Need help with my cell phone

I still don't know why it's such a big deal that you can type it Rather then just talk. What's the next big advance, Morse code?

I see your point... But talking needs two-way converstation, like duh!... Texting, just like e-mail, one can blow people off or read/reply on your their schedule. Not that I agree... It is LESS interaction and less attachment to the conversation at hand. IT really is anti-social.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point... But talking needs two-way converstation, like duh!... Texting, just like e-mail, one can blow people off or read/reply on your their schedule. Not that I agree... It is LESS interaction and less attachment to the conversation at hand. IT really is anti-social.

Oh. Like when us old folks would leave a voice mail.

Spot on. Also more efficient though. Want to organize a little get together. Send out a mass text. I hate calling people.

Spot on. Also more efficient though. Want to organize a little get together. Send out a mass text. I hate calling people.

Oh... My God... You agreed with a troll! :nana:

Your Habs won again and bounced the Bolts!

Of course I use texting as a cop out... Haven't crossed into the realm with the wife and children yet... Don't want them to turn the tables on me! :D

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I guess EiI is right.

I guess EiI is right.

:bag: :bag:

Wow! The Sabres gonna win the Cup this year! ;)

I suppose texting becomes more of crutch and people get more anti-social as texting becomes more a habit? Why talk when we can do other things at the same time. Our culture has become comical... You see people sitting at a table for two... I notice this woman just gabbing away with her partner all the while the guy across from her was texting away... Same thing when people are out for a stroll... I noticed two people crossing the street... You think they were talking to EACH other? :lol: They were having a conversation via text, probably worlds away.

Sad... Really sad... How rude and unattached tech has made things... Even know it is supposed to do the opposite.

Heck... I can be sitting @ work in the office with my co-worker and I am gabbing on this message board! :wallbash:

You see people sitting at a table for two... I notice this woman just gabbing away with her partner all the while the guy across from her was texting away...

And what would he have been doing if he was sitting at a table with the person he was texting with?

What's the next big advance, Morse code?

:lol:

And what would he have been doing if he was sitting at a table with the person he was texting with?

:lol:

Most likely texting somebody else!

And the Morse Code thing is true... A guy a work is a ham radio operator and really into it. Says when the end of the world comes all other communications like cell phones will be useless... Has a mobile unit in his truck with a morse code key.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Actually, the keys are pretty cool... I was thinking about getting a working set and making bookends out of them.

Most likely texting somebody else!

And the Morse Code thing is true... A guy a work is a ham radio operator and really into it. Says when the end of the world comes all other communications like cell phones will be useless... Has a mobile unit in his truck with a morse code key.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Actually, the keys are pretty cool... I was thinking about getting a working set and making bookends out of them.

Morse is still used in aircraft radio navigation by the FAA today as the automated ground VOR[VHF omnidirectional radio range] station identifier. Why I have no clue,they have voice capability.

Haha, they're good phones, but they have their annoyances just like any other. Personally, I don't think they're the "Gold Standard" of cell phones, and it annoys me when someone holds it way higher than any other. It's all in what you prefer. Hence why I was playing opposite of Steve.

Glad you like it. Not sure how deep you want to get into iOS, but if you want to read up on some of that type of stuff, XDA Developers recently made an iPhone forum available at http://forum.iphone-developers.com/

You'll figure out why its useful.

Understood. I got the balancing act. Competition is good.

Thanks also for the forum linky.

Cheers!

Oh, and Jim - opposing thumbs is what made our species great. Mastering them makes us climb even higher on the evolutionary scale. :lol:

Understood. I got the balancing act. Competition is good.

Thanks also for the forum linky.

Cheers!

Oh, and Jim - opposing thumbs is what made our species great. Mastering them makes us climb even higher on the evolutionary scale. :lol:

Har-De-Har :rolleyes: Don't forget I'm using a narrow phone, not one of those big"pod" thingys.

Being that you have a prepaid plan, u may find that texting someone to say your on your way, or to pick up milk and eggs is better than using sometime precious minutes

Oh. Like when us old folks would leave a voice mail.

I have 400 monthly minutes. I use 100 at most. I talk to people ALL day at work. First, I don't have time to make a bunch of personal calls and second, when I'm done with work, I just don't want to talk on the phone. I use hundreds of text messages. They are to the point, cut out all the bulls#it of a normal conversation, and you don't have to reply til you want to. That probably makes me sound like an ass, but I've never argued that point.

Some wise words to think about:

"Those who acquire it will cease to excercise their memory and become forgetful; they will rely on writing to bring things to their remembrance by external signs instead of by their own internal resources. [Writing] is a receipt for recollection, not for memory. And as for wisdom, your pupils will have the reputation for it without the reality: they will receive a quantity of information without proper instruction, and in consequence be thought very knowledgeable when they for the most part are quite ignorant." ~King Thamus, The Judgement of Thamus.