Some random thoughts

Adam

Heard an interview with Donald Trump the other night. I really pity the Republican party if he wins the nomination- surely, they can come up with a better candidate. Sure, his popularity would win a lot of votes, but I don't think he could do a good job. He made a good point, when he said he would get rid of all of the diplomats dealing economically with China and would have cutthroats from Wall Street deal with them and put a 25% tax in place on their imports. At first, I thought that sounded good. Problem is that they own too much of our economy- they would laugh at him.

Last night, I watched a special on Richard Nixon. Very sad. I heard a lot of good things about him, seems a lot of that was true. Unfortunately, it seems that becoming President was the worst thing that could have happened and getting forced out of office probably is the best thing that could have happened to him. Its really a shame to see anybody that miserable- I wasn't alive when he was president, but it seems that most of the good he did has been forgotten. Looking at his paranoia and the way he conducted himself as a social idiot, he reminds me of Bill Belicheck (even looks like him). I wish history would cover more of how he tried to help future presidents.

I didn't like George W Bush when he was president, I don't think he was half the president his father was- then again, his father didn't have the same world circumstances to deal with. A lot of his policies that were going to change under Obama haven't. Now I am not going to rip Obama for that either- I think he has matured and learned that some evils are necessary. I think everyone would want the prisons at Abu Ghraib and Gitmo closed- some things just aren't feasible. Seeing this stuff not change has softened my stance a bit on the Bush administration (although I am still against enhanced torture). Maybe the military tribunerals would work- if used, those tried would need to be given a fair trial though- and not be guilty until proven innocent. If that could be guaranteed, I think the people on the left would back off.

Stuff going on in the middle east is fun in some ways, to see people standing up for themselves, but it is also very scary.