Bills May Luck Out!

dcjoev

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t see why so many people think this is such a crazy idea. With FA likely not happening before that draft – if at all – teams that are looking to fill that one major whole and make a SB run may be willing to move up into the top 5 this year. Couple that with the imminent rookie wage scale (which according to Vonnie Holliday has already been agreed upon between the Owner and Players Union) and teams may have two huge reason to move up this year. The Jets and Bears are two teams who were very close last year and may think that one highly-ranked rookie could get them a ring in 2011.

Another idea is trading back with the Phish. All the speculation is that they love Cam Newton. They pick at 15 this year and don’t have a 2nd round pick. They could give up a 2012 1st, and a 2011 3rd in a trade. Then, a team on the decline like the Phish, starting Newton, could very well be drafting top 5 in 2012. Wouldn’t it be ideal to screw a division rival like that? (I am assuming Newton isn’t any good, which is a safe assumption in my view). At 15 a guy like Quinn or JJ Watt may still be available. M. Wilkerson or Carimi or even Phil Taylor are guaranteed to be. 15 is a better slot for a LB value wise. Trading down again or trading back up a bit could be another option too.

The only issue I have is this. Wasnt Locker going to be the number one pick last year and now may not be drafted in the first round? Why cant this happen to Luck?

Locker was never any good. Not this year and not last year. He was never a realistic option for the #1 overall pick. This was painfully obvious to anyone who actually watched him play. This won’t happen to Luck because Luck is actually very good.

The rookie wage scale also lessens the financial risk for teams at the very top of the draft, making them less likely to want to trade down. It works both ways.

Again, the Miami scenario is far fetched in the real world and based on assumption after assumption. It may sound nice in your head, though.

First welcome to the jungle.

The only issue I have is this. Wasnt Locker going to be the number one pick last year and now may not be drafted in the first round? Why cant this happen to Luck?

^--------WINNER!!!!!

I've said this same thing before. It's rediculous to expect that Luck will be the "God" we all want next year when anything can happen.

like the trade down idea,i have been professing that for a coons age.

in regards to your idea to acquire someone's pick next year thats not allowed without a cba. you can only trade picks in this years draft if a cba is not in place.

Which kills your trade down idea. Thank you.

Now, can we move on to something realistic? Nobody is trading #1, #2, #3 or #4 for our #1 unless it's the Redskins or the Raiders. And even they are long shots with the CBA issues.

Picks in this year's draft can be traded for other picks in this year's draft.

Bah! And here we were, so close to having this silliness die the death it should have on this board, years ago.

Trade picks in this years draft. Get a mid range pick (DE) and extra second (OT) (DE) and an extra third (TE) (OLB. We would have a much better team with these five guys than we would with Cam Newton, a defensive end and an offensive tackle.

Good lord. Look: it's not that we don't want to do it. Of course we would. The problem is: nobody is going to offer us that. :wallbash: Short of the Raiders and Redskins, it ain't happening. And, it's not happening with them either, after so much recent foolishness with the draft.

And, going around criticizing the FO for "not taking a deal" or "making a deal" that nobody is offering or willing to consider is ludicrous. There are plenty of things to be accurately critical about the FO that reasonable people can discuss.

This is not one of them.

First welcome to the jungle.

Very true, one bad season and he could easily fall just like Locker did...

Locker was graded as a first round pick and there was talk he was the top QB during the season, once the smoke cleared at the end of the season he wouldn't have been the #1 overall even if he declared., Sam Bradford graded higher.

Jake Locker is still a stud and still the 2nd best QB in this years draft IMHO . The guy was rated very highly prior to last season as the #1 overall this year. Adam Schefter stated he was a right handed Steve Young. Both Tod McShay and Mel Kiper Jr also had his as going #1 over all

Locker ran a pro style offense but was drastically inconsistent last season, and scouts feel he needs a lot of work on his mechanics. Mike Mayock looked at his game tapes from last season and stated that he was awesome outside the pocket and had a much tougher time in the pocket behind center.BUT! He also stated that he noticed that just improving his footwork will help him greatly. I like Locker and after watching him at the combine I think that with a decent QB coach working with this kid, that he could very well develop into a top NFL QB.

Locker was never any good. Not this year and not last year. He was never a realistic option for the #1 overall pick. This was painfully obvious to anyone who actually watched him play. This won’t happen to Luck because Luck is actually very good.

I did not watch him at all so I can't argue that point. I was basing it on what I've read. That being said, I do think he would of been a top 3/5 pick last year and definitely the 2nd Qb drafted after Bradford.

Edited by The Tomcat

and then there's the issue of cam newton living and working in orchard park. really, is this a match? especially for a man bent on getting as much publicity as possible, endorsements etc. not only is the market here unfavorable for that but consider the southtowns demographic. who is more likely to be happier here? cam or a guy like luck? the question must be asked: if the bills take cam would he even sign a contract to play here? and will his father be the dominant influence, again, on where cam plays as archie was for eli?

Now i'm not saying that sounds suspect but it sounds suspect... To be honest he can stay downtown (like JP) it shouldn't matter where he stays. Im from the eastside of Buffalo he can stay there. What are you really trying to say? He wouldn't fit in? But Luck would coming from Califonia? What you mean by demographic? Please elaborate..

Another idea is trading back with the Phish. All the speculation is that they love Cam Newton. They pick at 15 this year and don’t have a 2nd round pick. They could give up a 2012 1st, and a 2011 3rd in a trade. Then, a team on the decline like the Phish, starting Newton, could very well be drafting top 5 in 2012. Wouldn’t it be ideal to screw a division rival like that? (I am assuming Newton isn’t any good, which is a safe assumption in my view). ...

So you think Newton isn't very good but the Phins will move up 12 spots, give up a first next year and a 3rd this year to get him?

GO BILLS!!!

Guest three3

Now i'm not saying that sounds suspect but it sounds suspect... To be honest he can stay downtown (like JP) it shouldn't matter where he stays. Im from the eastside of Buffalo he can stay there. What are you really trying to say? He wouldn't fit in? But Luck would coming from Califonia? What you mean by demographic? Please elaborate..

you know exactly what i mean. next time you are at a bills game take a look around

Instead, do the sly thing that nobody thinks your smart enough to do. Trade the #3 pick to some sucker that's willing to give u their first round pick and an extra 2nd and go get this team a defense that will dominate for the next few years. Or better yet, trade the #3 pick to a team that you're certain will be near the top of next year's draft. In return, the Bills should demand a pair of picks this year and their trade partner's first founder next year. Then if u want your franchise QB next year, you go get him by trading BOTH your first round picks and perhaps a 3rd rounder for the TOP pick in the draft. I can hear Commissioner Goodell's voice now. "... and with the first overall selection of the 2012 draft... the Buffalo Bills select... ANDREW LUCK, QUARTERBACK... STANFORD!

Good post! :thumbsup:

If there's an opportunity for the Bills to obtain the first round pick of a team they expect to have a lousy record in 2011, they should take advantage of that chance by all means! :) Then they'd have three chances to get Luck:

1) If the Bills go 1-15 in 2011, that's Luck!

2) If the team whose first rounder the Bills acquired goes 1-15, that's Luck!

3) If whichever other team gets the first overall pick is willing to make a trade, that could be Luck as well!

There are two ways that 3) could come to pass. Maybe the team with the first overall pick has a recent high draft pick at QB, such as Gabbert or even Newton. Or maybe that team needs a QB and likes Luck a lot, but has a high opinion of some other QB as well. They might decide that having that other QB, plus lots of early draft picks from the Bills, is better than having Luck.

you know exactly what i mean. next time you are at a bills game take a look around

WOW! I'm like Newton and I've been to plenty of Bills games (and sat in a club suite), what are you saying? ... You my sir blatantly pulled the race card.. Thanks for playing.. SMH...

Wow. Thanks for confirming exactly what I suspected. :thumbdown:

Watch everyone come out and say "don't be so sensitive" or dance around what he said... When its obvious what he is saying...

WOW! I'm like Newton and I've been to plenty of Bills games (and sat in a club suite), what are you saying? ... You my sir blatantly pulled the race card.. Thanks for playing.. SMH...

Watch everyone come out and say "don't be so sensitive" or dance around what he said... When its obvious what he is saying...

From socio-economic standpoints you could be correct. However, that does not mean much. Eminem and 50cent are examples. Both of them have wealth have the prestige yet none of them would fit in around Buffalo. The same goes for your average meat market guy at Wegmans who lives in Lockport. Do you think he'd fit in down in Atlanta?

You want a real dose of reality? Come down here to where I live, I'll take you to the town next to mine, I will show you the sign on the way in to town that says "N_ _ _ _ _ _, do not let the sun set on you in Denton." That is racism. That is the problem.

And, no he did not pull the race card. And, no the answer to N _ _ _ _ _ _ is not Naggers.

Edited by jboyst62

Wait, I'm confused. Is Newton Canadian?

I don’t see why so many people think this is such a crazy idea. With FA likely not happening before that draft – if at all – teams that are looking to fill that one major whole and make a SB run may be willing to move up into the top 5 this year. Couple that with the imminent rookie wage scale (which according to Vonnie Holliday has already been agreed upon between the Owner and Players Union) and teams may have two huge reason to move up this year. The Jets and Bears are two teams who were very close last year and may think that one highly-ranked rookie could get them a ring in 2011.