Mayock's pre-combine review discusses:

Beerball

Q. With the Bills at three, obviously they’ve been looking for a long‑term solution at quarterback for a while. Cam Newton’s a name that constantly comes up. Also with the defense that’s ranked 32nd against the run, there is pressure to fix that side of the ball as well. Can you just weigh the dilemma, for a lack of a better term there at three, between plugging some holes up on the defensive front versus getting the answer at quarterback with some of the questions that are out there that you already mentioned?

MAYOCK: To me it’s pretty simple. If you believe there is a franchise quarterback at three, and I don’t care if it’s Gabbert, Newton, Locker, whoever, if the Buffalo Bills believe that, that need trumps everything else.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is okay, but you need a franchise quarterback. If your belief is such, you’ve got to draft them. If not, if you have any doubts whatsoever, you look to the defensive side.

Who makes sense for Buffalo on the defensive side? I think Von Miller makes a lot of sense. The rush linebacker from A&M. I think a corner could make sense. Patrick Peterson could go that high.

So if you’re sitting there with Buffalo and you don’t go quarterback, there is an awful lot of play making defensive players to pick from. Whether it’s Fairley, whether it’s Marcell Dareus, Miller and Patrick Peterson would make a ton of sense.

Also interesting was him commenting on how deep the draft was for dl and that there would be first round graded talent available early in the second. So it would be possible to get cam then a first round quality dlineman. That would be an ideal scenario!

This is what I took from this _l_o_n_g_ article.

Patrick Peterson is big and too stiff. He really would have to be a press cover type guy. Considering the Bills give 10+ yard cushions on 3rd and short that doesn’t help us. He is likely going to move to safety.

***please pass at all cost, this guy is so over rated its unbearable and great DBs mean nothing when you don’t have a DL or LBs.

Cam Newton – Was a 1 read and run guy on Tape – per Mayock. It doesn’t seem to me that Mayock is very high on him. Also said he has some serious baggage to consider – that’s not news.

***Newton is too risky for me at this point.

5 Techs – He goes on to rave about JJ Watt, then says he likes C Jordan, and then mentions Muhammad Wilkerson from temple (who he brings up 4 or 5 times throughout the interview). He doesn’t mention any of the “big 3” DL guys (Fairley/Dareus/Bowers) as being 5 techs. Does he think Dareus/Fairley are 4-3 DTs only? This may limit us if the Bills feel the same way. In another section he says he really likes Bowers and Quinn but they are 4-3 ends only in his opinion. He also has a comment that says Clayborne was being considered an OLB by some but he had a bad Senior Year. This made me laugh – Clayborne as a OLB? The guy is 290 lbs and pretty slow. With all these DL guys there may be a chance we get a shot at Clayborne/Heyward/Taylor in round 2.

***DL is the deepest position of this draft. If you divided it in half, it would still be the deepest position in this draft. Not landing a big-time talent would be a disgrace. 1st and/or 2nd round should be a Dlineman, and at least 2 should be added IMO. Because of overall grades and our draft position, I don’t see how we could avoid taking a DL guy. The only other option is trade back.

Mallet – Its evident in his comments and his rankings he is not a big mallet fan. He cites his poor decision making and accuracy really hurting him. Serious baggage questions also.

*** I wouldn’t take him. He wont make it to the 5th, and that’s as early as I would – consider – him. Pass.

Also interesting was him commenting on how deep the draft was for dl and that there would be first round graded talent available early in the second. So it would be possible to get cam then a first round quality dlineman. That would be an ideal scenario!

Read that to which is one of the reasons I changed my 1st round pick yesterday......

One of the reasons you dont take a gamble on a Cam Newton is you need an impact 1st round defensive starter immediately.....BUT the thing is the defensive talent is so deep this year that you can get a 1st round grade defensive starter at the top of the SECOND round.......so its all good.

Even better would be a way to trade down for an additional 2nd and STILL get Newton and 2 defensive players in the 2nd round.

Thanks Beerball for the link, your posts are consistently the best, I've noticed).

Good stuff,especially the bit about the Bills.

I agree with Myock when he says, if you have the #3 pick and you even wonder if a franchise QB is available, you take him ahead of all other needs. That means Newton or Gabbert, depending what Chan and Buddy like.

More fuel for this is Mayock's comment that there are 7 or 8 first round DEs available and that a couple will slip to second round, which means we can get one at 32 easily. Not worth taking one with pick #3.

Thanks Beerball for the link, your posts are consistently the best, I've noticed).

Good stuff,especially the bit about the Bills.

I agree with Myock when he says, if you have the #3 pick and you even wonder if a franchise QB is available, you take him ahead of all other needs. That means Newton or Gabbert, depending what IF Chan and Buddy like.

More fuel for this is Mayock's comment that there are 7 or 8 first round DEs available and that a couple will slip to second round, which means we can get one at 32 easily. Not worth taking one with pick #3.

Big IF.

(thanks for the nice words)