Bills almost moved to Miami

BenchBledsoe

For the record, Ralph prefered Miami originally because he was familiar with the area. He owned and still owns a winter home in the Palm Beach vicinity. The city of Miami did not want the upstart AFL as a tennant for the old Orange Bowl and rejected his application for a lease. Miami did not want a new league for two reasons - The city had a bad experience with collecting rent from the old Miami Seahawks of the old All-America Football Conference in the mid-to late '40's and two- at the time the University of Miami did not want to share the stadium.

Ralph was offered by AFL founder Lamar Hunt  the choice of several cities - Atlanta, Louisville, St.Louis, Cincinnati and Buffalo. A Detroit sports editor friend of Ralph's suggested Buffalo - similar to Detroit on a smaller scale - and arranged to have him meet the then sports editor of the Buffalo News, Paul Neville who sold Ralph on Buffalo, a good football city that lost it's bid to be absorbed into the NFL when the old AAFC folded after the '49 season.

Buffalo at the time had what was considered a functional stadium, War Memorial -  later dubbed, "The Rockpile", which hosted NFL exhibition and college all-star games throughout the '50's.

Ralph took a chance with a $25,000 franchise fee and the rest is history.

159360[/snapback]

That story makes it even more remarkable that Ralph has kept the Bills in Buffalo for 45 straight years with absolutely zero connections to the city, and is also a tribute to both the city/region and us fans for being so involved in the team that a successful businessman like Ralph Wilson would shun bigger and better offers over time and keep the team here despite the area's obvious economic woes and unglamorous stature.

Here's to you, Ralph.

And okay, some of you assclowns can pat yourselves on the back a little, too.

That story makes it even more remarkable that Ralph has kept the Bills in Buffalo for 45 straight years with absolutely zero connections to the city, and is also a tribute to both the city/region and us fans for being so involved in the team that a successful businessman like Ralph Wilson would shun bigger and better offers over time and keep the team here despite the area's obvious economic woes and unglamorous stature.

Here's to you, Ralph.

And okay, some of you assclowns can pat yourselves on the back a little, too.

159682[/snapback]

Amen. Think of the eight original AFL teams and ask yourself how many have remained in their original location, more or less, since 1960.

The Dallas Texans moved to Kansas City.

The Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee.

The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles for more than a decade.

The Los Angeles Chargers moved to San Diego.

The Boston Patriots moved to a Providence suburb.

The New York Titans moved to New Jersey.

Only the Denver Broncos and Buffalo Bills have remained in their original cities since their inception. I suppose if you wanted to be technical you could say that the Bills' move to Orchard Park is equivalent to the Jets going across two rivers and the Patriots moving to the boondocks, but I disagree. The Patriots and Jets made it much more difficult for their original fan base to get to their home games, but the Bills didn't.

Amen.  Think of the eight original AFL teams and ask yourself how many have remained in their original location, more or less, since 1960.

Only the Denver Broncos and Buffalo Bills have remained in their original cities since their inception.  I suppose if you wanted to be technical you could say that the Bills' move to Orchard Park is equivalent to the Jets going across two rivers and the Patriots moving to the boondocks, but I disagree.  The Patriots and Jets made it much more difficult for their original fan base to get to their home games, but the Bills didn't.

159694[/snapback]

Not to mention that all those teams have had more than one single owner.

And in 1947, the Bisons changed their team name to the Bills.

After the demise of the AAFC, folks in Buffalo tended to support the NFL Browns.

159673[/snapback]

The "Dream" Super Bowl that never was but wish it had taken place: 1964, Bills vs. Browns. The Bills' great defense vs. the immortal Jim Brown.

The two teams combined only gave up seven points in their respective league championship games (Bills 20-7 over Chargers, Browns 27-0 over Colts).

40 years later and I still recall how special those teams were.

Amen.  Think of the eight original AFL teams and ask yourself how many have remained in their original location, more or less, since 1960.

Only the Denver Broncos and Buffalo Bills have remained in their original cities since their inception.  I suppose if you wanted to be technical you could say that the Bills' move to Orchard Park is equivalent to the Jets going across two rivers and the Patriots moving to the boondocks, but I disagree.  The Patriots and Jets made it much more difficult for their original fan base to get to their home games, but the Bills didn't.

159694[/snapback]

The financially mismanaged NY Titans also were bought back from their original owner by the AFL, sold to a new owner, and renamed the Jets.

Ralph Wilson is the ONLY original AFL owner to still own his team and keep it in the original city.

1960 (besides the birth of the AFL) also saw the expansion of the NFL with new teams in Dallas and Minnesota. This may be the only reason Lamar Hunt moved his Dallas Texans to KC.

I meant that Ralph, I believe, is the only owner to have the team its entire history and keep it in one city.

159714[/snapback]

That's definitely true of the AFL franchises. I can't think of too many NFL teams that have only had one owner since 1960, either - Steelers have had the Rooney family and the Giants the Maras, but I think that's about as close as it gets. (And no, the recent expansion franchises don't count in my book... not for another 30 or 40 years or so, anyway.)

For the record, Ralph prefered Miami originally because he was familiar with the area. He owned and still owns a winter home in the Palm Beach vicinity. The city of Miami did not want the upstart AFL as a tennant for the old Orange Bowl and rejected his application for a lease. Miami did not want a new league for two reasons - The city had a bad experience with collecting rent from the old Miami Seahawks of the old All-America Football Conference in the mid-to late '40's and two- at the time the University of Miami did not want to share the stadium.

Ralph was offered by AFL founder Lamar Hunt  the choice of several cities - Atlanta, Louisville, St.Louis, Cincinnati and Buffalo. A Detroit sports editor friend of Ralph's suggested Buffalo - similar to Detroit on a smaller scale - and arranged to have him meet the then sports editor of the Buffalo News, Paul Neville who sold Ralph on Buffalo, a good football city that lost it's bid to be absorbed into the NFL when the old AAFC folded after the '49 season.

Buffalo at the time had what was considered a functional stadium, War Memorial -  later dubbed, "The Rockpile", which hosted NFL exhibition and college all-star games throughout the '50's.

Ralph took a chance with a $25,000 franchise fee and the rest is history.

159360[/snapback]

Very accurate account here. When it came down to the final choices, it was us vs. Louisville. I've always been surprised Louisville doesn't have a major league team of some sort. It's like Richmond and how Columbus, OHand Memphis once were. I'd say they are a good candidate for the NBA. Not an NFL town in my opinion.