Anyone have a recommendation for guitar lessons?

The Poojer

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guitar tricks is good. Tons of things on YouTube. There are a ton of resources. The only thing that really matters is the time you put in. No matter what you're learning or practicing, it's worth it.

The ultimate guitar archive is the best source of free music. For beginner, download the highest rated "chord" songs and learn the chords.

If you want singalong folk music,a great book is rise up singing. Lots of songs that are easy to play once you have some basic chord changes under your belt.

When it comes to guitar instruction for beginners, there is only one name El Poojer needs to know...

...say it with me...

...it rolls off the tongue with ease...

...the name is....

...Esteban!

(I don't really know if this guy is a good teacher or not...just like to say his name)

if you want to learn fingerpicking, Mark Hanson's series of books is hard to beat. i'm finding garage band great for beginning blues but you need a mac and it's better suited to an electric. zager guitars has a nice series of easy songs to learn in an unconventional manner in their learning section. finally guitar noise has some great instruction but the site was gutted of some of it's best songs when the music publishing industry threatened them.

if you want to learn fingerpicking, Mark Hanson's series of books is hard to beat. i'm finding garage band great for beginning blues but you need a mac and it's better suited to an electric. zager guitars has a nice series of easy songs to learn in an unconventional manner in their learning section. finally guitar noise has some great instruction but the site was gutted of some of it's best songs when the music publishing industry threatened them.

Biddog1960, I'm at work so I can't check but does garageband finally have more than 8 lessons? Last time I checked--a year or so ago, they had barely any lessons. Seemed like that hadn't caught on at all.

**Just checked this online. There are now 40 lessons. Not a lot but you're right: Great beginner resource.

Looking for good lessons on YouTube or other online resource...complete newbie, something I could stream and pause would be great...acoustic btw...

There are countless Dave Matthews lessons on there. All acoustic. All really fun to play, all sound really good, all nice jams, all the perfect combo of a challenge yet doable (with work) for a beginner/intermediate.

Type in "How to play ______ by Dave Matthews" and you'll get someone that knows what they're doing and teaches it well.

Start with maybe #41 or "So much to Say."

The reason I recommend it is b/c there's a lot of them out there, most are good, and it introduces you to some interesting chords and "moves" which is invaluable when first learning and setting your base up. It will teach you to play the hell out of the thing and not just play chords/songs...it will teach you to "really play"...w/ a little funk/style ect...

Biddog1960, I'm at work so I can't check but does garageband finally have more than 8 lessons? Last time I checked--a year or so ago, they had barely any lessons. Seemed like that hadn't caught on at all.

**Just checked this online. There are now 40 lessons. Not a lot but you're right: Great beginner resource.

i've only worked my way through the 6 blues lessons. will try rock next. these all came loaded on my wifes new macbook. i love doing the play mode with the backing tracks. haven't bought any of the lessons from the star musicians but they look like a good deal. i'm a beginner at all this since i played almost exclusively acoustic fingerpicking, mostly travis picking before. i think it's a fun and effective way to learn. think it would take twice as long with an actual teacher to advance. do you know how to plug your electric into the macbook? is it just buying an adapter for the large guitar plug to a mini plug and going through the headphone jack or do i need a special part?

i've only worked my way through the 6 blues lessons. will try rock next. these all came loaded on my wifes new macbook. i love doing the play mode with the backing tracks. haven't bought any of the lessons from the star musicians but they look like a good deal. i'm a beginner at all this since i played almost exclusively acoustic fingerpicking, mostly travis picking before. i think it's a fun and effective way to learn. think it would take twice as long with an actual teacher to advance. do you know how to plug your electric into the macbook? is it just buying an adapter for the large guitar plug to a mini plug and going through the headphone jack or do i need a special part?

By all means learn what you want but if you truly are completely new....finger picking technique is not typically where you start.

By all means learn what you want but if you truly are completely new....finger picking technique is not typically where you start.

i wasn't clear. i've been playing about 5 years...liked fingerpicking the best and concentrated on that....garageband has made it easier to broaden my abilities and in a fun way. i agree with you on the you tube videos as well..will have to try some dave matthews songs from there.

Edited by birdog1960

You're an idiot. Ever heard of classical guitar?

Tom just Deaned you, piping in on a topic he has no expertise in...and he's also 100% correct. I learned fingerstyle first, rhythm playing and flat-picking second.

Tom just Deaned you, piping in on a topic he has no expertise in.../band he's also 100% correct.

pffftttt!!! That's like saying Chuck Norris got involved in a fight he can't win...not possible, brother!! :lol:

Why certainly!

BTW. Is he's Zorro's brother?

Excellent video...this is perfect evidence that Esteban has become so enlightened that he literally has guitar picks sprouting from the fingertips of his right hand! ESTEBAN IS THE CHOSEN ONE!!!

this has been highly reviewed and looks good for beginners and intermediates. anybody tried it?

I don't think it matters which site you use or what lessons you take or what teacher you use. You just need to find one that you like, for whatever reason...the style, the sound, the short skirt the teacher wears...and then dedicate yourself to it completely. Not to get all Yoda on you, but no teacher can teach you to play guitar, only you can teach you to play guitar. And you will learn just by continuously trying.

I don't think it matters which site you use or what lessons you take or what teacher you use. You just need to find one that you like, for whatever reason...the style, the sound, the short skirt the teacher wears...and then dedicate yourself to it completely. Not to get all Yoda on you, but no teacher can teach you to play guitar, only you can teach you to play guitar. And you will learn just by continuously trying.

where might i find a teacher with a short skirt and a nice capo?