Do I Lock Out Mallett in RD3?

Do I Lock Out Mallett in RD3?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Do I Lock Out Mallett in RD3?

On an upcoming DraftTek "What-If" draft, New*England trades up to get AJ Green. The Bills' picks of Cameron Jordan DE and Akeem Ayers (who we'd move to ILB) were unaffected, but the computer would assign us Ryan Mallett in RD3. Players still on the board, but coming up soon, included

Rob Housler TE

Jerrell Powe NT

Christian Ponder QB

Colin Kaepernick QB

Austin Pettis WR

The Question: Do you take Mallett? Do you you want me to "Lock Out" the choice of Mallett so the computer picks one of the others?

Astro

Edited by Astrobot

If Mallett is there in the 3rd round, then you take him. He impressed during interviews, he impressed throwing the ball. He took a drug test, which I'm sure if he had failed, reports would have surfaced saying he did.

He has an elite arm and elite size. You can't teach those things. He comes from a pro style offense. From a football standpoint, he must be taken. You don't have to run 4.5 40, or be an athletic freak to succeed as an NFL QB. He would be an absolute steal in round 3.

If Mallett is there in the 3rd round, then you take him. He impressed during interviews, he impressed throwing the ball. He took a drug test, which I'm sure if he had failed, reports would have surfaced saying he did.

He has an elite arm and elite size. You can't teach those things. He comes from a pro style offense. From a football standpoint, he must be taken. You don't have to run 4.5 40, or be an athletic freak to succeed as an NFL QB. He would be an absolute steal in round 3.

im not saying that he wont be good for someone, but i dont think he fits the mold of what chan wants to do offensively. i remember him specifically having issues with troy aikman being too slow, and i know he liked/likes the mobile qbs that he has had pretty much everywhere else. it just leads me to believe its not the direction he will want to go.

i know scheme shouldnt totally dictate the players drafted, and im a huge bpa guy, but the qb and coach have to be 100% on the same page for real long term success and development. if they are always battling, bad things happen.

from last year alone you saw it from chilly and favre, VY and fisher, and a few other places. it just works better when the qb both has the same vision as the coach, and can execute it too. examples being sean peyton and drew, brady and bellichek. i think chan and mallett would fall in the bad category, even if mallett is talented.

im not saying that he wont be good for someone, but i dont think he fits the mold of what chan wants to do offensively. i remember him specifically having issues with troy aikman being too slow, and i know he liked/likes the mobile qbs that he has had pretty much everywhere else. it just leads me to believe its not the direction he will want to go.

i know scheme shouldnt totally dictate the players drafted, and im a huge bpa guy, but the qb and coach have to be 100% on the same page for real long term success and development. if they are always battling, bad things happen.

from last year alone you saw it from chilly and favre, VY and fisher, and a few other places. it just works better when the qb both has the same vision as the coach, and can execute it too. examples being sean peyton and drew, brady and bellichek. i think chan and mallett would fall in the bad category, even if mallett is talented.

Chan's offensive scheme doesn't require a mobile QB. And who's really to say that Mallett and Chan couldn't be on the same page? What makes you think that Mallett and Chan would fall in the bad category? Chan likes mobile QB's because they can hurt a team in more than one way. However, so can a QB that can stay in the pocket and pick apart a defense with his arm.

Mallett's improved his footwork and completion % with each year at Arkansas. There's absolutely nothing that tells me he couldn't continue to develop in the NFL and become franchise QB if being in the right situation. Like I said, in the 3rd round (he won't last that long) it's an absolute steal.

Edited by Bangarang

Although I like Mallet (especially in RD3) I think I'd rather have Keapernick or Ponder if the option was there. I really like Kaepernick.

I'd really love this if it was possible: (assuming no trades)

Rd 1 Fairley DT/DE

Rd 2 Taylor DT

Rd 3 Kaepernick QB

Rd 4 Moch DE/OLB

Rd 4 Green TE

As you can see I really like some Nevada players. I'm not sure where Moch is expected to get drafted but Moch and Moats sounds like a killer OLB group that I can get behind. And of course Green Kaepernick being familiar with Green already it could be the resurgence of our TE position as a comfort factor for Colin.

What do you think Astro? Where will Green and Moch be drafted? Is this even possible? (speculation obviously)

I don't see us drafting another NT. We have Williams and Troup. Replacing players you drafted the year before when they haven't been given the opportunity to succeed is not successful draft strategy. Plus Nix has already stated that he thinks we're set at the NT position. And I'm not big on Fairley either. Just my opinion.

Chan's offensive scheme doesn't require a mobile QB. And who's really to say that Mallett and Chan couldn't be on the same page? What makes you think that Mallett and Chan would fall in the bad category? Chan likes mobile QB's because they can hurt a team in more than one way. However, so can a QB that can stay in the pocket and pick apart a defense with his arm.

Mallett's improved his footwork and completion % with each year at Arkansas. There's absolutely nothing that tells me he couldn't continue to develop in the NFL and become franchise QB if being in the right situation. Like I said, in the 3rd round (he won't last that long) it's an absolute steal.

heres his recent quote on mobility, which is in line with pretty much every offense he has run in the last 10-15 years.

On if mobility is important when evaluating the QB position:

I think you have to be able to adjust. Yes, mobility helps, but if you don’t have a mobile quarterback and he’s your best quarterback, you better find a way to be successful without having mobility involved in it. We did it with Troy [Aikman]. In Dallas, Troy wasn’t a bootleg-type guy. We did it a little bit just to keep them honest, but we did it other ways with him. You have to adjust. Whoever your best player is you have to adjust around what they do.

i think that it indicates that if he has his choice of qb, he is going to target mobility, but if he is stuck with something else, you do what you have to do. im not saying it is impossible that he takes mallett, but i dont think its a guy he targets as his guy for the next decade unless he has a change of heart.

he also has made comments about guys like cam, tebow etc... being the future of the nfl qb.

again, im not discussing whether i like mallett, because i do. i am addressing whether i think it is likely to draft him. i think he is way down our board if he is on it at all. i think he would have to slide pretty far to be considered. could be the third is far enough.

Take Powe.

I'm all over drafting, say, Fairley-Ayers-Powe and make us bigger and faster up the middle on "D". It'll be really interesting to see who falls to the 99th pick. Draft Breakdown has Colin Kaepernick at 98; WalterFootball has Casey Matthews ILB and Pat Devlin QB there at our 99.

After Bledsoe, just say NO to any more brain dead statues. :thumbdown:

Tell the Ravens to say no to Flacco because he's big and not very mobile. Tell the Colts to say no to Peyton because he's big and not mobile. Tell the Pats to say no to Brady because he's big and not very mobile. The whole Mallett=Bledsoe comparison is earily similar to the Newton=Young comparison.

Tell the Ravens to say no to Flacco because he's big and not very mobile. Tell the Colts to say no to Peyton because he's big and not mobile. Tell the Pats to say no to Brady because he's big and not very mobile. The whole Mallett=Bledsoe comparison is earily similar to the Newton=Young comparison.

Brady isn't brain dead. P-Gump isn't brain dead in the regular season. The verdict is still out on Flacco, but all 3 are vastly superior to Brain Dead Drew & Mallett.

Mallett is now locked out. Because of size, I am also thinking of locking out

Quan Sturdivant

Bruce Carter

Dontay Moch

Ahmad Black

Comments?

Astro

:thumbsup:

Brady isn't brain dead. P-Gump isn't brain dead in the regular season. The verdict is still out on Flacco, but all 3 are vastly superior to Brain Dead Drew & Mallett.

:thumbsup:

So you're basing Mallett being brain dead on what exactly?

Totally agree! Ryan Mallet is a no brainer in rd 3. Dude can make all the throws and his character issues don't bother me with Fitz and Chan their to coach him through his maturity issues. I liked how he handled himself at the combine (watch some of the videos)...