Can DaQuan Bowers play

Estro

I don't seem to think Bowers is a fit in a 3-4 base defense. The only position I can envison him being able to play in a 3-4 would be OLB, and that'd be a huge gamble to take at the #3. Picking a guy who's played his entire career with his hand in the dirt and then asking him to go learn a new position and play in space in the pros would be much too risky.

Bowers is 6'3" and 280 lbs, which actually indicates he could possibly man the 5 technique. Compare that to Alex Carrington who weighs in at 6'5" and 280 lbs. I'm just not convinced he's strong enough to be an effective 5 technique. Not to mention, I believe his biggest asset, which is his pass rush would be somewhat wasted in a 3-4.

Who knows, if Gailey is being truthful about wanting to run a variable 3-4 with some 4-3 looks mixed in, maybe Bowers makes more sense. I wanted to see what others thought of Bowers on our current defense. Does he fit? Is he too much of a one year wonder for Nix to pull the trigger? Speaking of Nix, here's what he had to say about Boweres at the Combine (remember you can't believe everything coming out of GM's mouths 2 months before the draft):

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=6463&line=201566&spln=1

Not to mention, I believe his biggest asset, which is his pass rush would be somewhat wasted in a 3-4.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=6463&line=201566&spln=1

I think Bowers is a good enough athelete to play the 5 technique as a 3-4 DE. I don't think he has the coverage ability to play OLB in a 3-4. Naturally his best grade is 4-3 DE. I wouldn't use the 3rd pick on him if we intend on staying with the 3-4 as our base defense. Dareus & Fairley would be the safest DL picks. I personally like Quinn because of his versatility as a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. Von Miller is the safest 3-4 OLB.

I think Bowers is a good enough athelete to play the 5 technique as a 3-4 DE. I don't think he has the coverage ability to play OLB in a 3-4. Naturally his best grade is 4-3 DE. I wouldn't use the 3rd pick on him if we intend on staying with the 3-4 as our base defense. Dareus & Fairley would be the safest DL picks. I personally like Quinn because of his versatility as a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. Von Miller is the safest 3-4 OLB.

As much as I dislike Von Miller I actually agree that he's probably viewed as the safest 3-4 OLB in this years draft. And while I personally like Justin Houston morethan Miller he played a lot of DE for Georgia, so he may be viewed as more of a risky pick, as you're asking him to essentially switch positions.

I'm also a fan of Quinn's, but believe him being out of football for over a year will pretty much eliminate his possibility of being the pick at #3. Doesn't fit Buddy's MO. He too would have to switch positions to OLB in a 3-4, which could scare teams as well. No football for over a year, and a position switch is a big hill to climb for a rookie.

If Dareus is gone the pick likely will be a decision between Miller and Bowers, which is why I wanted to know what people thought about Bowers. For the record, I don't beleive Fairley is a good fit in the 3-4.

Edited by Estro

I don't seem to think Bowers is a fit in a 3-4 base defense. The only position I can envison him being able to play in a 3-4 would be OLB, and that'd be a huge gamble to take at the #3. Picking a guy who's played his entire career with his hand in the dirt and then asking him to go learn a new position and play in space in the pros would be much too risky.

Bowers is 6'3" and 280 lbs, which actually indicates he could possibly man the 5 technique. Compare that to Alex Carrington who weighs in at 6'5" and 280 lbs. I'm just not convinced he's strong enough to be an effective 5 technique. Not to mention, I believe his biggest asset, which is his pass rush would be somewhat wasted in a 3-4.

Who knows, if Gailey is being truthful about wanting to run a variable 3-4 with some 4-3 looks mixed in, maybe Bowers makes more sense. I wanted to see what others thought of Bowers on our current defense. Does he fit? Is he too much of a one year wonder for Nix to pull the trigger? Speaking of Nix, here's what he had to say about Boweres at the Combine (remember you can't believe everything coming out of GM's mouths 2 months before the draft):

Nix has stated on more than one occasion that the Bills will be drafting for the 3-4. After last year's poor production though, there have been a lot of different things that they tried to do. They know they have a guy that they can build around in Kyle Williams, but we all know he is not a prototypical NT for a 3-4. I have a feeling that our draft guys realize this too and are not going to try and make our current players be something they are not. They want to put them in a position to make more plays and not get "ball and chain" married to a scheme. The hybrid talk by Gailey indicates that they want to build off our current strengths by putting our play makers in a position to succeed. That being said, they will draft the guy they think will have the greatest impact regardless of whether they are projected as a 3-4 or 4-3 player. I really think that they want someone next to Kyle "The Wrecking Ball" Williams to put some real pressure on offensive lines. To me this sounds like it would be a 3-4DE/4-3DT. Someone that can do both. This way it will be a top draft pick that will play next to our current probowler and have a chance to really dominate.

As for Von Miller, I really like him. I just don't know if the Bill's will be willing to take him at #3 and try to find someone to go next to Kyle later. They said they want at least 2 more DEs and it seems to me that they will want one in round one.

Edited by Rockinon

If you have ever seen Bowers run in pads then you would know he is going to keep his hand down in whatever front he plays in. He would make a pretty good 5 tech I think, he anchors well and geets good extension on his blocker. He controls his blocker very well, and I think he is better vrs then run than the pass.

He is nowhere near as good as Bruce, but he is a rare talent that can play 5 tech and really bring the heat to the QB.

I think Dareaus and Bowers would both thrive as a DE in our 3-4 or 4-3, they are that good.

Give me Dareus any day over Bowers. Dareus has an extra 30-40 lbs on Bowers, and the Bills desperately need good big guys. There is no benefit to having a good pass rusher, if teams can just ran all over us instead of throwing it...

Same argument against Miller. Miller and Bowers could both be great pro's, just not the Bills as the roster stands right now...

...I really think that they want someone next to Kyle "The Wrecking Ball" Williams to put some real pressure on offensive lines. To me this sounds like it would be a 3-4DE/4-3DT. Someone that can do both. This way it will be a top draft pick that will play next to our current probowler and have a chance to really dominate...

That describes Dareus to a T. But I don't see him getting past the Broncos, unfortunately.

GO BILLS!!!