Locker and Jordan

Dragonborn10

After a solid combine performance and coupled with Mallett's interview meltdown I see Locker coming off the board in the second round. If the FO passes on Gabbert in round one and if they are able to trade down and get an additonal second round pick, then I see Cameron Jordan around pick 10 and Locker will be their guy in the second round.

Yes I know another trade down scenario. But if Gabbert throws well at his Pro Day there could be several teams just after the Bills wanting to move up to get him. Would I be upset with Gabbert at 3 - no. Would I be happier with a stud DL and a potential franchise QB in round two - yes.

I don't think Gabbert at 3 is even an option for our front office. Locker in the 2nd is a very real option however. Ponder in the 2nd is also a possibility. Kaepernick in the 2nd is another.

The way I see it, we're not drafting QB at 3 and we're taking 1 of those 3 in the 2nd round.

I don't think Gabbert at 3 is even an option for our front office. Locker in the 2nd is a very real option however. Ponder in the 2nd is also a possibility. Kaepernick Stanzi in the 2nd is another.

The way I see it, we're not drafting QB at 3 and we're taking 1 of those 3 in the 2nd round.

Really ? You don't think Newton won't be pick at least in the top 10? I understand that you may not be impressed by any other QB , but to say that Gabbert will be the ONLY qb picked in round 1 is ridiculous.

Perhaps I should explain more. With the uncertainty of the CBA i think teams will avoid QBs early. Not necessarily because of talent but because only Mallet and Gabbert are really pro ready and teams need contributors. If the CBA isnt signed until September and we have a two week training camp your first round QB has no chance to see the field during his rookie year.

And look at last year. How many QBs were projected in the first round? Bradford, Tebow, Clausen, Mccoy?. I remember seeing Tony pike was a second round pick. He went in what the 6th round?

Newton Will fall because of character issues and an "ok" combine performance. Mallet has a drug problem (alleged) Ponder has injury concerns. Locker has accuracy issues. in short, too many projects in a year when coaches wont have time to work with these guys

Realistically someone will take Newton and regret it big time IMO but If I'm a GM or coach that is in the win now NFL. I'm not touching a QB in round one except for Gabbert

Hope that helps you understand my reasoning

Only 1 QB in the 1st? I see 3 or 4. I can see Newton, Gabbert, and Mallett going in the 1st. Some poor chump will buy into Newton's hype.

I don't think any of these guys will be very successful. This is not the year for the QB. Keep in mind how often Gabbert was mentioned before Luck withdrew. I don't think he was even considered a first rounder but thanks to the hype he is now a top 10 pick...sounds kinda suspect to me. I wouldn't even consider a QB in the first.

Perhaps I should explain more. With the uncertainty of the CBA i think teams will avoid QBs early. Not necessarily because of talent but because only Mallet and Gabbert are really pro ready and teams need contributors. If the CBA isnt signed until September and we have a two week training camp your first round QB has no chance to see the field during his rookie year.

And look at last year. How many QBs were projected in the first round? Bradford, Tebow, Clausen, Mccoy?. I remember seeing Tony pike was a second round pick. He went in what the 6th round?

Newton Will fall because of character issues and an "ok" combine performance. Mallet has a drug problem (alleged) Ponder has injury concerns. Locker has accuracy issues. in short, too many projects in a year when coaches wont have time to work with these guys

Realistically someone will take Newton and regret it big time IMO but If I'm a GM or coach that is in the win now NFL. I'm not touching a QB in round one except for Gabbert

Hope that helps you understand my reasoning

Pretty sound logic, but keep in mind that Cam Newton is tall, good-looking, just won the national championship, has unbelievable upside, and every football fan in the country knows who he is. All it takes is one GM in the first round talking himself into Newton, and there's a lot to like there. And as much as the NFL is "win now", it's also "sell season tickets now", and not many draft picks will do that as well as a QB that all of your fans saw win the national championship. Gabbert may be the better prospect (or may not, I don't know), but outside of Missouri or whatever, he's not very well known amongst NFL fans. I had literally never heard of him until he declared for the draft. I'm no college football buff, but I know there's a lot of NFL fans who follow college even less than I do, and most NFL fans don't religiously read pre-draft stuff either.

I'll be pretty surprised if Newton doesn't go in the first round. In fact, I'd be surprised if he lasted as long as Tebow (who I thought was a mortal lock to go in the first round, for many of the same reasons as Newton). I would be surprised if anyone else, except maybe Gabbert, goes in the first round.

I don't think any of these guys will be very successful. This is not the year for the QB. Keep in mind how often Gabbert was mentioned before Luck withdrew. I don't think he was even considered a first rounder but thanks to the hype he is now a top 10 pick...sounds kinda suspect to me. I wouldn't even consider a QB in the first.

He was highly regarded 2 years ago. Definitley a 1st round prospect for a couple years

It's amazing how many threads are starting here with crazy trade down scenerios. I know it is more likely this year compared to others given the labor situation but it's just not going to happen guys, sorry.

Just like the dumb threads dedicated to signing players like Harris or Soleil, you are all living in some sort of fantasy land where the Bills are going to wheel and deal like New England. It's not going to happen. Never been the Bills M.O., never will be until they get a new owner.

And Locker sucks.

Edited by Zulu Cthulhu

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I know another trade down scenario.

And STILL you posted it :wallbash: . I love speculation as much as the next guy but it just doesn't happen. Here is a trivia question for you.

When is the last time the Bills traded down?????

I think the only QB going in the first will be Gabbert.

I'm not impressed with any of the other QBs

How is it under your rock? Newton will go in the first and he will go before Gabbert.

And STILL you posted it :wallbash: . I love speculation as much as the next guy but it just doesn't happen. Here is a trivia question for you.

When is the last time the Bills traded down?????

How is it under your rock? Newton will go in the first and he will go before Gabbert.

No reason to get all snarky is there?