Wisconsin Union Bashing Bill Passes

Did Republicans give up on creating jobs while they push their social agendas? OHHHHHH, so it was all because the GOP was sworn into office that the unemployment rate is coming down ok. Any good trends happen because of Republicans, any downward trends all Democrats and the Unions fault. Makes sense... only to the right. Yes, Wall Street and the wealthy is on track. Middle-class not so much. Face it, it's not trickling down.

It all makes as much sense as whining like a little girl "Where are the jobs?" It's right from the Huffington Post playbook of progressive crying. That point was obviously lost on you.

Here's the thing: the country is broken. State by state, it's broken. People need to find innovative ways to fix it. Instead of sitting down and trying to work it out, some people run away while their minions throw temper tantrums in public buildings.

Some people act. Others whine. So either act, or quit whining. It's over. Collective bargaining is gone. Banging drums and threatening to kill people does nothing but hurt your cause.

Go back to work, be productive, and either wait for the next election cycle or gather those half million names to recall Walker.

Otherwise, please...STFU. It's over.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about looney. Taking dues from their paycheck against their will. Sorry it's called being a member. Members pay dues.

What if I want to be a teacher but don't want to be in a union or pay union dues? What if I want to be a teacher but I'm a fiscal conservative? Why do I have to pay hundreds of dollars to support something I don't believe in?

How can I hate the guy? The guy is acting like a dictator... his way or the highway. Sorry that it not how a democracy works.

Elections have consequences. The republicans won. That's EXACTLY how democracy works.

By the way, since he got his way did he recall those 1,500 teacher pink slips? Let me guess, nope. Why aren't Republicans going after those golden parachutes and Wall Street people that created this economic mess?

Nice, you hate the guy but don't actually pay any attention to what he says or does. Guess what one of the first things he said after the bill passed? "Now we don't have to layoff 1,500 people." That didn't get a lot of coverage though, did it? :rolleyes: As for "Wall Street people," last I checked Milwaukee wasn't teaming with bank execs... So how is WISCONSIN supposed to fix their budget?

Before spouting hate, why don't you actually learn to read a little about the topics from multiple news sources? Hell, why do you have such hatred for a guy who isn't even running your state! He's running the state I live in, and many people here support what he's doing believe it or not.

Hell, why do you have such hatred for a guy who isn't even running your state! He's running the state I live in, and many people here support what he's doing believe it or not.

That's because you're stupid. You see, Walker hates the middle class. He's trying to ruin them. It's all about solidarity! Those employees don't have union dues taken out of the pay against their will! They're more than welcome to quit their job so dues aren't taken out!

To be honest, I thought the whole "mandatory dues from your paycheck" thing was bad on principle only. Because I've never belonged to a union or really have any friends who belong to a union, I figured dues was like, maybe, $50 a person...tops. When I found out that these people pay upwards of $1200 A YEAR, I almost crapped myself.

Now I firmly believe this is what the unions fear more than anything. Taking home another $100/month in these times is going to be HUGE for many people. Imagine a married couple working for the state suddenly able to bring home another $150-$200/month? They'll probably say to themselves, "Well, I'll consider joining next year if things pick up, but right now I need this money." And we all know how that line of thinking ends up.

The union bosses are about to take in hard in their financial piehole without so much as a reacharound.

The union bosses are about to take in hard in their financial piehole without so much as a reacharound.

Bingo. The union members are middle class, but the bosses definitely aren't.

I love it when union members "defend" their system, and then you turn around and read about young outstanding teachers being fired due to lack of seniority.

http://www.jsonline....n/96349689.html

Milwaukee School Board President Michael Bonds said the situation in Milwaukee reflects economic reality and has nothing to do with teacher performance. The district has to lay off teachers based on seniority, he said.

Did Republicans give up on creating jobs while they push their social agendas? OHHHHHH, so it was all because the GOP was sworn into office that the unemployment rate is coming down ok. Any good trends happen because of Republicans, any downward trends all Democrats and the Unions fault. Makes sense... only to the right. Yes, Wall Street and the wealthy is on track. Middle-class not so much. Face it, it's not trickling down.

If it's not trickling down where did these jobs come from?

I don't like that the demoncrats split town and I don't like that the repukelicans rammed it through. I don't like that both parties have no idea whats best for the country. I don't like that both parties are for themselves instead of the country. Best place on earth.......whatever

Dont cry for those workers in WI. Read this..........

http://www.bellingha...s-overpaid.html#

Amid the rage over Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's proposals to shrink government worker compensation, one question predominates: Are these workers overpaid? If so, it makes sense for them to accept less, rather than force taxpayers to give up more.

We're told, of course, that they're not. In recent weeks, left-leaning think tanks have tried to portray public employees, including government workers, as underpaid. A recent report from the Economic Policy Institute concluded that Wisconsin public employees are undercompensated by about 5 percent compared to private workers with similar skills and personal characteristics.

When counting the full value of benefits and job security, however, public employment in Wisconsin is a very good deal indeed.

As in most states, Wisconsin state and local workers make less in wages but more in benefits than comparable private workers. According to our analysis of the Current Population Survey, Wisconsin public workers have earned about 5 percent less in wages over the past five years than private workers in large firms - after controlling for age, education and many other earnings-related characteristics. (The penalty would disappear almost entirely if we compared public workers to employees of all private firms, not just the largest ones.)

Do generous benefits outweigh this wage penalty? The EPI report acknowledges that public-sector benefits are more generous than in private firms - equal to around 27 percent of total compensation for Wisconsin public workers, versus 19 percent to 23 percent for private employees. This already makes total pay nearly even for public- and private-sector employees.

But the EPI study underestimates public-sector pension benefits, omits retiree health benefits, and doesn't count the value of public-sector job security.

Wisconsin public employers fund their defined-benefit plans by calculating the contributions today which, compounded at an assumed 7.8 percent interest rate, will be sufficient to pay promised benefits at retirement. Since public-pension benefits are guaranteed by Wisconsin law even if investment returns fall short, this means that public employees receive a riskless 7.8 percent return on their employer's pension contributions.

Private-sector employees with 401(k) plans, by contrast, can earn only around a 4 percent guaranteed return by holding U.S. Treasury securities. Adjusting for this difference adds around 4 percent to total Wisconsin public-employee compensation.

Another overlooked benefit that most state and local employees receive is retiree health coverage. Even the simple right to buy into the employees' plan, which is what most Wisconsin public retirees receive, is a good deal compared to the cost of a 60-year old purchasing coverage in the individual market.

Other public employees receive an even better deal: retired Milwaukee teachers receive full health coverage at almost no cost to themselves, a benefit that actuarial reports conclude is worth around an extra 17 percent of pay. While the value of retiree health benefits varies among Wisconsin public employees, almost all receive a better deal than the private sector, where retiree health coverage is both rare and stingy by comparison.

Finally, public-sector workers enjoy significantly greater job security than private-sector workers. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that nationwide, state and local employees are fired or laid off at less than one-third the rate in the private sector. How much is this job security worth? A lot. A worker who loses his job spends an average of almost 20 weeks unemployed, during which time he must subsist on unemployment benefits.

We can put a number on this. Assuming that Wisconsin workers would have the same probability of being discharged, and the same duration of unemployment as private workers, their extra job security is equivalent to about a 9 percent increase in pay.

In short, the total job package for Wisconsin public employees - salaries, benefits and job security - is roughly 10 percent higher than what is paid to similar private workers, and in certain cases far more. Government workers should bear that in mind as they press their demands.

I don't like that the demoncrats split town and I don't like that the repukelicans rammed it through. I don't like that both parties have no idea whats best for the country. I don't like that both parties are for themselves instead of the country. Best place on earth.......whatever

Why are you still living here? Or have you moved to Europe?

Best solution to all of this is privatize all of it. Open it to competitive bidding. INCLUDING schools. Then you would see true savings on the part of taxpayers. True efficiency. Only things you can't are military, security, police. All others are non essential and therefore great opportunities for privatization.

Dont cry for those workers in WI. Read this..........

http://www.bellingha...s-overpaid.html#

Amid the rage over Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's proposals to shrink government worker compensation, one question predominates: Are these workers overpaid? If so, it makes sense for them to accept less, rather than force taxpayers to give up more.

We're told, of course, that they're not. In recent weeks, left-leaning think tanks have tried to portray public employees, including government workers, as underpaid. A recent report from the Economic Policy Institute concluded that Wisconsin public employees are undercompensated by about 5 percent compared to private workers with similar skills and personal characteristics.

When counting the full value of benefits and job security, however, public employment in Wisconsin is a very good deal indeed.

As in most states, Wisconsin state and local workers make less in wages but more in benefits than comparable private workers. According to our analysis of the Current Population Survey, Wisconsin public workers have earned about 5 percent less in wages over the past five years than private workers in large firms - after controlling for age, education and many other earnings-related characteristics. (The penalty would disappear almost entirely if we compared public workers to employees of all private firms, not just the largest ones.)

Do generous benefits outweigh this wage penalty? The EPI report acknowledges that public-sector benefits are more generous than in private firms - equal to around 27 percent of total compensation for Wisconsin public workers, versus 19 percent to 23 percent for private employees. This already makes total pay nearly even for public- and private-sector employees.

But the EPI study underestimates public-sector pension benefits, omits retiree health benefits, and doesn't count the value of public-sector job security.

Wisconsin public employers fund their defined-benefit plans by calculating the contributions today which, compounded at an assumed 7.8 percent interest rate, will be sufficient to pay promised benefits at retirement. Since public-pension benefits are guaranteed by Wisconsin law even if investment returns fall short, this means that public employees receive a riskless 7.8 percent return on their employer's pension contributions.

Private-sector employees with 401(k) plans, by contrast, can earn only around a 4 percent guaranteed return by holding U.S. Treasury securities. Adjusting for this difference adds around 4 percent to total Wisconsin public-employee compensation.

Another overlooked benefit that most state and local employees receive is retiree health coverage. Even the simple right to buy into the employees' plan, which is what most Wisconsin public retirees receive, is a good deal compared to the cost of a 60-year old purchasing coverage in the individual market.

Other public employees receive an even better deal: retired Milwaukee teachers receive full health coverage at almost no cost to themselves, a benefit that actuarial reports conclude is worth around an extra 17 percent of pay. While the value of retiree health benefits varies among Wisconsin public employees, almost all receive a better deal than the private sector, where retiree health coverage is both rare and stingy by comparison.

Finally, public-sector workers enjoy significantly greater job security than private-sector workers. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that nationwide, state and local employees are fired or laid off at less than one-third the rate in the private sector. How much is this job security worth? A lot. A worker who loses his job spends an average of almost 20 weeks unemployed, during which time he must subsist on unemployment benefits.

We can put a number on this. Assuming that Wisconsin workers would have the same probability of being discharged, and the same duration of unemployment as private workers, their extra job security is equivalent to about a 9 percent increase in pay.

In short, the total job package for Wisconsin public employees - salaries, benefits and job security - is roughly 10 percent higher than what is paid to similar private workers, and in certain cases far more. Government workers should bear that in mind as they press their demands.

So money in pocket they make less, but damn it. They have job security and a solid pension. I hate them, because my 401(k) sucks and I have no job security. In other words... MOM THEY HAVE BETTER TOYS THAN ME - TAKE IT AWAY FROM THEM. WHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! And really the funny part about that is now we're weighing in the cost of being fired. Seriously, that's pathetic. If anyone loses their job union or non-union it sucks.

Now that this is done in Wisconsin. Let's hope the Republicans go after churches and military families. Let's make military families pay more for their benefits too!!!

And then he turned around and fired all the air traffic controllers.

Do you ever think before you post?

Yes, moron... those air traffic controllers went against the no strike clause in their contract. Giving him the opportunity to do.

Best solution to all of this is privatize all of it. Open it to competitive bidding. INCLUDING schools. Then you would see true savings on the part of taxpayers. True efficiency. Only things you can't are military, security, police. All others are non essential and therefore great opportunities for privatization.

Yes, let's privatize everything. I'm sure that will work out just fine. HAHAHAHAHA!!!

And then he turned around and fired all the air traffic controllers.

Do you ever think before you post?

Stupid point. He didn't just fire them for negoitating, he did it because they went out on strike and were not suppose to. Do you ever think before any of your million posts a day?

Anyway, here is my new Conservative hero. If going after the teachers wasn't political stupidity, going after the Conservative's benefits sure is. Go baby!!

http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-chait/85108/paul-ryan-slams-uninformed-conservative-colleagues

Let's start with the banks! Oh wait... :unsure:

So passing the anti-worker legislation saved jobs.

Yes. The governor saves 1,500 jobs and the cost was the loss to the public unions to collectively bargain for benefits for their members.

The unions are still the collective bargaining agent for their members wages and work rules.

The buck stops there.

Yes. The governor saves 1,500 jobs and the cost was the loss to the public unions to collectively bargain for benefits for their members.

The unions are still the collective bargaining agent for their members wages and work rules.

The buck stops there.

Was this after the Governor received concessions from those same unions, matching exactly what he asked for originally. Yet, wasn't good enough then? Seems to me, that those 1,500 jobs were saved once the concessions were given.

So money in pocket they make less, but damn it. They have job security and a solid pension. I hate them, because my 401(k) sucks and I have no job security. In other words... MOM THEY HAVE BETTER TOYS THAN ME - TAKE IT AWAY FROM THEM. WHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! And really the funny part about that is now we're weighing in the cost of being fired. Seriously, that's pathetic. If anyone loses their job union or non-union it sucks.

Now that this is done in Wisconsin. Let's hope the Republicans go after churches and military families. Let's make military families pay more for their benefits too!!!

Yes, moron... those air traffic controllers went against the no strike clause in their contract. Giving him the opportunity to do.

Yes, let's privatize everything. I'm sure that will work out just fine. HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Why wouldn't it? It would give people more choice. Lower price. Probably no union douchebags to ruin things. All good.

Stupid point. He didn't just fire them for negoitating, he did it because they went out on strike and were not suppose to. Do you ever think before any of your million posts a day?

Anyway, here is my new Conservative hero. If going after the teachers wasn't political stupidity, going after the Conservative's benefits sure is. Go baby!!

http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-chait/85108/paul-ryan-slams-uninformed-conservative-colleagues

Let's start with the banks! Oh wait... :unsure:

Good point. Since it was government intervention that was a big part of the problem. Lets free the banks as well.

Edited by Dante

Why wouldn't it? It would give people more choice. Lower price. Probably no union douchebags to ruin things. All good.

Good point. Since it was government intervention that was a big part of the problem. Lets free the banks as well.

No just business/management douchebags to ruin things, just like Wall Street. And yeah, let's free those banks to do whatever they need to do. OH wait, they'll just F things up again with no regulations/oversight.