'silly' Datona 500 question

Beerball

Trevor Bayne won the biggest race in NASCAR. Good for him, good for Wood Brothers!

Question though...the winning car is left at the track until the following year when the next winner's ride takes it's place. How huge a deal is that to Wood Brothers Racing? I know that they received a huge windfall based on yesterday's victory but does leaving a good race car at the track hurt them?

Trevor Bayne won the biggest race in NASCAR. Good for him, good for Wood Brothers!

Question though...the winning car is left at the track until the following year when the next winner's ride takes it's place. How huge a deal is that to Wood Brothers Racing? I know that they received a huge windfall based on yesterday's victory but does leaving a good race car at the track hurt them?

Sure, its a bigger deal for a smaller operation like the Wood brothers to leave a car at the track, but the money will more than make itself up due to the win.

As for the car, that car was most likely designed to run the restrictor plate races (2 at Talladega and 1 more at the July Daytona race), so it wasn't going to be run much more this season. Its not as if they were planning on loading it up and racing that car next week.

It seems.... Somehow wrong. Especially for some of your less well off teams. Even the big boys- do you hold your favorite car in reserve to make sure you have it the rest of the year?

Dare I ask, daytona has that, the special qualifying, etc... Might it be time to adjust a few of the rules to match the rest of the races? Maybe just make the pre-races for huge money instead of qualifying? Let them give a less preferred car from the team? Or am I underestimating the value of those traditions in NASCAR?

It is a tradition, for one, but like said above, it's a special car. It is designed to run maybe 2 tracks a year. Some times drivers will take the Daytonna car to Michigan or Texas, too. The car would dustball until Talledega.

If I'm not mistaken the car can be pulled from display at the team's discretion. It's not as if the Wood Brothers are contractually obligated to keep the car in Daytona USA for one year. I'd think that NASCAR would not object if there was a request to pull the car out for use.

That said, there' a couple of points to add:

1. The Wood Brothers have equipment support from Roush/Fenway Racing. So I'd guess they won't have an issue preparing another "plate track" car to compete at Talladega or Daytona.
  2. Trevor Bayne is not running a full season in the Cup Series; he's running for the Nationwide title. If the Wood Brothers don't have either Talladega race or the summer Daytona race then they won't have to worry about that car. However, I believe they usually enter the higher-profile races during the season and will enter the three remaining restrictor plate races.

I root for Tony Stewart but it was a nice surprise to see the Wood Brothers back in Victory Lane. I know some NASCAR history so I get what that win meant for them and their fans.

If I recall correctly, the shell of the car is what is left at the Daytona USA museum for the year, not the engine, which is the most critical component of the vehicles and the most expensive and time consuming piece of equipment. Most teams, at least the bigger teams have a few shells ready to go at all times and plug and play the engines between them depending on the track and the condition of the shell. So it isn't a huge disadvantage unless you are racing for a team that only has 1 or 2 shells in reserve, in which case I'm sure NASCAR would grant an exception to the team to pull their shell.