Dolphins looking to join the rank of the *Patriots

boyst

Doh

This is such a load of cow poo. To think players will not work with teams and coaches is silly. To think that players will not work together is stupid. To think that NFL players are going to sit idle until a deal is worked out is insane.

The players are goign to work out, keep themselves in shape (unless you count Albert Haynesworth), and will be working together to keep their careers. The young players, the ones who do not have so much potential longevity, will be the ones who will be working hard. Of course, no starter or vet wants to lose their job, so they're going to study. The NFLPA is out of their mind to think they can control these players. Sure, they'll be able to stop some of them from getting together but these guys cannot afford to practice, workout and develop timing.

Like Gil Brandt said, every team will find a way to get around these rules.

Actually the NFL has advised the teams that they are not to hold meetings or workouts involving players.

So don't blame the NFLPA.

And of course the NFLPA's position would be against meetings or workouts without a CBA. They're going to discourage any activities which undercut their leverage as a union.

They can't encourage players to cooperate with a league which is locking them out. It's that simple.

The other issue, and it's a huge one, is if a player is injured during an "informal practice" and suffers a catastrophic injury.

That player's team has no obligation to cover his injury costs and in fact can place that player on the non-football injury list and not be pay him any money if he misses playing time.

It's nothing to get angry over. It's the simple reality of the fact that a lockout sucks for teams, players, and fans.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Actually the NFL has advised the teams that they are not to hold meetings or workouts involving players.

And of course the NFLPA's position would be against meetings or workouts without a CBA. They're going to discourage any activities which undercut their leverage as a union.

They can't encourage players to cooperate with a league which is locking them out. It's that simple.

The other issue, and it's a huge one, is if a player is injured during an "informal practice" and suffers a catastrophic injury.

That player's team has no obligation to cover his injury costs and in fact can place that player on the non-football injury list and not be pay him any money if he misses playing time.

It's nothing to get angry over. It's the simple reality of the fact that a lockout sucks for teams, players, and fans.

It is not that I am angry - I am frustrated. The NFLPA wants to act in the best interest of the players and I understand that, but I still worry they will not be able to effectively control their own selves.

As far as the NFL goes, telling coaches to avoid the players, I want to see the NFL come down and fine some teams that get caught. It would be in horrible interest if Brees, inside that warehouse he rented, happens to tear his rotator cuff while practicing with a few players and the NFL and the NFLPA know that but certainly who can expect them to sit idly by and waste a year of their already likely short career. The earnings potential per player will go down drastically.

It is not that I am angry - I am frustrated. The NFLPA wants to act in the best interest of the players and I understand that, but I still worry they will not be able to effectively control their own selves.

As far as the NFL goes, telling coaches to avoid the players, I want to see the NFL come down and fine some teams that get caught. It would be in horrible interest if Brees, inside that warehouse he rented, happens to tear his rotator cuff while practicing with a few players and the NFL and the NFLPA know that but certainly who can expect them to sit idly by and waste a year of their already likely short career. The earnings potential per player will go down drastically.

Yeah. It is frustrating and it's hard to see who will actually benefit from a work stoppage.

The owners think they have to re-adjust the economics of the game to ensure long term profitability and that may be true. But they also risk killing the goose which laid the golden egg. The NFL thinks that because all of us are addicted, that we will come streaming back to the game. I certainly will, but I can't speak for others…especially more casual fans.

There could be a backlash that hurts the league's profitability as much if not more than a less-than-perfect CBA with the players.

Hope tomorrow's bargaining session is a really productive one.

So sick of this crap. From my perspective I hate how the NFL owners have ruined the game. It's all money to them now, their not thinking of the fans anymore. No one wants an 18 game schedule. NOBODY!!! 16 is plenty. No player wants to play that many games. We (the fans) just don't want to pay for Pre-season games. Keep it as is, and let the owners Eat 2 Preseason games. Let them pay for it. Fans pay so much as it is, why not have them eat it for once. Of course it would never happen, but that would make everyone happy as far as I see it.

So sick of this crap. From my perspective I hate how the NFL owners have ruined the game. It's all money to them now, their not thinking of the fans anymore. No one wants an 18 game schedule. NOBODY!!! 16 is plenty. No player wants to play that many games. We (the fans) just don't want to pay for Pre-season games. Keep it as is, and let the owners Eat 2 Preseason games. Let them pay for it. Fans pay so much as it is, why not have them eat it for once. Of course it would never happen, but that would make everyone happy as far as I see it.

Players' salaries are out of control because (in part) the owners shell out millions to unproven rookies. Now they want an 18-game schedule to help pay for that. Perhaps if they didn't give a $10 million signing bonus or didn't give $15 million guaranteed, we wouldn't be in this situation.

I suppose this shows the power of the NFLPA. "If you don't want <the greatest player since sliced bread> on your team, we can find someone else he'll play for."

<_<

To think players will not work with teams and coaches is silly

I can name 4 off the top of my head.

Albert Haynesworth, Terell Owens, at one time Randy Moss and do you think Brett Favre really worked with his coaches?

Not to mention Coaches who CHEAT!

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

poor Demaurice Smith and the Union. They have barely any leverage, and the little they do have is being undermined by the Union's own members...

I guess his only negotiating tactic will be plugging his ears and going "LALALALA CANT HEAR YOU" until the Commish gets tired and gives in like a frustrated parent. LOL

Doh

The players are goign to work out, keep themselves in shape (unless you count Albert Haynesworth), and will be working together to keep their careers. The young players, the ones who do not have so much potential longevity, will be the ones who will be working hard.

Really? Like they do every off season? Most injuries occur during training camp because these guys are not in shape. How many guys (rookies) were lost before the first game of the season?

There's a lockout?

Anyway, any "injury costs" would presumedly be paid by the same entity that pays for them now--the player's health insurance company. Everyone is allowed by law to keep their current health plan for 18 months after leaving employment of an employer. They will have to pay the entire premium, however.

Really? Like they do every off season? Most injuries occur during training camp because these guys are not in shape. How many guys (rookies) were lost before the first game of the season?

There's a lockout?

Anyway, any "injury costs" would presumedly be paid by the same entity that pays for them now--the player's health insurance company. Everyone is allowed by law to keep their current health plan for 18 months after leaving employment of an employer. They will have to pay the entire premium, however.

You knew that I was talking about the scenario of a lockout…the lockout that is likely to happen at the end of this week.

As for an injury during an "informal" workout or practice, I'm well aware of COBRA and the rules governing health insurance.

But as you point out, that cost is typically assumed by the team, where in a (presumed) lockout, the insurance would be paid by the player.

But what you didn't address is the biggest issue which is that in the case of an injury in the above scenario, a team could decide not to pay a player if he misses any playing time…even if the injury happened in an informal practice in which the team would secretly want the player participating in.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan