Don't Sleep on Locker

Bangarang

I thought you wanted Ponder in the second?

I do. I'm just saying that he shouldn't be written off so quickly. I still would prefer Ponder to Locker. Just merely pointing out that he could be a steal in the 2nd if he shows that he's improved his footwork.

I do. I'm just saying that he shouldn't be written off so quickly. I still would prefer Ponder to Locker. Just merely pointing out that he could be a steal in the 2nd if he shows that he's improved his footwork.

Both of these guys really scare me. Ponder is like another Rex Grossman to me, and as others have said, Locker looks like JP.

This is just my opinion obviously, but Newton is the only QB that seems worth the risk in this draft. Other than that, lets look for D in the first round and hope for a right tackle or more D in the second round.

Locker ruined his NFL career by wanting to be a baseball player despite being a talented football player.

He then did a Drew Henson by flip flopping between the two, but never dedicating himself to football 100%.

For as many Locker to the NFL stories you see, you'll see just as many about him as a player in the Anaheim system.

I'd pass on him solely because I don't think his heart or mind is 100% for football.

How good is he at baseball? If one has a choice between the two, he'd be a fool to choose football.

Re: the comparisons to Losman, they're way off. Losman was criticized for his leadership and intelligence in college, not for his accuracy. It's actually the reverse for Locker. I'm not advocating drafting him, but I can see him turning into a good pro -- a souped up and more athletic version of Fitzpatrick.

How good is he at baseball? If one has a choice between the two, he'd be a fool to choose football.

Re: the comparisons to Losman, they're way off. Losman was criticized for his leadership and intelligence in college, not for his accuracy. It's actually the reverse for Locker. I'm not advocating drafting him, but I can see him turning into a good pro -- a souped up and more athletic version of Fitzpatrick.

Where are you getting that Losman was known more for his leadership and "intelligence"? I spent a lot of time reviewing articles about him when he was drafted. They were all dominated by talk about his "cannon arm and mobility", VERY similar to the talk about Locker. The only difference is, Losman looked better (scary) and Locker has a lot more hype.

Fitz is more of a solidly built, intelligent, well balanced QB, not known for a particularly strong arm or any flash. I just don't see it.

As a matter of fact, Losman could have been a decent QB if he was a little smarter and quick thinking. His problem was it took him way to long to figure out what to do with the ball, leading to sacks, fumbles, and a lot of obscenities at 1 Bills Drive...Much like Rob Johnson actually...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Both of these guys really scare me. Ponder is like another Rex Grossman to me, and as others have said, Locker looks like JP.

This is just my opinion obviously, but Newton is the only QB that seems worth the risk in this draft. Other than that, lets look for D in the first round and hope for a right tackle or more D in the second round.

How exactly is Ponder like Grossman?

Where are you getting that Losman was known more for his leadership and "intelligence"? I spent a lot of time reviewing articles about him when he was drafted. They were all dominated by talk about his "cannon arm and mobility", VERY similar to the talk about Locker. The only difference is, Losman looked better (scary) and Locker has a lot more hype.

Fitz is more of a solidly built, intelligent, well balanced QB, not known for a particularly strong arm or any flash. I just don't see it.

As a matter of fact, Losman could have been a decent QB if he was a little smarter and quick thinking. His problem was it took him way to long to figure out what to do with the ball, leading to sacks, fumbles, and a lot of obscenities at 1 Bills Drive...Much like Rob Johnson actually...

I'm referring to the stuff about Mewelde Moore indicating that he was a cocky jerk who wasn't well liked by his teammates. As for his intelligence, I guess I'm extrapolating from his Bills days. He was never regarded as the sharpest tool in the shed while here.

Locker ruined his NFL career by wanting to be a baseball player despite being a talented football player.

He then did a Drew Henson by flip flopping between the two, but never dedicating himself to football 100%.

For as many Locker to the NFL stories you see, you'll see just as many about him as a player in the Anaheim system.

I'd pass on him solely because I don't think his heart or mind is 100% for football.

In the past we've seen some highly touted QBs who were torn between baseball & football bomb in the NFL-Akili Smith, Drew Henson, Chad Hutchinson, Josh Booty, to name a few. Most QB's not totally committed to football can't cut it in the NFL. I believe the most successful QB to switch from baseball back to football was Jay Schroeder. John Elway was never serious about a baseball career, he used the Yankees to avoid playing for the Colts and can't be considered among the group of baseball lioving QBs.

Yeah, yeah, yeah people want to say he's innaccurate but the kid didn't even have a QB coach at Washington until his Junior year.

It's believed that his accuracy issues stem from having footwork problems. He's been working with a QB coach leading up to the draft to work on his work.

Here he is at the combine talking about what he hopes to accomplish and what he's been working. He seems humble, well spoken, and hard working. He has great arm strength, freakish speed for a QB, and is a natural leader. His only issue is accuracy and decision making which can be worked on. Bottom line is that he'd be a steal at 34 (if he makes it there) given his potential. He's worked in a pro style offense and doesn't have any baggage or off the field issues.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e77291/Locker-d-and-loaded

:thumbdown:

So if one of Lockers issues is accuracy, and I keep hearing how Fitz isn't the answer @ QB primarily due to accuracy issues, then why should we take Locker??

I agree with earlier post, maybe 3rd or 4th round I'm fine, but second round sounds too high for a guy who has the same shortcomings as the person you presently have, and Oh BTW, Fitz doesn't appear to have any issues with decision making.

I've often wonder how the kid from Syracuse (think his name was something like Greg Paulli??) who went to Duke to play basketball, would have done instead if he had gone to a big time school for football. I believe he set records in HS for TD passes, or if not records were certainly high numbers. After not playing college football for 4 years, he returned to SU as a grad student and looked pretty good for the one season of eligibilty he had left. By the time he was a senior at Duke, he ended up getting benched too BTW. At the time I gave him credit for sticking to his love, playing basketball at Duke, but did think he likely was giving up on potential millions of $$!!

Anyone ever hear what that kid is doing? Is he playing basketball someplace, or football? Did he latch on someplace in Europe?

In the past we've seen some highly touted QBs who were torn between baseball & football bomb in the NFL-Akili Smith, Drew Henson, Chad Hutchinson, Josh Booty, to name a few. Most QB's not totally committed to football can't cut it in the NFL. I believe the most successful QB to switch from baseball back to football was Jay Schroeder. John Elway was never serious about a baseball career, he used the Yankees to avoid playing for the Colts and can't be considered among the group of baseball lioving QBs.

I agree with this 100%. Not to throw dirt on the guy, but I know for a fact that Losman was pretty much the least popular guy from the day he was drafted. Mewelde Moore said he wasn't very popular at Tulane either. If you don't have the locker

room, you're going to struggle.

The Locker hate has gone too far. The guy went back to school to get better. He played with injuries all season. There is very little NFL talent in UW. His coach only was a co-coordinator. If we decide to go the safer route with a defensive player & Locker is sitting there in the 2nd, he would be very hard IMO to pass on. Not that he was ever cocky, but he has been complete humbled. If Fitz had his skill set, there would be no doubt he was our franchise QB.

Now there is more that goes into being a Qb that physical skills, but Locker would be the most skilled QB Gailey has ever coached.

I agree with this 100%. Not to throw dirt on the guy, but I know for a fact that Losman was pretty much the least popular guy from the day he was drafted. Mewelde Moore said he wasn't very popular at Tulane either. If you don't have the locker

room, you're going to struggle.

The Locker hate has gone too far. The guy went back to school to get better. He played with injuries all season. There is very little NFL talent in UW. His coach only was a co-coordinator. If we decide to go the safer route with a defensive player & Locker is sitting there in the 2nd, he would be very hard IMO to pass on. Not that he was ever cocky, but he has been complete humbled. If Fitz had his skill set, there would be no doubt he was our franchise QB.

Now there is more that goes into being a Qb that physical skills, but Locker would be the most skilled QB Gailey has ever coached.

Why is Locker not included in the "very little NFL talent?"

Locker in reality had a 3rd round grade from the draft advisory board after his Junior year. The 1st round hype was before his junior year. He had a bad senior year and did nothing to improve his 3rd round grade. Locker will definitely be there in the 2nd and it would be a Buffalo Bills style bust detector pick to take Locker in any round.