Ponder this............

SoggyHog

Would you be up for this scenario:

Bills/Arizona trade

Arizona gets 3rd overall, Bills get 5th and 38th. (value 2200 vs. 2220)

#3 AZ- Newton/Gabbert

#5 BUF - Von Miller OLB Texas A&M (perfect olb for hybrid D)

#34 BUF - Akeem Ayers ILB UCLA (great speed rush ilb)

#38 Buf- Christian Ponder QB Florida St. (all the qualities of a franchise qb, history of throwing shoulder injuries)

Might be a reach for Ponder with 38th pick, but I don't think he will last until the 3rd. Great 1-2 punch on Defense and Ponder can sit a year or two behind Fitz and learn.

you guys are sad, ponder? Miller? there are way better options than those guys. Dont't know why there is so much interest in ponder on this site? Ponder is just another guy who will take up a roster spot, is he any better than Brohm or Brown. If we trade back I'd rather have Kerrigan over miller who rounds around blockers instead of through em.

I like getting the trade, but not to take Ponder at #38 - I think he'll be there for us at #68.

(The other thing to consider is Nix and Gailey might want Gabbert themselves at #3.)

Same here - the trade is great - and I'm another FSU grad/fan who thinks Ponder is good, not great, and #38 would feel too high for him unless there's a real run on QB's. I like him as a character, I wish him well, but I don't want the Bills to reach for him.

I'd probably rather see Mallet or Kaerpernick (spelling mangled no doubt) there.

Gabbert it is, then. B-)

I predict we'll pass on Gabbert & all QB's in this draft & beef up with some studs...then jettison Brohm (who proved his worth), bump Brown up to #2, & pick up a #3 in the garbage heap. Chan will be loyal to Fitz in '11...should we play ball. That's my hope & prediction, but I'm usually wrong when it comes to figuring out the Bills brass on draft day. I thought for sure we would pick Orakpo.

There is only 1 team after Jax's pick at #16 and before our 2nd round pick that would even consider taking a QB in the 1st round. A guy like Locker could very well be there for us in the 2nd round. Very possible Newton and/or Gabbert also free fall. Is any team really excited about burning a top 10 pick on a QB who is a couple years away from playing? Early 2nd is probably too early for a QB like Ponder without huge upside.

Would you be up for this scenario:

Bills/Arizona trade

Arizona gets 3rd overall, Bills get 5th and 38th. (value 2200 vs. 2220)

#3 AZ- Newton/Gabbert

#5 BUF - Von Miller OLB Texas A&M (perfect olb for hybrid D)

#34 BUF - Akeem Ayers ILB UCLA (great speed rush ilb)

#38 Buf- Christian Ponder QB Florida St. (all the qualities of a franchise qb, history of throwing shoulder injuries)

Might be a reach for Ponder with 38th pick, but I don't think he will last until the 3rd. Great 1-2 punch on Defense and Ponder can sit a year or two behind Fitz and learn.

I'd make the trade but not necessarily pick the players you did. The Bills need ILBs more that OLBs, especially if, as Nix is indicating, Merriman is going to be healthy. And the need for D players (DE, ILB, S, and just maybe CB) is so strong, I don't think you use a second round pick on a "maybe he can do it" QB. The Bills should not take a QB earlier than the 5th round, if then. I happen to like Ponder and if he's there that late in the draft, take him. Or Dalton, for that matter.

FWIW, I've seen about every collegiate game Rahim Moore played. He's an intriguing guy but I'm still not sold on him (Mayock aside), not the way I was about Clay Matthews who I also saw play nearly every game. Passing him by drove me nuts.

Kyle Bowler had a huge arm. Tom Brady does not. You don't need a huge arm to be effective. Why would you want a QB with a huge arm if he's not a great decision maker or great with accuracy?

I did not say that I want one at the exclusion of the other....both are necessary in the Bills home stadium.

Ponder has impressed me as far as a late round prospect goes. I think there's too much talent at the qb position in this years draft, taking him at 38 would be foolish (assuming we got that pick). I'm still not sold on Gabbert, I just don't feel he could vastly outperform Fitz, athletic as he is. The only qb move I could see being made this year is for Newton, and although I'm not sold on him I have (hopefully rightly) put my confidence in the current administration, and if they're believers then I will be as well.