Hey Chef Jim, got your snow shovel ready?

Just Jack

Why are they freaking out about snow in the Bay Area? There are so many micro-climates there... Isn't SF considered a "cold weather" town... True it is marine climate... But anything can happen.

We get snow on the mountains nearby, but never down to sea level. Last time it happened was 1976. Half of SF would be uninhabited if it snowed regularly because of the hills. The TV stations freaked out that they saw flakes going past the camera on Sutro Tower (a large TV/radio antenna that can be seen from the whole city). It was cold enough to snow, but no precipitation came by-it was sunny and dry Saturday morning. Yesterday afternoon they got about a 1/4 inch of snow in Salinas, down near Monterey, about 90 miles south of SF.

We get snow on the mountains nearby, but never down to sea level. Last time it happened was 1976. Half of SF would be uninhabited if it snowed regularly because of the hills. The TV stations freaked out that they saw flakes going past the camera on Sutro Tower (a large TV/radio antenna that can be seen from the whole city). It was cold enough to snow, but no precipitation came by-it was sunny and dry Saturday morning. Yesterday afternoon they got about a 1/4 inch of snow in Salinas, down near Monterey, about 90 miles south of SF.

I imagine the hills would be treacherous!!!

Yet... I have often heard that Toronto, topo-wise, is like "SF turned upside down." That being with all the ravines... What does that make TOR when it snows... :P

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Why are they freaking out about snow in the Bay Area? There are so many micro-climates there... Isn't SF considered a "cold weather" town... True it is marine climate... But anything can happen.

It's a cold weather town because it's surrounded by 55 degree water. So it's cold in the summer and cold in the winter but the water keeps the city too "warm" for snow. It was down to 39 this weekend which is cold but not cold enough for snow. When I lived in OC I was driving to the airport at 5:00am and it was 28 degrees. But that's because it was crystal clear out so no snow.

Edited by Chef Jim

It's a cold weather town because it's surrounded by 55 degree water. So it's cold in the summer and cold in the winter but the water keeps the city too "warm" for snow. It was down to 39 this weekend which is cold but not cold enough for snow. When I lived in OC I was driving to the airport at 5:00am and it was 28 degrees. But that's because it was crystal clear out so no snow.

That is what I always figured why they classified it as "cold"... A marine climate chases the snow away I take... Probably like Aukland, NZ? I think there they have the same lat south as Chicago is lat north. No?