Is W now vindicated?

sorry exiled, but it was a very good thing to remove (or at least markedly alter) an enemy that publicly stated its desire to bury us.( sting's "i hope the russians love their children too is replaying in my head now,thanks alot) the threat was real...we didn't need our cookies baked.

Understandable and I repsect it... You are bit older than me... So you grew up during "all the hype.";)

:P

Yet, what I was alluding to is... We still could have used her (USSR) until a more stable fall. A bi-polar world wasn't such a bad thing... Relations were warming. See how China is today.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Libya isn't the Middle East. No one gave a **** about the Saudi Peninsula until the Brits found oil there - even to the Muslims, there was basically Mecca, Medina, and "What the !@#$ was Allah thinking when he made this shithole? !@#$ it, we're moving to Syria."

Yeah, that's precisely what Venice, Genoa, etc. were thinking when their trade with the middle east allowed them to grow massively rich by being the middle men to the rest of Europe. :rolleyes:

It's the same reason America wasn't discovered, too. Which means we all don't exist. Since the middle east was so unimportant, nobody was willing to risk near certain death to find a way to get around it.

Yeah, your history skills are way better than mine. :rolleyes:

sure. an obscure sea battle over pirating is analogous to regime change and nation building at a cost of 10's of thousands of lives and uncounted billions of $. maybe you could cite some ancient mesopotamian conflicts to further your argument. i recently saw some great carvings about them at the british museum. fascinating. but your point is salient. the geography is what it's all about in the 20th and 21st century. the importance of the geography has nothing to do with oil.

And the importance of oil now, or silk in the 1300s, has nothing to do with geography. So what?

Hell, the Eastern Roman empire grew massively rich compared to the Western, but the Western had much more territory. How did this happen, if scope and scale of commodities controlled is more important than geography?

The fact is: "location, location, location" was a universal truth before humans even existed. Trying to pretend that a single commodity, and no other, is more important than geography, is either woefully naive, or purposefully ignorant.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Yeah, that's precisely what Venice, Genoa, etc. were thinking when their trade with the middle east allowed them to grow massively rich by being the middle men to the rest of Europe. :rolleyes:

Knew you were going to say that. That would be Anatolia, Crimea, and the Levant, not the Arabian peninsula.

The constellation of rallies, modeled after the uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt, brought together a chorus of anger and frustration over government corruption, instability and shoddy public services. Unlike protesters elsewhere in the region, though, the crowds in Iraq did not call for an entirely new form of government.

That in itself is very interesting.

Won't last, though...

Knew you were going to say that: Google "The Incense Route", and dispel your ignorance.

I had no idea that Venice, Genoa, etc., dominated European trade in the fourth century AD.

Nice try. Next time, try not to be spectacularly wrong when you contradict me. :lol:

I had no idea that Venice, Genoa, etc., dominated European trade in the fourth century AD.

Nice try. Next time, try not to be spectacularly wrong when you contradict me. :lol:

Wrong. Although we can go round and around about what % of stuff came via caravan through the Arabian peninsula in the middle ages, the Incense Route is undeniable.

And, since you were the one who stated that nobody has ever cared about the Arabian peninsula, operative word = ever, I figure I'd hit you with something that makes you undeniably wrong.

Contradicting you? How about I know, and you don't. It's hard to contradict 0.

You all remember the theory...plant a democracy in the middle of the Middle East and it will spread. Well, now we have Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, and Bahrain all undergoing change in a democratic direction...

I know it's a revolting thought, but was W right about the inevitibility of the spread of Democracy in the Middle East?

And as a semi-related comment, why hasn't this turmoil spread to Syria? You'd think of all places that would be one place that would experience this kind of thing.

Not aware of a single protestor in any country saying they're doing this to "be like Iraq."

So the answer is "no."

Championing a phony WMD story as the basis for thousands of US deaths, and adding a trillion to the deficit is pretty hard to "vindicate" no matter.

Wrong. Although we can go round and around about what % of stuff came via caravan through the Arabian peninsula in the middle ages, the Incense Route is undeniable.

And, since you were the one who stated that nobody has ever cared about the Arabian peninsula, operative word = ever, I figure I'd hit you with something that makes you undeniably wrong.

Contradicting you? How about I know, and you don't. It's hard to contradict 0.

Actually, the incense route is pretty deniable, considering that it had ceased to exist in the era you're discussing.

But if you wish to consider old Roman trade routes through the Red Sea past a bunch of tribal kingdoms as "caring about the Saudi Peninsula" of a sort that stimulated the Italian Reniassance, you just go right ahead. :lol: Hell, not even the Muslims cared much about the Saudi peninsula, given that Umayyads transferred the caliphite to Damascus as soon as the possibly could.

Not aware of a single protestor in any country saying they're doing this to "be like Iraq."

So the answer is "no."

Championing a phony WMD story as the basis for thousands of US deaths, and adding a trillion to the deficit is pretty hard to "vindicate" no matter.

Record's skipping...

You said I'm a moron for expecting anyone to defend it. And now this pesky "vindication" thread ... :blink:

DC Tom said ...

"The policy of invading Iraq was indefensible. You say as much yourself. So what kind of a moron does that make you, expecting a defense of it?"

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

You said I'm a moron for expecting anyone to defend it. And now this pesky "vindication" thread ... :blink:

DC Tom said ...

"The policy of invading Iraq was indefensible. You say as much yourself. So what kind of a moron does that make you, expecting a defense of it?"

It is indefensible. And you are a moron.

That's fine, I'll take that as an apology. I can tell you're not capable of anything better.

Apology for what? The invasion of Iraq was indefensible. Period. You say so yourself. And then you pout like a petulant child because no one will discuss it with you - because, like a petulant child, you can't discuss it.

Hence...you're a moron. QED.

That's fine, I'll take that as an apology. I can tell you're not capable of anything better.

Are you the beer swilling cynic cum Jesus or is that the other one of you?

And why can't one of you jerkoffs change your name? I have no interest in keeping track. From now on, I'm going to treat you both like the Jesus convert because the other of you has no distinct personality.

So, shouldn't you be in Church?

And why can't one of you jerkoffs change your name? I have no interest in keeping track. From now on, I'm going to treat you both like the Jesus convert because the other of you has no distinct personality.

Treat 'em both like morons. Works for me.

Psssssst......that's the other Joe.