Inventions (1860-1875)

CosmicBills

Okay, so my internet research skills are coming up short ... I'm doing some research for work and need a little help from the kind folks here. Basically, without boring you with the details, I'm working on something set in the 1870s (US) and have a character who's unabashedly modern. He likes all the newest gizmos and gadgets -- even if he's not good with them. And I need to find something that he can use that demonstrates this.

I've toyed with using photography and the typewriter (neither really did what I wanted though). It can really be anything that a single person would use (either at home or in a city).

I know that's vague and weird, but just taking a shot that the collective brain powers here will have a far better answer than I've been able to find on google. ha!

Thanks!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few. :D

MOTORCYCLE

The earliest motorcycle was a coal-powered, two-cylinder, steam-driven motorcycle that was developed in 1867 by the American inventor Sylvester Howard Roper. A gas-powered motorcycle was invented by the German inventor Gottlieb Daimler in 1885. His mostly wooden motorcycle had iron-banded wheels with wooden spokes. This bone-crunching vehicle was powered by a single-cylinder engine.

POTATO CHIPS

The potato chip was invented in 1853 by George Crum. Crum was a Native American/African American chef at the Moon Lake Lodge resort in Saratoga Springs, New York, USA. French fries were popular at the restaurant and one day a diner complained that the fries were too thick. Although Crum made a thinner batch, the customer was still unsatisfied. Crum finally made fries that were too thin to eat with a fork, hoping to annoy the extremely fussy customer. The customer, surprisingly enough, was happy - and potato chips were invented!

STRAUSS, LEVI

Levi Strauss (1829-1902) was an entrepreneur who invented and marketed blue jeans. Trained as a tailor in Buttenheim, Bavaria, Germany, Strauss went to San Francisco, USA from New York in 1853. Strauss sold dry goods, including tents and linens to the 49ers (the people who came to the California gold rush, which began in 1849). In 1873, Strauss and Jacob Davis, a Nevada tailor, patented the idea (devised by Davis) of using copper rivets at the stress points of sturdy work pants. Early levis, called "waist overalls," came in a brown canvas duck fabric and a heavy blue denim fabric. The duck fabric pants were not very successful, so were dropped early on. His business became extremely successful (and still is), revolutionizing the apparel industry.

TOILET PAPER

Joseph Gayetty invented toilet paper in 1857. His new toilet paper was composed of flat sheets. Before Gayetty's invention, people tore pages out of mail order catalogs - before catalogs were common, leaves were used. Unfortunately, Gayetty's invention failed. Walter Alcock (of Great Britain) later developed toilet paper on a roll ( instead of in flat sheets). Again, the invention failed. In 1867, Thomas, Edward and Clarence Scott (brothers from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA) were successful at marketing toilet paper that consisted of a small roll of perforated paper . They sold their new toilet paper from a push cart - this was the beginning of the Scott Paper Company.

Close to the years anyway........

Edited by erynthered

Okay, so my internet research skills are coming up short ... I'm doing some research for work and need a little help from the kind folks here. Basically, without boring you with the details, I'm working on something set in the 1870s (US) and have a character who's unabashedly modern. He likes all the newest gizmos and gadgets -- even if he's not good with them. And I need to find something that he can use that demonstrates this.

I've toyed with using photography and the typewriter (neither really did what I wanted though). It can really be anything that a single person would use (either at home or in a city).

I know that's vague and weird, but just taking a shot that the collective brain powers here will have a far better answer than I've been able to find on google. ha!

Thanks!

OK, ya owe me...

Englishmen, John Herschel invents the blueprint.

Samuel Slocum patents the stapler.

Joseph Dart builds the first grain elevator.

Alexander Bain of Scotland, invents the facsimile.

Englishmen, John Mercer invents mercerized cotton.

American, Elias Howe invents a sewing machine.

Robert William Thomson patents the first vulcanised rubber pneumatic tire.

Dr. William Morton, a Massachusetts dentist, is the first to use anesthesia for tooth extraction.

Hungarian, Ignaz Semmelweis invents antisceptics.

Waldo Hanchett patents the dental chair.

Walter Hunt invents the safety pin.

Joel Houghton was granted the first patent for a dishwasher.

Isaac Singer invents a sewing machine.

Jean Bernard Léon Foucault invents gyroscope.

Henri Giffard builds an airship powered by the first aircraft engine - an unsuccessful design.

George Cayley invents a manned glider.

John Tyndall demonstrates the principles of fiber optics.

Isaac Singer patents the sewing machine motor.

Georges Audemars invents rayon.

Louis Pasteur invents pasteurisation.

George Pullman invents the Pullman Sleeping Car for train travel.

Hamilton Smith patents the rotary washing machine.

Jean Lenoir invents an internal combustion engine.

Elisha Otis patents elevator safety brakes, creating a safer elevator.

Pierre Michaux invents a bicycle.

Linus Yale invents the Yale lock or cylinder lock.

Richard Gatling patents the machine gun.

Alexander Parkes invents the first man-made plastic.

Alfred Nobel invents dynamite.

J. Osterhoudt patents the tin can with a key opener.

Englishmen Robert Whitehead invents a torpedo.

Christopher Scholes invents the first practical and modern typewriter.

George Westinghouse invents air brakes.

Robert Mushet invents tungsten steel.

J P Knight invents traffic lights.

J.S. Risdon patents the metal windmill.

A.M. Ward issues the first mail-order catalog.

Joseph Glidden invents barbed wire.

American, C. Goodyear, Jr. invents the shoe welt stitcher.

Alexander Graham Bell patents the telephone.

Nicolaus August Otto invents the first practical four-stroke internal combustion engine.

Melville Bissell patents the carpet sweeper.

Thomas Edison invents the ylinder phonograph or tin foil phonograph.

Eadweard Muybridge invents the first moving pictures.

Sir Joseph Wilson Swan was the first person to invent a practical and longer-lasting electic lightbulb.

There were a shitload of patents submitted during the civil war. Most were ways to kill people so those should be fun to put in there. My favorite was a weapon that was two cannons that shot simultaneously two cannon balls with a chain attached to the two. The plan was to have the chain mow down the approaching line of enemy. Seeing they could never get the two cannons to fire at exactly the same time it never worked. The tests I bet however were a blast (no pun intended) to watch.

Edited by Chef Jim

There were a shitload of patents submitted during the civil war. Most were ways to kill people so those should be fun to put in there. My favorite was a weapon that was two cannons that shot simultaneously two cannon balls with a chain attached to the two. The plan was to have the chain mow down the approaching line of enemy. Seeing they could never get the two cannons to fire at exactly the same time it never worked. Test I bet however were a blast (no pun intended) to watch.

It was supposed to work at sea also to take down rigging and masts

It was supposed to work at sea also to take down rigging and masts

Was widely used before and during the Napoleonic era for just that, albiet fired out of a single barrel. It became largely obsolete before the Civil War with the invention and use of shell over shot.

Never heard of it being fired as an anti-personnel weapon out of two barrels, though. Rather silly.

Tgreg...try to dig up a mail order catalog from the era, that should have lots of "didn't know I needed it" goodies in it. Of course, the mail order catalog was invented in 1872...which, being full of "didn't know I needed it" goodies, would make it a good prop...

PVC was also invented in the 1870s...if you want to dress a character like Carrie Ann Moss in The Matrix.

Was widely used before and during the Napoleonic era for just that, albiet fired out of a single barrel. It became largely obsolete before the Civil War with the invention and use of shell over shot.

Never heard of it being fired as an anti-personnel weapon out of two barrels, though. Rather silly.

Tgreg...try to dig up a mail order catalog from the era, that should have lots of "didn't know I needed it" goodies in it. Of course, the mail order catalog was invented in 1872...which, being full of "didn't know I needed it" goodies, would make it a good prop...

PVC was also invented in the 1870s...if you want to dress a character like Carrie Ann Moss in The Matrix.

I misunderstood.

It was actually a single cannon with double barrels. Still didn't work.

yeah, try and find an old SkyMall catalog... you should be golden then!