Illinois Gov to sign Mainstreet Fairness Bill

But Quinn, a Democrat, described the law as necessary to put the state’s “main street businesses” on “a level playing field” with online retailers and to protect main street jobs.

Seems like just yesterday the Democrats were promoting the "new economy" at the expense of the Main Street.

And about that logic...shouldn't there be a similar law to protect the Main Street jobs created by oil industry against green technology? <_<

Don't most states already have such a policy? This sucks of course...

That's what I was thinking- I remember getting charged NYS sales tax for something I got online because the had a like one outlet in NY and that was 5 or 6 years ago.

Another business flees from a state that imposed a regulation on their activities there that would have made them a surrogate tax collector, i.e., an unpaid employee of said state.

There are few markets in history that are as frictionless as the Intarweb.

Don't most states already have such a policy? This sucks of course...

There are states (Virginia included) that have imposed a "Use Tax". When filling out your state return there is a section for purchases made online (or in other states ;)) that you did not pay VA sales tax. In Virginia, if the cumulative amount of purchases online/outside VA exceeds $100 you must pay 2.5% (I think that was the rate).

But to answer your question, No. Most states do not require retailers to collect sales tax on purchases made online. There might be a couple that do, but the plurality do not.

There are states (Virginia included) that have imposed a "Use Tax". When filling out your state return there is a section for purchases made online (or in other states ;)) that you did not pay VA sales tax. In Virginia, if the cumulative amount of purchases online/outside VA exceeds $100 you must pay 2.5% (I think that was the rate).

But to answer your question, No. Most states do not require retailers to collect sales tax on purchases made online. There might be a couple that do, but the plurality do not.

New York state law requires some online retailers to collect sales tax on purchases shipped to New York's residents, even if they have no offices or employees there and if a retailer derives at least $10,000 of annual revenue from affiliates in New York, it is responsible for collecting the sales taxes.

Whats a sales tax? :unsure:

It's a state government program to force fiscal reconciliation of an impedance mismatch created by the government's penchant for impulsive spending on programs to satisfy multitudinous special interest groups' incessant demands for financial assistance from said government. Or, as EII would say, if your state isn't geographically blessed - pay up.