Any North Tonawanda natives on here?

BillsPride12

The other day a co-worker of mine was saying that back in the early 80s that Oliver Street in North Tonawanda was in the guinness book of world records for having the most bars on one street. I'm rarely ever in that area but I have never known it to be anything other than a dump. I had no clue about this because that was a little before my drinking days. Was anyone here around for those days? Was it a good place for nightlife or was it just hole in the wall taverns? I know of a couple bars in NT right now that are kind of popular but I have never thought of NT as a bar mecca.

The other day a co-worker of mine was saying that back in the early 80s that Oliver Street in North Tonawanda was in the guinness book of world records for having the most bars on one street. I'm rarely ever in that area but I have never known it to be anything other than a dump. I had no clue about this because that was a little before my drinking days. Was anyone here around for those days? Was it a good place for nightlife or was it just hole in the wall taverns? I know of a couple bars in NT right now that are kind of popular but I have never thought of NT as a bar mecca.

BP,

I am 50 years old so a different generation-- my grandparents lived on Oliver St. between Robinson and Schenck. I spent just about every day after school at their house from 1965 to 1970 when we moved from WNY. The bars were definitely blue collar drinking holes in those days. The Italian club was next door to my grandparents. My grandfather said he liked the area because it was a great mix of residences, Italian stores, an old fashioned pharmacy with a dining counter, bars and restaurants and I have to admit it was a lot of fun. They were not high class watering holes, there were a couple of dives mixed in, there was a high concentration so I wouldn't be surprised if the world record story is factual. I don't remember a lot of law enforcement activity on the street ever -- the NT police had a peaceful co-existence with the patrons. I don't ever remember hearing bar brawls or sirens in the middle of the night and I spent more than a few nights with my grandparents.

The typical day was -- go to my grandparents from school and go on a walk with my grandpa while he showed off his favorite grandson (ha ha) to the neighbors. You jogged a lot of great memories. Thanks!

Edited by JoeF

I live in NT, but I'm only 22 years old so I can't say I was around back in the bar days. There are a few bars on Oliver which are OK but Webster seems to be where it's at lately. The Riviera is starting to be revived with life again, Dwyers and Crazy Jakes are fun bars and are usually packed both weekend nights, especially in the summer. JP Hooligans has opened up just across the canal in Tonawanda which is also a lively place on the weekends, and open until 4 am every night. All three bars are within 100 yards of each other so it usually leads to a fun night.

I've also heard of the world record before, but I never knew if it was true or just BS.

EDIT: Under Wikitravel-- Niagara Falls (New York)

"Oliver Street was in the guiness book of World records for many years for having the most bars on one street. Upwards of 100 bars are still on Oliver. One of the best being Soos's bar (now called Witter's Sports Bar and Grill). Oliver Street is located in NT (North Tonawanda) about 15 minutes from the Falls. At the end there are many things to do. Roller skating, tattoo shops, The Riviera Theatre."

Edited by Wooderson

Cool guys thanks for the feedback! Both stories very interesting, its cool knowing WNY had some recognition for watering holes :thumbsup: I tried to do a google search and see if I could find who holds the record right now and from what I could tell it looks like there's a street in Wisconsin that is the current champion. Wasn't really surprised by this since University of Wisconsin is known as a major College party town.

I was born in North Tonawanda but never lived there. \

One of the things I do miss about Buffalo though are the neighborhood dive bars. Typically, they have great patrons and good food. To Joe F's earlier comment law enforcement generally had no need to worry about them because the infrequent out of line patron was simply hauled off by his buddies until he calmed down.

I now live in the definition of suburbia outside of Dallas. While most things are very convenient they lack character. You walk into one Chili's or the like and you have walked into them all.