lets talk Bengals

SuperBills12

I like the Bills chances. The Bengals are hitting on all cylinders on offense, but they are weak on D. I say the Bills play that power running game they have talked about all year and control the time of posssesion....and the Defense forces the ball down Palmers throat so early, he poops it out by halftime.

Final:

Bills 31

Bengals 12

We have to jump on them early to force them to pass more. Then we have to bring the heat like we did against the Browns to make Palmer or Kitna start second guessing. That's where both Palmer and Kitna's problem comes in because they both do throw alot of interceptions. Our secondary better be ready because these guys have great WR's.

On offense we definitely have to run the ball to keep the ball away from their offense. We need to see alot of short passes that are high % that can get you about 5-10 yards and keep the clock moving.

I think the Bills can get to Carson Palmer and make him make mistakes. That would be the key, and I'd predict a 31-10 win for the Bills if Palmer plays.

But, I would be suprised to see Palmer in pads at all. The Bengals have to look at what the D did to Garcia Sunday and realize there is no reason now to put their future on the line.

There is a lot less recent film available of John Kitna. I think Kitna is a good QB who won't make the same mistakes under pressure that Palmer will. Though he is still good for a pick or two.

All that said, the Bills D and running game will prevail in Cinnci!

Don't forget, this is a homecoming for Takeo and Sam Wyche.

I think the Bengals will have a hard time matching the 28 points they scored against New England's depleted secondary. All I hear is Chad Johnson blah blah TJ Houshmandzadeh blah blah. Chad, TJ... I'd like you to meet Nate Clements, Troy Vincent, Lawyer Milloy and Terrence McGee.

My only fear is that because it's in Cincy, the zebras will be quick to call illegal contact and pass interference on our guys.

I have no doubt that Cincy is a dangerous team. Last week when I was looking ahead to this game I was predicting a close one, something along the lines of 24-20.

But as this week progresses, the more confident I become in the Bills' chances. Sure it's on the road, and of course Cincy is good, but I feel like the Bills just believe in themselves more than the Bengals do.

This one could turn ugly if the Bills have a good 1st quarter.

My tuesday prediction:

Bills 31 Bengals 17

Palmer got hurt against NE (bad knee, I think) and is questionable for Sunday. I doubt he'll play, so Kitna will probably get the start.

I think the Bills would benefit from Kitna starting, since I don't think he's as mobile and athletic as Palmer is. Given the Bills attacking-style of defense, this is a good matchup. At the same time, Kitna is a smart QB. The Bills have to be careful to not get burned on blitzes. Cincy's offense is solid - Chad Johnson and TJ Houshmanzadeh need to be covered. I think the Bills D can stop Rudi Johnson and force the Bengals into a passing game. This is - by far - a better offense than the last two they've seen.

I agree about running the ball. Willis left, Willis right, Willis sweep, Willis off-tackle. Cincy gives up about 23 points per game and 345 yards per game. I can see the Bills scoring a few points here. Giving up about 200+ yards per game through the air, I think Bledsoe will find Moulds and Evans open a few times.

On paper, this doesn't look as tough as I originally thought. But given this is on the road and Marvin Lewis won't let his guys quit, this will be a tight one. A win by the Bills knocks them up a few rungs in the power rankings to me and gives the rest of the league some notice that the Bills won't go quietly.

This is a big test for Buffalo. On the road against a potentially high scoring offense, this could cause a lot of problems. The Bills must control the clock with the running game and hopefully get on the board early to take the crowd out of the game. If we can do that it has the potential to be a laugher, but I don't see that happening, it will be a close one but Buffalo will prevail in the end because they have become very good at adjusting at half time.

Buffalo 26

Cinci 23

I have a bad feeling on this game. It's always impossible to predict how our offense will do on the road. If they put up 30 points again of course we'll win. But they're due to lay an egg on offense, and I just can't see our front 4 getting enough pressure on whichever QB is playing. Fancy blitzing won't result in a field-day for the DB's this time either, b/c Cincy has some weapons. The Bills will also feel more pressure (not QB pressure but mental pressure to win the game) than they have all year and I'm still not sure they respond all that well to pressure situations. I hope to God I'm wrong.

The Bengals offense is on a roll, and I think them beating Baltimore and then duking it out with the Patriots shows exactly how good they are. If the Bills want to win this game, they'll have to give a heavy dose of Willis McGahee right off the bat. Long, sustained drives that end in points take the crowd out of the game and wear down the Bengals already suspect Defense. The keys to the game are, IMO:

1) Establish OUR running game early

2) Stop their running game.

If we force the Bengals to pass on us, our Defense can just lay them out...no team will ever beat our Defense by going one dimensional on it. If they cant run, we win the game.

Carson Palmer is limping on a bad knee and Kitna wishes he wasn't even playing. That is encouraging for our Defense, no matter who starts at QB.

159619[/snapback]

Er, Kitna wishes he wasn't playing because he wants Palmer to play, not that he is fearful.

Against NE, Kitna put up 1 td, 1 int, and 126 passing yards going 9 of 13, and ran 9 yds for a first down in 16 minutes of play, seeing his first regular season action since December '03.

Cincy's defensive front is very tough and aggressive, but they are also inconsistent. They do have a decent group of LBs that cover a lot of ground. I think their secondary can be beat over the top, good news for Lee Evans.

Offensively, Rudi Johnson is running better than the beginning of the season and Chad Johnson also is having a nice finish to the season. I don't know how healthy their O-line is (I saw C RICH Braham go down last weekend, but I don't know his status), but if we can create some pressure with our defensive front (we need Schobel and Kelsay to be very active!), we should be able to hold our own against C. Johnson, Kelley Washington, and TJ Houshmandzadeh.

I have no doubt that Cincy is a dangerous team. Last week when I was looking ahead to this game I was predicting a close one, something along the lines of 24-20.

But as this week progresses, the more confident I become in the Bills' chances. Sure it's on the road, and of course Cincy is good, but I feel like the Bills just believe in themselves more than the Bengals do.

This one could turn ugly if the Bills have a good 1st quarter.

My tuesday prediction:

Bills 31 Bengals 17

159548[/snapback]

Sure it's on the road, and of course Cincy is good, but I feel like the Bills just believe in themselves more than the Bengals do.

159548[/snapback]

Cincinnati is not good. NE is good. Pittsburgh is good.

Cincinnati is mediocre at best and we are one step ahead of them.

The Bengals/Pats game wasn't as close as the score indicates. The Pats were taking them to the woodshed and then put it in cruise control, allowing the Bengals to get back in the game. Palmer makes some great throws, but is streaky and has stretches of innaccuracy. He relies too much on his recievers (solid corps) to make adjustments, or to go up and get the ball. If the D can shut Rudi Johnson down, the secondary should be able to cause some turnovers when they get deperate.

The Bengals offense is on a roll, and I think them beating Baltimore and then duking it out with the Patriots shows exactly how good they are.  If the Bills want to win this game, they'll have to give a heavy dose of Willis McGahee right off the bat.  Long, sustained drives that end in points take the crowd out of the game and wear down the Bengals already suspect Defense.  The keys to the game are, IMO:

1)  Establish OUR running game early

2)  Stop their running game.

If we force the Bengals to pass on us, our Defense can just lay them out...no team will ever beat our Defense by going one dimensional on it.  If they cant run, we win the game.

159629[/snapback]

I disagree with #1. The Bills need to get on top early and take advantage of the Bengals stuffing the line to prevent any significant ground attack being successful. Good teams exploit the opposing defense's weaknesses, not bang their head against a brick wall. "What ever it takes" should be the philosophy of the day. We now have the weapons and pass blocking to attack from the air if need be. However, with that being said, if Bengals come out in a run freindly defense then I will say pound it!

The point is to get them to not key only on McGahee if at all possible.