4 American hostages killed by pirates, US says

Booster4324

NAIROBI, Kenya – Four Americans taken hostage by Somali pirates off East Africa were shot and killed by their captors Monday, the U.S. military said, marking the first time U.S. citizens have been killed in a wave of pirate attacks plaguing the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean for years.

U.S. naval forces, who were trailing the Americans' captured yacht with four warships, quickly boarded the vessel after hearing the gunfire and tried to provide lifesaving care to the Americans, but they died of their wounds, the U.S. Central Command said in a statement.

Two pirates died during the confrontation and 13 were captured and detained, the U.S. Central Command said in a statement from Tampa, Fla.

I read several remarks about how the pirates have taken to torturing their hostages. Americans are going to be viewed especially in a bad light as we had the gall to sentence one to jail...

I read several remarks about how the pirates have taken to torturing their hostages. Americans are going to be viewed especially in a bad light as we had the gall to sentence one to jail...

We should have just shot them all and thrown them into the ocean....or just not have shot them, handcuffed their hands and feet and thrown them into the ocean.

Edited by Stl Bills

That is insane, why "capture" the pirates, provide them the same treatment that they offered the captives. What a waste of resource to care for, house, cloth, medical, transport legal fees etc. for a bunch of reprobates who clearly have no purpose in this society. That ship would have been sunk if we had any sense.

That is insane, why "capture" the pirates, provide them the same treatment that they offered the captives. What a waste of resource to care for, house, cloth, medical, transport legal fees etc. for a bunch of reprobates who clearly have no purpose in this society. That ship would have been sunk if we had any sense.

Those "Pirates" have rights under the US constitution. Just ask the ACLU. Their just enemy compatants, thats all.

On the other hand what were they doing yachting off the Somali coast?

According to the article, they were retired and had a boatload of bibles that they distributed freely to people and towns they landed in. I guess they deserved it.

According to the article, they were retired and had a boatload of bibles that they distributed freely to people and towns they landed in. I guess they deserved it.

Common sense in short supply. And yes, your sarcasm is noted.

Those "Pirates" have rights under the US constitution. Just ask the ACLU. Their just enemy compatants, thats all.

Ask the CSEA too, as they see this as an opportunity to hire another 10-20 gov't workers to watch these guys.

The taxpayer always gets it in the end :thumbdown:

With so many other fantastic and relatively safe places to sail why would anyone want to be in that part of the world. Bibles work here too.

Not sure what the ACLU would be able to do seeing as they are not anywhere close to American soil nor are they Americans we would have been smart to just take all the life jackets and put some holes in the boat.

Odd thing is they said 2 of the pirates had been dead for some period of time before US seized the ship. I wonder if the people on the ship had been resisting? Or was there conflict amongst the pirates? Something must have happened because it makes no sense for the pirates to kill the hostages, lose their leverage and bring the full wrath of the trailing warships upon them.

On the other hand what were they doing yachting off the Somali coast?

The Somali coastline is 1900 miles long; if you're sailing around Africa, it's kind of hard to avoid. Additionally, some of these attacks are happening hundreds of miles off-shore. It's not like people are sailing 5 miles off the coast challenging the pirates to board their boats.

Edited by Mr_Blizzard

Odd thing is they said 2 of the pirates had been dead for some period of time before US seized the ship. I wonder if the people on the ship had been resisting? Or was there conflict amongst the pirates? Something must have happened because it makes no sense for the pirates to kill the hostages, lose their leverage and bring the full wrath of the trailing warships upon them.

You're attributing more intelligence to the average Somali pirate than is owed.

The great part of it is, the American taxpayer now gets to spend $30M trying these cretins in American courts, then, if convicted, feeding and housing them for a while, and then when their sentences are up, I have absolutely no doubt they'll be allowed to stay here. Whereupon they can apply for free federal housing, food stamps, and Social Security.

They don't have any **** to bomb.

The pirates at least have some sort of land-based support. Bases, boats, mother ships, a dock or two.

Besides, last time we attacked Somalia it didn't end so well.

Only because Clinton was both a wimp, and a dumbass who believed that war should be bloodless.