OT- computer question, LCD question

buffalo mike

I was in a huge discussion at Sears talking TV's. This question has come up several times in the past. Is it better to leave a computer on all the time, or turn it off. The reason being I have always been told the hardest on a tv is turning it off and on, because the bulbs had to heat and cool. What about newer sets, LCD, which is what a laptop is, DLP, etc. He kept referring to the fact that the new sets have a bulb life of 3-5,0000 hrs. depending on if it was being turned off and on. 5,000 IF IT WAS LEFT ON. Any input? Also mentioned about a bulb in the Smithsonian institute that was never turned off and is still on, but the one that has been turned on and off has been replaced several times.

I was in a huge discussion at Sears talking TV's. This question has come up several times in the past. Is it better to leave a computer on all the time, or turn it off. The reason being I have always been told the hardest on a tv is turning it off and on, because the bulbs had to heat and cool. What about newer sets, LCD, which is what a laptop is, DLP, etc. He kept referring to the fact that the new sets have a bulb life of 3-5,0000 hrs. depending on if it was being turned off and on. 5,000 IF IT WAS LEFT ON. Any input? Also mentioned about a bulb in the Smithsonian institute that was never turned off and is still on, but the one that has been turned on and off has been replaced several times.

160070[/snapback]

I leave mine on all the time with proper power conditioning (APC UPS that's rated).