Does Your Dog Have GI Issues and/or Fart Excessively?

ajzepp

Pretty sure, cause the problem persisted even after Lana left.

Hey, don't be blaming your flatulence problems on me! :P

I was feeding my dog Beneful but recently switched to the Natural Balance food cause I was reading up how the Beniful food is just like feeing your dog junk food. My dog loved the Beneful (of course lol) but turns her nose up at this Natural balance stuff...unless I put olive oil on the food. Damn picky dog! :lol: Anyway, I also decided to try is new food to see if it will make her itchy skin go away. Now I just have to get her to eat it! Anyone else have a problem with picky eaters?

Edited by LanaK6

A decent site on this topic that I found awhile back is dogfoodadvisor.com.

They list a ton of brands and try to be objective regarding their ratings (read their "The Problem with Dog Food Reviews" page).

Wish I'd have known better back in the day.

A dog is love.

A decent site on this topic that I found awhile back is dogfoodadvisor.com.

They list a ton of brands and try to be objective regarding their ratings (read their "The Problem with Dog Food Reviews" page).

Wish I'd have known better back in the day.

A dog is love.

Hmm. Just spent about 2 hours on that site. Sam's Club has only high-corn content, ambiguous "meat" classification 1-star options.

Might try some AvoDerm at Petsmart nearby and mix in some 'people food' to extend it (eggs, leftover meat, carrots, potatoes, etc). Do they have a special thing where frequent food buyers get a couple-few bucks off? When going there for leashes, etc? We've always been asked about a member card or something, and have always said no. As with anything, price is a concern. We've never had health concerns with our other guys or 3 litters with the Sam's/Purina, but I'd be interested if it could help with the coat, and particularly with the shedding issues, as mentioned.

My uncle has had a string of standard poodles --- hence my desire to at least look at one, before our current GSP was picked w/o my input. But, I guess everything happens for a reason.... With his last one (he's now 80 and in rapidly declining health) after the dog food issues several years ago, my uncle fed him the same food he ate (the dog died at ~8-9 last year of a hepatitis that apparently happens not infrequently in standard poodles). I'm not sure this was the best way to go, but a middle ground probably would make more sense.

On edit: PetCo has the AvoDerm for ~$10 cheaper per 30-lb bag, online sale at least.... And amazon.com is regularly ~$8 cheaper (before shipping).

Edited by UConn James

What about Science Diet? We have two cats and the older one is almost 16 years old... It is the only thing we ever fed them.

I know it didn't seem to agree with my dog (one of them), but seems like a lot of people use that brand.

I know it didn't seem to agree with my dog (one of them), but seems like a lot of people use that brand.

I know the vets really push it with their own "RX" formulas... We just figure... Heck, it is expensive... But works... After almost 16 years & our older cat seems to be doing well.. She is getting old though! :( :(

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I know the vets really push it with their own "RX" formulas... We just figures... Heck, it is expensive... But works... After almost 16 years our older cat seems to be doing well.. She is getting old though! :( :(

I'm in the same boat..my little guy is going to be 16 in July...I'm gonna be a mess when the time comes :(

I'm in the same boat..my little guy is going to be 16 in July...I'm gonna be a mess when the time comes :(

I hear you... With our older female cat.. You can tell she goes more and it is thicker... Still we put water in differnt spots to encourage her to drink more and more... Sure it is more work, but we stay on top of things... I guess with older females cats... The urinary tract is the real issues.

You figure... 16 years is like well into the 80's or even 90's for humans.

I hear you... With our older female cat.. You can tell she goes more and it is thicker... Still we put water in differnt spots to encourage her to drink more and more... Sure it is more work, but we stay on top of things... I guess with older females cats... The urinary tract is the real issues.

You figure... 16 years is like well into the 80's or even 90's for humans.

As much as I would never NOT have pets, when their time comes to an end sometimes it can make you feel it's something you'll never do again....just too hard. Ugh...

As much as I would never NOT have pets, when their time comes to an end sometimes it can make you feel it's something you'll never do again....just too hard. Ugh...

I agree! She is doing well... Not having accidents and what not... Really healthy and no sign of infection (attempting to go and not going). I think in the coming few years, it will be harder on my children and wife... She was here before my children were born... That is all they know. My wife did get me to agree about getting another... He just turned 2 on Sunday....

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Our previous GSP (from a litter that we raised, so he was here all his life) had to be put down very suddenly nearly 3 years ago, a year to the hour that we had to make a compassionate decision to put down his father. Combined with other losses, it nearly wrecked me. Spent almost 2 years w/o a dog after having them all my life. A lot of the joy was really sucked out of this house.

I think the last straw toward getting another was the drunken ice fisher who entered our basement the weekend of the Super Bowl last year. That was a little scary. You'd be surprised how fast a low growl and a full set of canines can make even drunks aware of the moment. The upshot of it is, now we have this crazy little kraut. If we could just get him to calm down/slow down a little. Especially when they're young, this breed and its close cousins are very much "1,000 miles an hour down a dead end street."

EII, and AJ, I can honestly recommend that if you can handle it space-wise and sanity-wise, and if you can afford it, getting a puppy as the older one gets closer to the end of the average lifespan is a good idea, 1) so s/he can teach the young one the ropes, which is many times more effective than any teaching method you alone can do and 2) it really cushions the blow when it happens --- especially for children, I'd say.