Patrick Peterson runs a 4.32 Forty at the Combine

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Green or Peterson @3.

Both look like special talents, and worthy of the pick.

None of the defensive front 7 players do.

I was starting to warm to Newton acceptable too, but his excess hyping and mediocre combine turned me off.

Starting to come around to this. Team needs can change pretty quickly. Who would have thought WR would become an area of strength this year and Fitz would become a decent starter? Can't pass on a probable Pro Bowler regardless of need/position when the Front 7 guys have lots of questions.

As of right now. He's your guy at 3. He's the only guy the Bills see worthy of that pick. With Florence a FA, McGee getting old and McKelvin not living up to expectations, It's probably better than 90% they draft him as of right now. Things can change between now and the end of April. I know everyone's gonna be pissed we draft CB, but he's a guy who can be the next Rod Woodson.

Or the next Dion Sanders...

He won't sell tickets like Newton would, but he will be a starter from day one. In a defensive loaded draft, this guy is the best of the bunch. Low risk, high value player

From the LSU games I wave watched, and the tape I have seen on Peterson, his talent level is very difficult to assess. It seems that LSU plays a lot of zone coverage schemes. Very rarely did I see him pressure the receiver at the line of scrimmage, and play good man-to-man defense. This does not mean that he is not a "lock down" type of cornerback....it just means that I haven't seen evidence to support this.

Many say that he projects better to strong safety in the NFL due to stiffness in his hips. With that being said, do we want to draft a likely all-pro safety with the #3 overall pick? IMO....the answer is no.

I am encouraged that he ran such a good 40 yard dash, however, as I see him to be the only player that teams might be willing to trade up for.

If he's a strong safety with the impact of Palomolu or Woodson, we should be ecstatic if he's there at 3. You think it's a coincidence the teams with the best strong safeties met in the Super Bowl?

I'd be one lighting up some torches if Peterson is picked at #3. I'd hate that pick. Don't deny he's a great talent. He's going to be a good cornerback. A great one on a team that stops the run.

However, you can have two shut down, all world, once in every 25 year talents, first ballot HOFers at CB and it's meaningless without a run defense or pass rush.

Our run defense is so bad that I'd just run, run and run the ball some more, and let the "shut down" corner do his shut-down"ing" all he wants. Meanwhile, I'll send my running backs up and down the field through the line like zebras on the Serengeti.

Just like the Jets and Patriots did to us. Four times.

You can't ignore the absolute blue chip defensive line talent in this draft that's available to fix your biggest problem.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/01/lsus-peterson-doesnt-hit-goal-in-40-but-blazes/?module=HP_headlines2col

This guy could be a Charles Woodson or Nnamdi Asomugha with the added dimension of special teams impact.

Worthy of the #3 pick???

He sure is....

I would not be mad if they picked him....McGee cant stay on the field, McLovin err McKelvin is good but not a shut down corner.

no we don't have secondary depth.

Florence, Whitner, Wilson all FA's. Corner next yr, FWIW.

We will likely sign Whitner (who has been tendered, aka not a FA), Wilson, or a FA to replace them (Safeties anyway). That still leaves us with Byrd, Scott (better than Whitner anyway?) McGee, McKelvin, Youboty, and some decent prospects behind them. That is a whole heck of a lot stronger than the mess we have at LB or DL...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

If he's a strong safety with the impact of Palomolu or Woodson, we should be ecstatic if he's there at 3. You think it's a coincidence the teams with the best strong safeties met in the Super Bowl?

Is Charlie Peprah one of the best strong safeties? :nana:

yea honestly it will be hard for the bills to piss me off with this pick as I honestly did and could name 6 guys I would love. Either way we can all agree that we are going to get a great player at 3rd overall and Im just gonna trust buddy and chan and hope its the guy thats a great fit for our team.

Call me a pessimist, but there is no saying whether the player Ralph and Co. draft at #3 will be "great". Have any of our other recent top picks been "great"? Good even? Mediocre? Heck, how many are still on the team? What about Mike Williams at No 4...lol

Just saying...I'll believe it when I see it...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Some Bills players (past & present) Combine 40 times for quick comparison:

L. McKelvin: 4.39

R. Corner: 4.48

T. McGee: 4.57

L. Evans: 4.39

D. Beebe: 4.21

CJ Spiller: 4.28

Top 10 fastest times ever:

Bo Jackson Auburn Tigers 4.12

2 Michael Bennett Minnesota Vikings 4.13

3 Alexander Wright Dallas Cowboys 4.14

4 Darrell Green Washington Redskins 4.15

5 Ahman Green Nebraska Cornhuskers 4.17

6 Joey Galloway Ohio St. Buckeyes 4.18

7 Deion Sanders Florida St. Seminoles 4.21

8 Kevin Curtis Utah Utes 4.21

9 Don Beebe Buffalo Bills 4.21

10 Donte Stallworth Tennessee Volunteers 4.22

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/01/lsus-peterson-doesnt-hit-goal-in-40-but-blazes/?module=HP_headlines2col

This guy could be a Charles Woodson or Nnamdi Asomugha with the added dimension of special teams impact.

Worthy of the #3 pick???

Without a pass rush ... without strength at the DE's and OLB's you are not going to get production out of the DB's. Is Peterson worth a #3 pick ... of course he is. He is worth a #2 pick yes but the Bills needs are clear ... sTOP THE RUN rush the passer.

If we get better upfront then our pass coverage will improve but frankly that is not a weakness of this team ... so the Bills should pass him by.

If Peterson is picked at #3, this board will explode.

..and rightfully so. At this point, I'd rather draft Cam at #3 over Peterson..and for me, that's saying a lot.

Some Bills players (past & present) Combine 40 times for quick comparison:

L. McKelvin: 4.39

R. Corner: 4.48

T. McGee: 4.57

L. Evans: 4.39

D. Beebe: 4.21

CJ Spiller: 4.28

Top 10 fastest times ever:

Bo Jackson Auburn Tigers 4.12

2 Michael Bennett Minnesota Vikings 4.13

3 Alexander Wright Dallas Cowboys 4.14

4 Darrell Green Washington Redskins 4.15

5 Ahman Green Nebraska Cornhuskers 4.17

6 Joey Galloway Ohio St. Buckeyes 4.18

7 Deion Sanders Florida St. Seminoles 4.21

8 Kevin Curtis Utah Utes 4.21

9 Don Beebe Buffalo Bills 4.21

10 Donte Stallworth Tennessee Volunteers 4.22

On a sidenote, does anyone else notice that the "fastest times ever" at the combine are primarily all by much older/different generation-type players? I'm calling BS. Players have only gotten faster/stronger since Bo Jackson/Alexander Wright. IMO, timing mechanisms have changed...or those times were misrecorded for whatever reason.

We will likely sign Whitner (who has been tendered, aka not a FA), Wilson, or a FA to replace them (Safeties anyway). That still leaves us with Byrd, Scott (better than Whitner anyway?) McGee, McKelvin, Youboty, and some decent prospects behind them. That is a whole heck of a lot stronger than the mess we have at LB or DL...

I think the tenders will be nullified w/ new CBA, unless the old terms are agreed to.

I'd say Scott not better than Whitner, IMO.

McGee is getting old and beat-up, Youboty is actually a FA as well this yr.

but I do agree w/... That is a whole heck of a lot stronger than the mess we have at LB or DL...

and dam dude, please change that avatar!

Edited by dgrid

NO MORE FIRST ROUND PICK DBs!!!!! I REPEAT NO MORE FIRST ROUND PICK DBs!!!!!!

I don't have time to look it up now but something like 40% of Buffalo's first round picks in the last 15 years have been DBs. Buffalo's problem in the era of free agency always has been keeping talent. Yes, we have issues drafting bums but we do hit sometimes. Sadly these guys leave over money because we would rather overpay, grossly in some cases, mediocre talent. Keep and compensate your stars and fill in with veterans and promising rookies.

Instead we try to get it done with average talent almost everywhere and young guys that leave by the time they develop and their rookie contract is up.

I would rather have Jordan, Pippen and 3 no names instead of 5 barely heard ofs.

Edited by PDaDdy

This is so sad....

It really is. :angry:

If the Bills are stupid enough to draft a corner at #3, this, imo, could signal the end of the franchise, unless they miraculously draft superstars in the later rounds (the odds of which are so miniscule they virtually do not exist). They will simply continue to be a losing, laughing stock of a team.

A corner would not win them games nor draw fans. At some point, the younger fans will not know of the superbowl days, and will be unable to picture the Bills as any thing but a team that consistently sucks.

Not so long ago, many posters would defend idiotic draft picks such as Whitner, Spiller, McKelvin, Lynch, etc. Now, their numbers are dwindling.

A corner at #3 would be catastrophic, and basically render us to continue to be a small, weak, perpetually losing team with questions at quarterback. The stands will be empty, and there will be little realistic chance of the Bills winning football games.

Other than the above, Peterson would be a nice pick. :bag: