Ah, yes - the "temporary" tax

Isn't 'temporary tax' an oxymoron ?

In WV several years ago the govt. placed a 6% tax on food

to alleviate a huge financial crisis and promised to reduce it

as times got better.

After 10 years of 6%, the govt. actually came through and

made reductions by 1% increments. Today it is 3%.

Isn't 'temporary tax' an oxymoron ?

In WV several years ago the govt. placed a 6% tax on food

to alleviate a huge financial crisis and promised to reduce it

as times got better.

After 10 years of 6%, the govt. actually came through and

made reductions by 1% increments. Today it is 3%.

Just wondering, how is that an example of being an oxymoron?

Here in CA they're in the process of trying to get on the ballot in June extension of temporary tax hikes. That is definitely not going to pass if it's put on the ballot. Stick it up your ass. Figure it out Jerry. If they extend them we'll forget they were temporary and they'll never go away.

Here in CA they're in the process of trying to get on the ballot in June extension of temporary tax hikes. That is definitely not going to pass if it's put on the ballot. Stick it up your ass. Figure it out Jerry. If they extend them we'll forget they were temporary and they'll never go away.

It'll pass with room to spare. Mark my words. Jerry will get out the union vote (especially the purple people beaters and state workers), who realize that without the tax hike, their pensions are toast.

This is California. I fully expect us to be the first state in the union to prove that in due time you WILL run out of other peoples' money.

It'll pass with room to spare. Mark my words. Jerry will get out the union vote (especially the purple people beaters and state workers), who realize that without the tax hike, their pensions are toast.

This is California. I fully expect us to be the first state in the union to prove that in due time you WILL run out of other peoples' money.

Oh come on now, they've yet to enact their clever plan to spam email people about helping out a California Prince.

State funded infomercials with the Sham-Wow guy.

California relief fund commercials - For only $1 a day, you can help a poor helpless CA Representative spend your money on food and medicine for an illegal immigrant or union employee.

Some kind of Charlie Sheen Twitter tax.

Going ahead and fully emptying out all the prisons.

The possibilities are endless.

First off it may not even make it on the ballot. And we already voted down a two year extension (by 65%) so I'm pretty sure we'll vote down a five year extension.

Not until you run out of other people. They'll probably try to find a way to tax the income of people in other states, like they keep trying to do here.

First off it may not even make it on the ballot. And we already voted down a two year extension (by 65%) so I'm pretty sure we'll vote down a five year extension.

I genuinely hope you are right.

Not until you run out of other people. They'll probably try to find a way to tax the income of people in other states, like they keep trying to do here.

Different angle, but this past year my company had to file tax forms breaking down everything we purchased online that was not subjected to state taxes, and then calculate and pay the taxes on the items we didn't buy here.

Different angle, but this past year my company had to file tax forms breaking down everything we purchased online that was not subjected to state taxes, and then calculate and pay the taxes on the items we didn't buy here.

That doesn't surprise me at all...most states with sales tax are trying to collect on out-of-state internet purchases. What's more, some states are talking about doing so on normal "brick and mortar" retail purchases (hypothetical e.g. I go to the outlet mall in Delaware, buy $500 worth of marked-down crap, MD says "Hey, you owe us sales tax on the purchase since you live in MD!")

And DC routinely floats the idea of taxing the income of anyone who works in DC...since so many commute from MD or VA into DC, hence don't pay DC income tax (also why DC has a 10% sales tax). I believe NY (or maybe just NYC, with all the people from CT and Jersey commuting) has considered similar.

Bottom line is: when budgets become tight, no one wants to spend less, they just look for new sources of income.

And DC routinely floats the idea of taxing the income of anyone who works in DC...since so many commute from MD or VA into DC, hence don't pay DC income tax (also why DC has a 10% sales tax

Why don't they pay income tax to DC?

I live in WI, work in MN. After the two state governors got mad at each other last year, they pulled tax reciprocity. So I now pay all of my state tax to MN. It's taxable in WI as well, but I get a "credit" for paying taxes to MN. When all's said and done this year, I'll be paying $0 of income tax to WI; it all went to MN.

Similar to professional athletes who have to pay tax in the states they play in.

Is it because DC isn't a state?

Why don't they pay income tax to DC?

I live in WI, work in MN. After the two state governors got mad at each other last year, they pulled tax reciprocity. So I now pay all of my state tax to MN. It's taxable in WI as well, but I get a "credit" for paying taxes to MN. When all's said and done this year, I'll be paying $0 of income tax to WI; it all went to MN.

Similar to professional athletes who have to pay tax in the states they play in.

Is it because DC isn't a state?

They don't pay income tax to DC because apparently this region isn't as !@#$ed up as yours. I think the better question is: why the !@#$ do you pay income tax to MN if you don't live there? :wacko:

They don't pay income tax to DC because apparently this region isn't as !@#$ed up as yours. I think the better question is: why the !@#$ do you pay income tax to MN if you don't live there? :wacko:

I just dug into and found my answer -- you don't pay taxes to DC because of a reciprocity agreement between DC and VA. They take care of shifting tax dollars for you, behind the scenes. (the below link is outdated since it shows MN and WI have reciprocity)

http://www.gaebler.com/State-Income-Tax-Reciprocal-Agreements.htm

Minnesota and Wisconsin had a reciprocity agreement, but it was canceled when the two governors couldn't get along a couple of years ago. MN was saying WI wasn't paying their share of income taxes fast enough (more people live in WI and work in MN -- therefore WI has to cut MN a check at some point). So MN canceled the agreement.

You pay taxes to the state you live AND the state you work:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_pro_athletes_pay_taxes_where_they_live_or_work

Wisconsin gives a tax credit for taxes paid to Minnesota -- I'm assuming most states have that clause, but who knows...

Did I teach Tom something...? :D

I just dug into and found my answer -- you don't pay taxes to DC because of a reciprocity agreement between DC and VA. They take care of shifting tax dollars for you, behind the scenes. (the below link is outdated since it shows MN and WI have reciprocity)

http://www.gaebler.com/State-Income-Tax-Reciprocal-Agreements.htm

Minnesota and Wisconsin had a reciprocity agreement, but it was canceled when the two governors couldn't get along a couple of years ago. MN was saying WI wasn't paying their share of income taxes fast enough (more people live in WI and work in MN -- therefore WI has to cut MN a check at some point). So MN canceled the agreement.

You pay taxes to the state you live AND the state you work:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_pro_athletes_pay_taxes_where_they_live_or_work

Wisconsin gives a tax credit for taxes paid to Minnesota -- I'm assuming most states have that clause, but who knows...

Did I teach Tom something...? :D

Hey, I've never said I know everything. The rest of you just assume it.

I've pointed out that I'm never wrong. Completely different... :rolleyes: