Anyone have a recommendation for guitar lessons?

The Poojer

Tom just Deaned you, piping in on a topic he has no expertise in...and he's also 100% correct. I learned fingerstyle first, rhythm playing and flat-picking second.

Actually, I've played for about 25 years.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom just Deaned you, piping in on a topic he has no expertise in...and he's also 100% correct. I learned fingerstyle first, rhythm playing and flat-picking second.

Toms the most retarded poster on the board and nobody here including him could possibly dean me in guitar. There may be players that are different than me and experts in other areas that don't interest me but I'll not be "deaned." lol

If you say you learned to rock classical jams finger-style before you learned "rhythm playing" then all I can say I don't believe you or in the alternative that makes no sense.

Toms the most retarded poster on the board and nobody here including him could possibly dean me in guitar. There may be players that are different than me and experts in other areas that don't interest me but I'll not be "deaned." lol

If you say you learned to rock classical jams finger-style before you learned "rhythm playing" then all I can say I don't believe you or in the alternative that makes no sense.

First, Tom: I stand corrected.

Second, many guitar players learn to play with their fingers before ever picking up a pick and strumming. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that. It's not the norm for people just grabbing their first $100 Ibanez and looking to play Free Falling but it is not as uncommon as you might think.

Edited by Peace

tab sites are hit and miss. May of them recycle the same stuff between them, and if you get one that is wrong, it gets spread around. I have a few that I really like to use:

http://membres.multimania.fr/phyzik/Musique/ this has some Zeppelin, Beatles, Floyd, Bowie, Radiohead, but be WARNED. It is full of popups which is quite annoying.

http://www.cygnusproductions.com/rtp/ the Rush Tablature Project - no explaination neccessary.

Recently, I have been using this:

http://www.songsterr.com/

It is free, but for 10 bucks a month you get lots of other very useful features like Print function, zoom, repeat, speed, etc. Most of em are pretty good, but they are written by users so some are crappy.

I would also agree that youtube is a great source for lessons, I have learned tons of songs that way. Pretty much every song you can think of is being played by someone on there. Good luck Pooj...

First, Tom: I stand corrected.

Second, many guitar players learn to play with their fingers before ever picking up a pick and strumming. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that. It's not the norm for people just grabbing their first $100 Ibanez and looking to play Free Falling but it is not as uncommon as you might think.

At this point in time, it's extremely uncommon. I mean, yea....it's not the only way it happens. I'll give you that. But c'mon now...I've seen countless people I know get into it...I see all the people at local music stores...I've seen the way people who teach lessons work...strumming Free Falling on your imitation strat is the way to start! lol

:lol: You're a self-proclaimed world-class expert in guitar teaching who doesn't know that quite a few people actually do learn finger-picking before anything else...and I'm retarded?

Kid, you need to get out more.

:lol: You're a self-proclaimed world-class expert in guitar teaching who doesn't know that quite a few people actually do learn finger-picking before anything else...and I'm retarded?

I love you

Depends on whether you learn the technically correct way or the clandestine, figure it out as you go way, like me! :rolleyes:

Good for you. There's a support group for that. Meets Mondays. Bring donuts. Joe_the_6_pack likes chocolate glazed.

Probably everyone in that support group likes "glazed"

Looking for good lessons on YouTube or other online resource...complete newbie, something I could stream and pause would be great...acoustic btw...

I always recommend at least a couple of lessons with a professional, just to make sure you don't "learn" any bad habits that you will have to "unlearn" if you want to get really good. Prepare for sore fingertips for a while!

where might i find a teacher with a short skirt and a nice capo?

you guys are slipping...i expected a witty "g-string" comment by now. too obvious? saw my first guitar teacher today. still the same kindly, middle aged hippie. very glad he doesn't wear short skirts.

Edited by birdog1960

• 1 year later...

i just got the guitar back from my son...and i want to get him involved in lessons as well...he and i are separated by 4.5 hours so I can't just sign him up with a local(to me) instructor. I have a very basic understanding of the guitar...i need lessons though.

So, between March 6, 2011 and today what have you learned?

i just got the guitar back from my son...and i want to get him involved in lessons as well...he and i are separated by 4.5 hours so I can't just sign him up with a local(to me) instructor. I have a very basic understanding of the guitar...i need lessons though.

Did Santa bring him one for Christmas? Good project for both of you.

he actually got an electric bass and a small amp...i guess a friend of my ex had one to pretty much give away...maybe i can get one of my other sons to play drums we can be like rush and eventually get become geddy lee's mom's favorite band....I'm just warming up my arm....

Did Santa bring him one for Christmas? Good project for both of you.

he actually got an electric bass and a small amp...i guess a friend of my ex had one to pretty much give away...maybe i can get one of my other sons to play drums we can be like rush and eventually get become geddy lee's mom's favorite band....I'm just warming up my arm....

I love that commercial because of the kid. His movement and intonation as he loosens up his arm are perfect.