Patrick Peterson runs a 4.32 Forty at the Combine

It really is. :angry:

If the Bills are stupid enough to draft a corner at #3, this, imo, could signal the end of the franchise, unless they miraculously draft superstars in the later rounds (the odds of which are so miniscule they virtually do not exist). They will simply continue to be a losing, laughing stock of a team.

A corner would not win them games nor draw fans. At some point, the younger fans will not know of the superbowl days, and will be unable to picture the Bills as any thing but a team that consistently sucks.

Not so long ago, many posters would defend idiotic draft picks such as Whitner, Spiller, McKelvin, Lynch, etc. Now, their numbers are dwindling.

A corner at #3 would be catastrophic, and basically render us to continue to be a small, weak, perpetually losing team with questions at quarterback. The stands will be empty, and there will be little realistic chance of the Bills winning football games.

Other than the above, Peterson would be a nice pick. :bag:

your routine is getting old Bill.

Drafting a future pro-bowler could "signal end of the franchise"? ROFLMA :w00t:

Peterson at 6'1" 220 IS BIG FOR A DEFENSIVE BACK. Not "small, weak." :doh:

And if what you're really trying to say is "draft defensive front 7 and offensive linemen" ... have you never heard of Troupe, Carrington, Maybin, Wood, Levitre, Poz and McCargo? :oops:

Seriously brother, get a new shtick. This one's been played out.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps but that simply means people are being ridiculous. A lock down corner is a big deal.

Yeah, that's why exactly TWO teams in the entire NFL have them. Oh, and only one of them made the playoffs. Pretty critical to have a "lockdown" corner in this league. Try 9 out of twelve playoff teams (including the eventual SB champion) had a FIRST ROUND Quarterback. Many of them had a top ten pick at the position. Corners just don't have the impact they once did, as you can't even breathe on a guy past 10 yards. A pass rush seems to make most CB's look pretty good. Good enough that their original teams don't pay them past their first contract. That way of building a team has passed by. QB is the one position that can mask other problems.

If the Bills are stupid enough to draft a corner at #3, this, imo, could signal the end of the franchise, unless they miraculously draft superstars in the later rounds (the odds of which are so miniscule they virtually do not exist). They will simply continue to be a losing, laughing stock of a team.

A corner would not win them games nor draw fans. At some point, the younger fans will not know of the superbowl days, and will be unable to picture the Bills as any thing but a team that consistently sucks.

Not so long ago, many posters would defend idiotic draft picks such as Whitner, Spiller, McKelvin, Lynch, etc. Now, their numbers are dwindling.

A corner at #3 would be catastrophic, and basically render us to continue to be a small, weak, perpetually losing team with questions at quarterback. The stands will be empty, and there will be little realistic chance of the Bills winning football games.

Good thing Peterson is 220# to take on those TE's and guards in run support. Bills were 3rd in pass defense because no one runs against them and some think a CB is going to help the team as a whole.

This whole speed thing is overrated. Spiller was one of, if not the fastest out there last year and he did nothing. These skill players need the support to be of great value, and yet we're talking about taking a CB higher than one's ever been taken. :wallbash:

Buffalo doesn't have the luxury of taking BPA this year because they've built nothing on either side of the ball. At least there's no top safety to consider like Marv and Dick did 5 years ago.

Best player available! If Quinn and Bowers are gone at three, Peterson becomes the best player available. We take him, and we learn to love him, because that is what is going to happen.

There will still be a better than average D-lineman available at 34, and with McGee getting older and more injury prone, Corner not good enough to be anything but a nickel, anyone who doesn't believe we need a CB is incorrect.

This would have been a great comment back in the day, but in today's NFL, I must disagree.

What do you think the Steelers would say about this? They have a very weak OL, but they still scored a lot. They were also weak at DB and it should have cost them home field and a Super Bowl berth. If Stevie didn't drop that pass the Steelers would have been on the road and done early in the playoffs. Stevie would not have been open if the Steelers had had Peterson or someone like him.

Think of it this way:

The lines are like elephants. In the days before guns, the elephants just trampled whatever was in their way. Now their lack of speed leaves them prone to poachers who steal their tusks for ivory to be sold to some dude making a piano. DBs are like bed bugs. Once written off for irrelevant, they have returned and they stealthily suck the blood from their opponent and are nearly impossible to stop. One DB is like a whole colony of bed bugs.

Green or Peterson @3.

Both look like special talents, and worthy of the pick.

None of the defensive front 7 players do.

I was starting to warm to Newton acceptable too, but his excess hyping and mediocre combine turned me off.

I think you may be the only person on the planet that thinks none of the front 7 players are worthy of the 3rd pick.

McShay says Bowers could be the 1st overall pick

Kiper says Fairly

Mayock says Quinn, and also has Dareus ahead of Fairley in his rankings (so exo-facto Dareus could also be the #1 overall pick)

I havent heard of anyone saying Peterson could be the #1 overall pick (could have missed it, but I havent heard it)

Besides, Peterson and Green are only two players. Just by the math there has to be at least 3 players worthy of the 3rd pick. Are you saying all 4 of those guys I mentioned as possible #1 overall picks are not worthy as the 3rd? FWIW a CB has never been taken higher than 3rd, so we are essentially saying Peterson is the best CB to ever come out of college by taking him at 3. I personally dont think he is that great.

From the LSU games I wave watched, and the tape I have seen on Peterson, his talent level is very difficult to assess. It seems that LSU plays a lot of zone coverage schemes. Very rarely did I see him pressure the receiver at the line of scrimmage, and play good man-to-man defense. This does not mean that he is not a "lock down" type of cornerback....it just means that I haven't seen evidence to support this.

Many say that he projects better to strong safety in the NFL due to stiffness in his hips. With that being said, do we want to draft a likely all-pro safety with the #3 overall pick? IMO....the answer is no.

I am encouraged that he ran such a good 40 yard dash, however, as I see him to be the only player that teams might be willing to trade up for.

I agree 100% I watched a few of his games and he wasnt too impressive, giving 8+ yard cushions on most downs. I dont know why such a good CB would do that? If his coach is telling him to do that what does his coach know that we all dont? I understand they may not want to get beat deep, but when a guy runs a 4.3 and is that good, he can play tight to the WR AND not get beat deep. Now I hear all these pundits saying that he is a great bump and run man cover guy…. How do they know? He rarely did it!

You think it's a coincidence the teams with the best strong safeties met in the Super Bowl?

And Palumalo had a TD pass thrown on him because the Steelers didnt get a good pass rush :-)

This would have been a great comment back in the day, but in today's NFL, I must disagree.

What do you think the Steelers would say about this? They have a very weak OL, but they still scored a lot. They were also weak at DB and it should have cost them home field and a Super Bowl berth. If Stevie didn't drop that pass the Steelers would have been on the road and done early in the playoffs. Stevie would not have been open if the Steelers had had Peterson or someone like him.

Think of it this way:

The lines are like elephants. In the days before guns, the elephants just trampled whatever was in their way. Now their lack of speed leaves them prone to poachers who steal their tusks for ivory to be sold to some dude making a piano. DBs are like bed bugs. Once written off for irrelevant, they have returned and they stealthily suck the blood from their opponent and are nearly impossible to stop. One DB is like a whole colony of bed bugs.

I can't figure out if you are Dick jauron of Russ Brandon. The Bills have proven that good lines still win games.

PS: we were only close in that Steelers game because KW (a Dlineman) completely owned the Steelers G Kaomaeto or whatever his name is (he is an O Lineman). Without KW we lose that game by 30 points. The battle in the trenches kept it close. Nothing else. O, and pressure on the QB is also why the Packers beat the Steelers in the Superbowl.

Football is very simple and it doesnt change. Blocking. Tackling. Quaterback. The Bills have sucked at all 3 for a long freaking time, and drafting guys like Peterson who are over rated CBs will not help us at all.

Edited by Thoner7

I think you may be the only person on the planet that thinks none of the front 7 players are worthy of the 3rd pick.

McShay says Bowers could be the 1st overall pick

Kiper says Fairly

Mayock says Quinn, and also has Dareus ahead of Fairley in his rankings (so exo-facto Dareus could also be the #1 overall pick)

I haven’t heard of anyone saying Peterson could be the #1 overall pick (could have missed it, but I haven’t heard it)

Besides, Peterson and Green are only two players. Just by the math there has to be at least 3 players worthy of the 3rd pick. Are you saying all 4 of those guys I mentioned as possible #1 overall picks are not worthy as the 3rd? FWIW a CB has never been taken higher than 3rd, so we are essentially saying Peterson is the best CB to ever come out of college by taking him at 3. I personally don’t think he is that great.

Dont care what other people say. Follow the herd and draft Mandrich, Leaf and Jamarcus Russell etc etc. Also those guys are saying who they think will get picked by which team, not necessarily who they think is the BPA.

And you keep saying "a CB has never been taken higher than 3rd, so we are essentially saying Peterson is the best CB to ever come out of college by taking him at 3", which makes no sense. Draft order is relative to who's available in that specific draft. They're all different. Furthermore, there should be no artificial ceiling on where a DB is drafted ... every team but 1 or 2 at most (and perhaps none), wish they'd taken Revis (14 overall) versus the guy they took ahead of him.

I can't figure out if you are Dick jauron of Russ Brandon. The Bills have proven that good lines still win games.

PS: we were only close in that Steelers game because KW (a Dlineman) completely owned the Steelers G Kaomaeto or whatever his name is (he is an O Lineman). Without KW we lose that game by 30 points. The battle in the trenches kept it close. Nothing else. O, and pressure on the QB is also why the Packers beat the Steelers in the Superbowl.

Football is very simple and it doesnt change. Blocking. Tackling. Quaterback. The Bills have sucked at all 3 for a long freaking time, and drafting guys like Peterson who are over rated CBs will not help us at all.

As you typed your pro-offensive line comments on your computer I wonder if you saw the irony. Lines are reliable, strong, and functional vehicles to get a job done. Royal and Remington-Rand made that very argument for years regarding typewriters and yet their companies foundered. Faster methods of distribution and efficiency such as computers and networks had come along. This is like a solid defensive backfield that can quickly change tactics and efficiently cover the field.

Many people have probably read your post already and it is funny because if you had used a typewriter you would have had to mail a carbon to multiple people. And don't bring up copiers because they are more like linebackers. You are essentially arguing against yourself just by posting.

Some Bills players (past & present) Combine 40 times for quick comparison:

L. McKelvin: 4.39

R. Corner: 4.48

T. McGee: 4.57

L. Evans: 4.39

D. Beebe: 4.21

CJ Spiller: 4.28

Top 10 fastest times ever:

Bo Jackson Auburn Tigers 4.12

2 Michael Bennett Minnesota Vikings 4.13

3 Alexander Wright Dallas Cowboys 4.14

4 Darrell Green Washington Redskins 4.15

5 Ahman Green Nebraska Cornhuskers 4.17

6 Joey Galloway Ohio St. Buckeyes 4.18

7 Deion Sanders Florida St. Seminoles 4.21

8 Kevin Curtis Utah Utes 4.21

9 Don Beebe Buffalo Bills 4.21

10 Donte Stallworth Tennessee Volunteers 4.22

Did not realize Bo ran a 4.12. W-o-w. What a shame he hurt his hip.

As you typed your pro-offensive line comments on your computer I wonder if you saw the irony. Lines are reliable, strong, and functional vehicles to get a job done. Royal and Remington-Rand made that very argument for years regarding typewriters and yet their companies foundered. Faster methods of distribution and efficiency such as computers and networks had come along. This is like a solid defensive backfield that can quickly change tactics and efficiently cover the field.

Many people have probably read your post already and it is funny because if you had used a typewriter you would have had to mail a carbon to multiple people. And don't bring up copiers because they are more like linebackers. You are essentially arguing against yourself just by posting.

Clever. However if typing were a collision sport, I would want the Royal, as it would destroy your little Mac.