Hey Government!!

Chef Jim

Keep your nose out of my cheese!

Boy this stinks.

In early January, President Obama signed into law historic food-safety legislation, the first major revamping of the country's regulations on food quality since the Great Depression. Some small cheesemakers may be exempted, but for those that are not, and many will not be, it means stepped-up inspections of farms and food-processing facilities. The law also calls for the FDA to hire 2,000 additional inspectors

Hey look, Obama created 2000 jobs. :rolleyes:

Edited by Chef Jim

Here is really the problem in America:

"...That said, Kehler is quick to add that one of the current problems, he believes, is that the FDA comes in not as a source of technical support but looking to punish. “They’re the hammer. In other countries, food-safety agencies have a regulatory component, but they’re also there to help companies produce safe food, not put them out of business.”"

We need to change this culture in gov't.

"...That said, Kehler is quick to add that one of the current problems, he believes, is that the FDA comes in not as a source of technical support but looking to punish. "They're the hammer. In other countries, food-safety agencies have a regulatory component, but they're also there to help companies produce safe food, not put them out of business.""

And which side of that eisle does that culture come from?

And you're the one for over regulating small dairy farms aren't you.

Edited by Chef Jim

"...That said, Kehler is quick to add that one of the current problems, he believes, is that the FDA comes in not as a source of technical support but looking to punish. “They’re the hammer. In other countries, food-safety agencies have a regulatory component, but they’re also there to help companies produce safe food, not put them out of business.”"

Start with the IRS !!!!

And which side of that eisle does that culture come from?

And you're the one for over regulating small dairy farms aren't you.

You didn't even read your own article did you before you started spewing the partisan hack crap.. Did you?

Over-regulating? To make sure that they are not a problem to the health of society? Like how our situation in this country was many moons ago. See this is another problem also. Even if the gov't regulates to "teach" rather than enforce... They would still get dolts like you that think they know more than others. There in lies the problem with America. Maybe that is why the culture is to enforce and punish... Rather than teach.

Keep on beating the partisan BS Chef... :(

You didn't even read your own article did you before you started spewing the partisan hack crap.. Did you?

Over-regulating? To make sure that they are not a problem to the health of society? Like how our situation in this country was many moons ago. See this is another problem also. Even if the gov't regulates to "teach" rather than enforce... They would still get dolts like you that think they know more than others. There in lies the problem with America. Maybe that is why the culture is to enforce and punish... Rather than teach.

Keep on beating the partisan BS Chef... :(

Yes over-regulating. When the government regulates companies to the point of them having to go out of business then that's over regulating. We cannot regulate utopia. You eat you take a risk of getting sick. I'm not saying zero regulation I'm just saying that it never stops.

Oh and I don't think I know more about the food industry than others. I KNOW I know more about the food industry than others. Especially people like you.

Edited by Chef Jim

Yes over-regulating. When the government regulates companies to the point of them having to go out of business then that's over regulating. We cannot regulate utopia. You eat you take a risk of getting sick. I'm not saying zero regulation I'm just saying that it never stops.

Oh and I don't think I know more about the food industry than others. I KNOW I know more about the food industry than others. Especially people like you.

You know too much...therefore you'd make a bad regulator. [/TPS]

Again... This is the problem... I am not talking about me... Of course you know more than me, even given your past credibility... Which I am somehow to believe and trust??? Oh, well... But, I will surely take other's expert opinion over yours... Just like me, you are just a schmoe on the internet. When it comes to many other "experts"... You are way over your head and overestimate yourself. What are they to do? Listen to and ex-"chef"/cokehead?

Take this advice:

"Every man knows his limits."

You would be best to heed it.

Take "Chef Jim's" advice on the internet! :lol: Again, you guys (not picking on DC Tom) think of yourself way too highly and that is the problem the regulators get into no doubt. You think you would actually listen? Or just get into a pissing contest like you are doing with me?

Sorry it degraded to this... It probably would NOT have if you just read the article with non-partisan eye.

Again... This is the problem... I am not talking about me... Of course you know more than me, even given your past credibility... Which I am somehow to believe and trust??? Oh, well... But, I will surely take other's expert opinion over yours... Just like me, you are just a schmoe on the internet. When it comes to many other "experts"... You are way over your head and overestimate yourself. What are they to do? Listen to and ex-"chef"/cokehead?

Take this advice:

Take "Chef Jim's" advice on the internet! :lol: Again, you guys (not picking on DC Tom) think of yourself way too highly and that is the problem the regulators get into no doubt. You think you would actually listen? Or just get into a pissing contest like you are doing with me?

Sorry it degraded to this... It probably would NOT have if you just read the article with non-partisan eye.

Well you have half of that right. Furthermore, Chef is a self proclaimed pothead, not a cokehead.

Edited by 3rdnlng

Take this advice:

I actually don't think that highly of myself. I just think that little of all of you.

Yeah, that's right. I'm whale ****. You're lower.

Take this advice:

So you're cool with government regulating small middle class companies out of business? Gee how progressive of you. :lol:

So you're cool with government regulating small middle class companies out of business? Gee how progressive of you. :lol:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So you are cool with small middle class business causing a public heath problem? Gee how conservative of you. :lol:

Well you have half of that right. Furthermore, Chef is a self proclaimed pothead, not a cokehead.

Working in the restaurant business and just a simple "pothead"... How naive of you. Go back and read.

:P

You know too much...therefore you'd make a bad regulator. [/TPS]

Ex-smokers make bad regulators. [/any ex-smoker]

Oh yeah people are just dropping like flies from tainted cheese. :wallbash:

Laugh now. We had this whole debate years ago with Olivier... If you want to turn the clock back... So be it. Just like my crazy sister in VT (yes, she is crazy too! :P ) that goes on the whole raw milk kick from a local farmer... Just be sure you know where you are getting your product from.

I just don't buy the whole "poor small farmer put out of business bit." We went through this many moons ago in history and that is when there were public health problems like TB and such... Believe it or not, stuff like TB is on the rise... And it is because of stupidity that our parents and grandparents knew to correct. We have been living way to comfortable and doomed to repeat past mistakes if we don't think progressive. Yes, PROGRESSIVE. Have a Tea Bagger laugh on me. But what you rail against is actually what gov't should be having its hands in... Just not the heavy punitive hand, but the teaching hand... Yet, I can't imagine anybody teaching you... You know it all!

Next thing you are gonna say is that you are anti-vaccination... :doh: You can't dodge the issue on this one.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Ex-smokers make bad regulators. [/any ex-smoker]

Laugh now. We had this whole debate years ago with Olivier... If you want to turn the clock back... So be it. Just like my crazy sister in VT (yes, she is crazy too! :P ) that goes on the whole raw milk kick from a local farmer... Just be sure you know where you are getting your product from.

I just don't buy the whole "poor small farmer put out of business bit." We went through this many moons ago in history and that is when there were public health problems like TB and such... Believe it or not, stuff like TB is on the rise... And it is because of stupidity that our parents and grandparents knew to correct. We have been living way to comfortable and doomed to repeat past mistakes if we don't think progressive. Yes, PROGRESSIVE. Have a Tea Bagger laugh on me. But what you rail against is actually what gov't should be having its hands in... Just not the heavy punitive hand, but the teaching hand... Yet, I can't imagine anybody teaching you... You know it all!

Next thing you are gonna say is that you are anti-vaccination... :doh: You can't dodge the issue on this one.

Shouldn't I be the one to determine the risk I take with what I eat. If I want unaged cheese made with raw milk that's my choice. If I want a rare burger that's my choice. If I want steak tartar that's my choice. I can't get a !@#$ing burger cooked less than medium well due to government intervention into the kitchen. I have to eat **** at certain restaurants because they're afraid of the healt department. Yes that's over regulation.

And what is the government going to teach me about eating unaged cheese made with raw milk or eating raw meat? That I might get sick? No, I already know that. I'm a big boy, I'll take the chance.

Shouldn't I be the one to determine the risk I take with what I eat. If I want unaged cheese made with raw milk that's my choice.

No. I could care less if you contract TB from raw milk products... Just don't hack all over me. You can't guarantee that, until you can... The answer is still no.

Quick Google search

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

No. I could care less if you contract TB from raw milk products... Just don't hack all over me. You can't guarantee that, until you can... The answer is still no.

Quick Google search

Yeah, there is that.

There are valid public health reasons to perform surveillence of food for disease...all the same, like was mentioned earlier, our system is geared less towards prevention and more towards blame, which is stupid and useless.

Yeah, there is that.

There are valid public health reasons to perform surveillence of food for disease...all the same, like was mentioned earlier, our system is geared less towards prevention and more towards blame, which is stupid and useless.

Bingo! That is the point I have clearly made before he gets all partisan. Yet, it seems Chef wants nothing more than a free-for-all. What is up with that? I agree, we need change... But sorry for the bad analogy... Can't leave the barn door open doing it.

Also from the article:

On top of all that, the historical record is full of cultures from all over the world who subsisted on raw dairy products, with no refrigeration, no processing, and most importantly, no tuberculosis. Choose your raw milk source carefully and you'll be able to say the same.

Yeah, there is that.

No the restaurant business had been geared towards provention for the past 15-20 years. Major changes have been made in the education of handling of food to prevent food borne illnesses. My point is the government is never satisfied and want more and more regulation. Once again if people were dying left and right I'd see the need for more regulation but they're not.

This goes back 6 years:

NYC, 2005 Incident

What Chef is saying is all fine and dandy... Yet, it only takes small amounts to infect good raw supply. How do we control it if the genie slowly gets out of the bottle and things start spreading... God forbid infringe on his right to eat raw milk products! :wallbash:

No the restaurant business had been geared towards provention for the past 15-20 years. Major changes have been made in the education of handling of food to prevent food borne illnesses. My point is the government is never satisfied and want more and more regulation. Once again if people were dying left and right I'd see the need for more regulation but they're not.

...And if they do start dieing? We aren't talking carp here. :P