Whole Wheat bread

Jim in Anchorage

Or just eat it because "it's good for you"? I find it bitter like chewing on raw coffee. Why can't I have a wonderful loaf of warm French bread? Just eat wheat germ if your that worried about it.

You talking sandwich bread? For a nice fresh loaf from the bakery I like the "whites" so to speak. For sandwich bread I love Wegmans whole wheat and I'd take it any day over the white bread. So much more flavor IMO. I do agree though that some whole wheat breads are just awful, the key is finding a good one. I also eat Wegmans whole wheat english muffins for the taste, not for the health benefits. That's just an added bonus.

Edited by kegtapr

i like it...i try to make whole wheat versions of breads when i use my bread maker...they aren't normally just plain whole wheat...i add lots of herbs and spices so maybe i am covering up the bitter taste you are referring to

Or just eat it because "it's good for you"? I find it bitter like chewing on raw coffee. Why can't I have a wonderful loaf of warm French bread? Just eat wheat germ if your that worried about it.

For the most part, hate whole wheat..it toasts especially bad. However, i do like the Whole Wheat Thomas englis muffins toasted for sandwiches.And yes this is to help keep weight down.

If I want bread as part of dinner, say with mussells or the such, I typically go with a nice white crunchy bagette.

I don't so much mind taste/texture, though some whole wheats I tried in the past are particularly nasty and they go bad a lot faster than white loaves in my experience (maybe it just seemed that way b/c we just didn't eat them). And I know it's "healthier"... but my stomach doesn't seem to like whole --- or any kind --- of wheat. Several family members have the same issue.

I make a lot of French bread, and recently I've been making some cinnamon-raisin, onion or garlic loaves in the food processor dough function, then bake in the toaster oven if I'm not running the full oven for something. Oh, and King Arthur flour is the best. In a pinch when nothing's made, I buy classic white, and stock up on unseeded rye and pumpernickel (my favorite, especially for egg salad or pulled pork) for a little variety.

Edited by UConn James