Draft Expert Rick Gosselin

This guy Rick Gosselin had us picking Maybin in 09, saying the Bills needed a pass rush guy, and Maybin was it. There were others who had Maybin ranked higher than Orakpo, Matthews, and others.

My point is, in this case, the problem with Aaron Maybin is not the Bills selecting him. It is Maybin's inability to play to his own potential. I was at a game in KC in 09 during which he tackled a guy, and I thought, man that was a big hit. He has the physical tools to play football. I think when he carved his initials into his head, he pulled a muscle in his football talent.

I think the Bills have had horrible luck drafting. They've only had a couple picks that were criticized....amazingly enough, Donte Whitner is probably the best number one pick they had in years, and he's leaving. Losman was coveted by others. I'm babbling.

I'm hoping they make the right choice with #3. Trade out of that position. I think the best choice at #3 if Peterson. But I'd rather have a dominant quarterback.

<edited thread title for clarity>

But I'd rather have a dominant quarterback.

Yeah, well I'd rather not go to work today. Guess what? There are no dominant QBs, so do the smart thing and start building a dominant defensive line. Who knows if you build a good enough one maybe even Maybin will start showing something.

Edited by Dr. Fong

Yeah, well I'd rather not go to work today. Guess what? There are no dominant QBs, so do the smart thing and start building a dominant defensive line. Who knows if you build a good enough one maybe even Maybin will start showing something.

Another case of the know it all that knows nothing at all. There's not one qb in this draft that will be a dominant player. You KNOW this.... /bow to the almighty FONG

This guy Rick Gosselin had us picking Maybin in 09, saying the Bills needed a pass rush guy, and Maybin was it. There were others who had Maybin ranked higher than Orakpo, Matthews, and others.

My point is, in this case, the problem with Aaron Maybin is not the Bills selecting him. It is Maybin's inability to play to his own potential. I was at a game in KC in 09 during which he tackled a guy, and I thought, man that was a big hit. He has the physical tools to play football. I think when he carved his initials into his head, he pulled a muscle in his football talent.

I think the Bills have had horrible luck drafting. They've only had a couple picks that were criticized....amazingly enough, Donte Whitner is probably the best number one pick they had in years, and he's leaving. Losman was coveted by others. I'm babbling.

I'm hoping they make the right choice with #3. Trade out of that position. I think the best choice at #3 if Peterson. But I'd rather have a dominant quarterback.

Is that Kate's husband?

I'll stick up for ya TC. His point is this: It's not all bad decisions at OBD, it's also players not living up to their potential, with a dose of bad luck mixed in. Although his point has some validity, there's still been plenty of bad decisions by the Bills brass on draft day. Any team that had Maybin higher Orakpo on their board simply did not do their job correctly. That's just one example of many.

Another case of the know it all that knows nothing at all. There's not one qb in this draft that will be a dominant player. You KNOW this.... /bow to the almighty FONG

So does that mean you know who the dominant QB is we're supposed to take?

If Luck were in there, he'd be the right pick, and Carolina would take him before us.

You really believe Newton's got enough of a track record as a passer to convince you he's worth #3?

Are you sure it's Gabbert? Are you sure it's not Mallet, Locker, or Ponder - any of whom we could draft later?

You sure you wouldn't rather just try and upgrade the league's worst run defense?

Edited by BobChalmers

I'll stick up for ya TC. His point is this: It's not all bad decisions at OBD, it's also players not living up to their potential, with a dose of bad luck mixed in. Although his point has some validity, there's still been plenty of bad decisions by the Bills brass on draft day. Any team that had Maybin higher Orakpo on their board simply did not do their job correctly. That's just one example of many.

BS

My original thought was that the Bills were not the only ones who rated Maybin that highly. And there drafts are usually viewed as sensible at first glance.

However, the drafts have not turned out well. Who would've thought that McCargo, Losman, Maybin, even McKelvin and Lynch would turn out to be busts. Somewhere along the line somebody has to play up to his potential. Look at Pouncey! Late first rounder, pro bowl.

They could use a little good fortune for a change.

Can I delete my own thread?

<edited thread title for clarity>

Oh, where to start with this one.....I don't know a damn thing about who to draft but I sure as Hell can tell you that even I would have had Orakpo and Ngata on this team. It's like the Bills try and outsmart themselves each year and all they end up doing is showing how stupid they really are. On top of that, I know I would not have had Spiller here...don't know who I would have picked but certainly not a freakin' RB

Edited by BuffaloBaumer

Interesting that it's Maybin's fault that he hasn't developed, and not the Bills' fault for failing yet again in the player development department. When you're changing schemes, coaching staffs, and training staffs every couple of years, it's hard to get your young players to reach their full potentials. IMO McKelvin is almost as big of a bust as Maybin at this point. If he actually played all of the time and was left on an island, he'd be rated one of the worst cover corners in the league. I'm not saying Maybin and McKelvin would be superstars on the Steelers or Jets (see Gholston and Sweed, respectively), but they'd have a better shot at reaching their full potentials on those teams.

Yes, amatuers had Maybin rated as a first rounder but did any of the pros (other than the Bills)? I doubt it. He was a one-year wonder, his sacks came against garbage teams, he disappeared in a bowl game against quality competition, he was obviously too light to play DE in the NFL and he wasn't overly impressive at the combine. Other than that, great choice.

BS

haha C'mon Beerball...haven't they made at least one smart decision in the last decade on draft day? I'll be 57 next month & been a Bills fan all my life. I can remember some good draft decisions... back when football wasn't all about money & before Ralphie boy fired Bill Polian in an idiotic move.

I'm not saying there isn't a QB that might turn into a dominant NFL player, but it's not obvious which one it is. There is a group of 7 or 8 that could be that guy. Hell most of the "draft experts" had Jake Locker being that guy a couple months ago. Now he's a pariah. I don't think it's worth using the third overall pick to guess at a QB when you can get one of them with your second or third pick. Defensive line is a much easier position to guess at in the draft and will have much more immediate positive results for this team.

What a horribly misguided post by the OP. Your conclusions are completely backwards.

Maybin was a bust long before draft day, despite what some writer of Tan McShay may have thought. It has nothing to do with the Bills picking him, he would have been a giant bust on any team that picked him. But, he didn’t go to a good team, he went to a bad team – why? Well, good teams inherently have good scouting staffs. This is a fact because a team would not be good if they drafted poorly. The Bills are the laughing stock of the league because no team has consistently drafted as poorly as them over the last decade (not even the Lions who have added C. Johnson, Stafford, Pettigrew, and Suh recently).

Maybin was a 4th rounder at best – that is a fact because Maybin was worth – at best – a 4th round pick. He has proved that with his play, I don’t think that is arguable. Now, wouldn’t a good scouting staff have been able to identify that? We have to figure they would have – because they wouldn’t be a good scouting staff if they weren’t able to. Now, wouldn’t a bad scouting staff think that player is worth the 11th overall pick? Yes – because they are bad.

The reason the Bills picked him is because the Bills scouting staff has proven that they suck. Do you think it’s merely a coincidence that a bad scouting staff routinely selects bad players? No, those bad players are selected only by bad scouting staffs. That’s why you didn’t see good teams drafting Maybin. That’s why good teams didn’t draft Losman or Whitner or McCargo or McKelvin or Spiller. Good teams with good scouting staffs select the GOOD PLAYERS. That’s what makes them good. Bad scouting staffs select bad players. There is no way around it – the results are right there.

Look at the Packers for example. They just won the SB with a whole bunch of players no one wanted. Mathews, Bulaga, and Rodgers fell in the draft. They took Raji over Maybin. We traded up to get Losman – but the Packers didn’t. Some people may think that’s luck – but its not. The Packers knew Losman wasn’t worth it, the Bills thought he was. One team traded up to select the scatter armed idiot and one team didn’t. One team selected the 340# monster and not the stick-like little b*tch that is Maybin. One team has the scouting sills to select HOF caliber players like Mathews in the 20’s, when Buffalo cant find an average starter int eh top 10. One team passes on a 12 year starter at RT and one team doesn’t – and only one wins the SB.

The proof is in the pudding my man, you cant argue it. It all stems from the draft, and there are no coincidences. The Bills suck because they cannot draft. You would be foolish to expect a good player to be taken at 3, because a bunch of complete idiots are making the pick. Now NeverGiveUp is reporting they like Von Miller – which is no surprise to me. Another player that simply wont be able to get it done in the NFL. Just friggin great. Just don’t be complaining about how unlucky we are that Miller didn’t pan out, because it has nothing to do with luck at all, its all about talent and skill – which the Bills FO has none of.

haha C'mon Beerball...haven't they made at least one smart decision in the last decade on draft day? I'll be 57 next month & been a Bills fan all my life. I can remember some good draft decisions... back when football wasn't all about money & before Ralphie boy fired Bill Polian in an idiotic move.

I guess your user name spells out my feelings. I'm tired of draft day mistakes. You are correct, the players do deserve a portion of the blame, but nobody forced them to be picked where they were.

Who was our last draft home run?

I guess your user name spells out my feelings. I'm tired of draft day mistakes. You are correct, the players do deserve a portion of the blame, but nobody forced them to be picked where they were.

Who was our last draft home run?

That's why I picked my user name... it's time to start winning! As far as our last draft homerun is concerned... man o man...been awhile. We've had a few doubles & triples, but as far as a homerun, I spose we would have to go back to our SB years. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. We've been a conglomerate of mediocracy for so long, sadly, I can't think of any in the past decade. There's gotta be one though.