Fuggabout Clements its Gray I fear losing

Clements is getting interest from Pitt now in addition to the flirtation with Notre Dame, my guess is that the Golden Dome job was the real worry because it was Clements alma mater and it would simply take a whole bunch o money from Pitt to pry Clements off the same track which brought MM an HC job which Clements is now firmly on.

The real worry for the Bills however will likely come post season as my guess is that Gray will likely be an interview candidate for every HC opening there is. Since the NFL by rule is requiring all of its teams to give a serious interview to minority candidates to try to reverse the obvious discrimination which has led to only 8 or so African-American HCs in the entire history of the NFL, Gray is an obvious candidate for a promotion from DC which he would be allowed to consider even though he is under contract:

1. His teams under both GW and KK have ranked in the top 5 statistically for NFL teams.

2. He demonstrated quick tactical mastery of the zone blitz by doing all the play calling last year and when it came down to a choice between its originator and him he won out.

3. He showed a strategic mastery to match his tactical work by designing and swiftky implementing changes in the Bills scheme which have nullified what opponents were doing well in the first half.

4. He now has drawn national notice (in addition to the practical notice he demonstrated as he shut down team after team) by seeing his Bills hold Cleveland to Pop Warner league size numbers for offensive production.

5. He has already been judged by the Bills as meriting HC consideration as we interviewed him for the job last year befire hiring MM.

Losing Gray strikes me as a bigger problem than losing Clements as MM is an offensive guy and since LeBeau is gone we would pretty much be at square 1 for hiring a replacement.

TD again is looking smarter and smarter for extending Gray early. It may not be enough if Cleveland or one of the teams looking offers him the ranch and the dog of an HC position, but this does worryme.

If Clements was to leave Mularkey could call the plays like he did for Pittsburgh.

Really, who replaces Gray if he decides to leave? Well, I know he's still under contract but if he's hired for a head coaching job, his contract becomes null and void.

I think thats why TD inked him to an extension....show some loyalty to Gray and maybe he will give some back, stay with us a couple more years(instead of taking a HC job in college)....

If this defense stays solid the next two seasons...No doubt he gets a head coaching job somewhere in the NFL

I think your onto something here...

Problem is I haven't heard Grays named mentioned ONCE this season for any college or NFL openings, which is strange I will admit.

If not next year, I will bet he will be gone the year after..

159352[/snapback]

Your post is a valid concern because he has developed into a top notch coach. Thank god the Univ. of Texas is having a good year because that HC job was on his immediate radar screen.

Gray needs to become a more known quantity before he gets serious offers to become a HC. That means we will not lose him until the Bills are on the national stage kicking butt...and that means getting into the playoffs next season (yes possibly this season too) so that everyone is aware of who he is and how great he's done coaching the Bills defense. You have to remember that with most coaching hires there is an element to get someone that people "know" at least to appease the fan base and help sell tickets for a team in a disaster situation. I know that shouldn't be a factor but it is. I think we lose him in a couple of years.

I don't think we lose Gray this year, as there are other candidates available, such as Philly DC and the Pats (Romeo Crennel?). As someone mentioned before he needs to become more of a known DC throughout the country. I believe that will happen next year after an entire season of good defense and national spotlight games plus playoffs (He may become more nationally known if we make the playoffs this year, but that may be just out of reach.) We lose him after the 2005 season, hopefully by then Krumrie will be able to take over.

I think Gray will get a lot of courteous looks this off season because of the minority policy of the NFL but is likely a year or two away from getting serious consideration. The interview process he goes through this off season will likely help him in the long run securing a job down the road. He's a very good candidate already. Young, smart, aggressive on the field but calm listening to him talk, great pedigree and player, the players like him, and he has a good look to him. He should make a good coach someday.

I don't think Grey will go anywhere unless he gets a Head Coaching job someplace. I think he likes his players and this team to much. It is obvious he likes it here when he decided to stay even tho he was the 2nd choice for our defensive coordinators spot.

Besides how could you not want to work with MM.

Gray´s not going anywhere soon. Unless we make serious noise in the postseason, he won´t be on anybody´s list. Maybe a few years from now, but not as we speak.

159703[/snapback]

I hope you are right that Gray will not be on anyone's list. If I were Cleveland and looking for an HC next year (which they will be) Gray just did a pretty impressive first job interview with them Sunday. They know who he is and what he can do bigtime.

My sense is that he will at least get the courtesy calls because:

1. He has been considered for an HC job before because the Bills interviewed him.

2. Last Sunday's effort is not the same as winning the SB was for Lewis, but holding an opposing NFL squad to such low yardage prouction will serve to get him noticed more widely.

3. The minority-hiring requirement process mandates the interviewing from a relatively small pool of candidates with folks like Crennel, Gray and Cotrell heading the list. I think Crennel will be the lead but gray will get some interviews.

Once you are in the interview all bets are off. We saw from TD hiring GW that the issue which can make the determining difference is how individuals interact. If Gray hits it off with some GM or owner I worry.

I hope you are right that Gray will not be on anyone's list.  If I were Cleveland and looking for an HC next year (which they will be) Gray just did a pretty impressive first job interview with them Sunday.  They know who he is and what he can do bigtime.

My sense is that he will at least get the courtesy calls because:

1. He has been considered for an HC job before because the Bills interviewed him.

2. Last Sunday's effort is not the same as winning the SB was for Lewis, but holding an opposing NFL squad to such low yardage prouction will serve to get him noticed more widely.

3. The minority-hiring requirement process mandates the interviewing from a relatively small pool of candidates with folks like Crennel, Gray and Cotrell heading the list. I think Crennel will be the lead but gray will get some interviews.

Once you are in the interview all bets are off.  We saw from TD hiring GW that the issue which can make the determining difference is how individuals interact.  If Gray hits it off with some GM or owner I worry.

159759[/snapback]

True. I think I would be more worried if Cotrell went out and got a HC job right after his Bills years. But he didn't. There are a lot of good candidates out there. Let's not forget Fassell is still kicking around, Gregg Williams could be sought, Philly's guys have to be in demand...

And while I think Gray has done a good job, you can't argue with the talent this team has on defense when it's healthy, either.

I think Gray will get a lot of courteous looks this off season because of the minority policy of the NFL but is likely a year or two away from getting serious consideration. The interview process he goes through this off season will likely help him in the long run securing a job down the road. He's a very good candidate already. Young, smart, aggressive on the field but calm listening to him talk, great pedigree and player, the players like him, and he has a good look to him. He should make a good coach someday.

159693[/snapback]

I think Kelly hits the nail on the head here. Gray is in a good position right now, but I think he's still another year or two from being seriously considered for a HC job.

He will probably interview this offseason or next for a job, but most likely it will be for the interview experience. If our defense does as well next year as this year, then he may very well be in position for a HC job then.