republicans in offering a bill Wednesday that would ban embryonic stem cell research in the state under the guise of banning “human cloning.” The Human Cloning Prohibition Act of 2011 would make somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT), a component of creating embryonic stem cell lines, illegal and would impose a felony charge on scientists who conduct such research. Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life, the main proponent of the bill, has stated that creating stem cell lines is akin to killing a human being.

http://minnesotaindependent.com/78718/legislators-seek-to-make-embryonic-stem-cell-research-a-felony

I'm not even going to bother commenting on this one, mostly because I'm a pro-baby-killing hippie liberal.

http://minnesotaindependent.com/78718/legislators-seek-to-make-embryonic-stem-cell-research-a-felony

I'm not even going to bother commenting on this one, mostly because I'm a pro-baby-killing hippie liberal.

Bunch of retards.

And not just because the argument is specious...banning it in the state is only going to drive whatever R&D is going on into other states.

I'm not the most science-minded person. Is this the process developed a couple of years back that was supposed to wipe out the debate of embryonic vs. adult stem cells?

If so, this is idiotic. This is tissue cloning, not cloning an entire human being.

I really wish they would stay away from these losing side issues and concentrate wholly on the economy and defense.

I'm not the most science-minded person. Is this the process developed a couple of years back that was supposed to wipe out the debate of embryonic vs. adult stem cells?

If so, this is idiotic. This is tissue cloning, not cloning an entire human being.

I really wish they would stay away from these losing side issues and concentrate wholly on the economy and defense.

Unfortunately, nothing is so simplistic. Embryonic cells lines are still used in specific areas of research in which adult cells are not as promising. That's my understanding of it at least. I'd imagine that one day your statement will be correct, once we truly understand how these things work.

But again in your mind this isn't about politics. :wallbash:

No, this one actually is about politics. Politics and the legislation of "morals". VERY un-libertarian and VERY intrusive.

In the part I quoted, I made sure to include a reference to the fact that this involves bi-partisan stupidity.

I'm a pro-baby-killer myself. It's just that the babies I'm for offing are much bigger babies and are liberal. :rolleyes:

Well of course you are. You're stereotypically only interested in preserving human life prior to birth. In related news, water is still wet. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, nothing is so simplistic. Embryonic cells lines are still used in specific areas of research in which adult cells are not as promising. That's my understanding of it at least. I'd imagine that one day your statement will be correct, once we truly understand how these things work.

I think he's referring to a news report a while back whereby they could trigger some types of adult stem cells to "revert" to embryonic stem cells. Clearly, my memory's hazy on the report...and I'm too lazy to look for it right now.

Well of course you are. You're stereotypically only interested in preserving human life prior to birth. In related news, water is still wet. :thumbsup:

Classic conservative philosophy: "life begins at conception and ends at birth".

I think he's referring to a news report a while back whereby they could trigger some types of adult stem cells to "revert" to embryonic stem cells. Clearly, my memory's hazy on the report...and I'm too lazy to look for it right now.

Classic conservative philosophy: "life begins at conception and ends at birth".

Since you don't know my philosophy you would be better off not assuming anything.

No, you're right, but there are limits to that method right now. Something about the cells retaining certain properties from before they were reverted, making them not-so-good. I'm not going to pretend to understand the details or reasons behind this, but it sounds like they just need more research. I think that working with the embryonic stem cell lines makes such research easier. Except in Minnesota apparently.

Since you don't know my philosophy you would be better off not assuming anything.

You have a philosophy? I thought it was just a kind of generalized seizure disorder.

Give it a rest, dipshit. You were the furthest thing from my mind when I wrote that.

Ah, the Joe_the_6_Pack gambit. Good play.

(That was sarcasm, in case you didn't know and/or had a debilitating stroke recently.)

Geeez, I'm beginning to like this new and kinder Tom. Complimenting me and showing your concern for your fellow man is touching.

Bunch of retards.

And not just because the argument is specious...banning it in the state is only going to drive whatever R&D is going on into other states.

Which is the state's rights to do such things. Minnesota dont want it....others might.

That whole pesky Federalism thing at work.

Edited by RkFast