Survivor: Redemption Island

ajzepp

Exactly. Obviously they need to strategize to get a guy like Russell out of the game, but they shot themselves in the foot by doing it so early. Same with last night. You have the one wimpy girl who isn't worth a damn in challenges, but they vote out the feisty little ball of whoop ass instead and make themselves even weaker. They seem to have no forethought whatsoever, and they're completely caught up in their own group, apparently with no concern over winning anything. I don't get it.

Stephanie may talk a big game, but she really hasn't been very productive in the challenges. In the blindfold & word puzzle game, she had the main word minutes before Rob and couldn't come up with two small middle words even as Rob had a piece laying on the ground. Last night she was very unimpressive in deploying the ball. Yellow (Natalie) kept going to Grant, a former NFL player. Purple has their own former NFLer in Steve, and I don't think he wasn't even among her targets. Just from their configuration of who was placed where (they chose their pole assignments), purple had no chance in that challenge. I wouldn't have voted Sereta off just because she opted out, but that didn't help her case. Going into next week, her ability with her tooth situation is a concern.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Jeff Probst's blog:

Purple is definitely in trouble now. Obviously, if they can't win challenges.... This is the point where the Big-6 alliance has to break apart as it forms sub-groups that Krista pointed out at tribal last week. They're all going to have to work it to set some things up in case they lose. Yellow pretty much knows who it's going to vote off next (Philip). The day before/of the challenge is going to be critical for purple. Those divisions can really creep into how the tribe performs for immunity --- for good or bad. The circumstances of Russell's departure did play into it; it would be foolish to say otherwise. But I also think that wasn't where purple went wrong. Nor could it have been different based on the personalities they have in that tribe. As I believe AJ wrote, the only avenue Russell has left for any future Survivor is in an All-Stars edition. His reputation is an albatross that needs to be among other people with albatrosses to have a fair shot. I'm not sure why he agreed to appear in a season with a bunch of noobs. Rob has managed to control his group so far, perhaps b/c it has a number of somewhat naive youngsters. Neverthless, I think their unspoken strategy may well be that once the merge hits and it's "every man for himself," they take out purple's remnants and then backstab Rob the first chance they get. His idol has some significance, and the fact that he's managed to keep it secret so far is very much in his favor. As soon as he hears whispers....

Probst also defends "spa day" in this post.

Probst has a great job, man...lol

I agree about Rob keeping the idol secret. I've never understood why people want to broadcast it to the world when they find one. From time to time it may be useful to mention it, but as a general rule I'd rather keep it to myself if it were me. Rob is playing a very smart game. I'm glad he's on the show, and I'm even more glad Phillip is on his team. That makes for some pretty entertaining tv lol

Exactly. Obviously they need to strategize to get a guy like Russell out of the game, but they shot themselves in the foot by doing it so early. Same with last night. You have the one wimpy girl who isn't worth a damn in challenges, but they vote out the feisty little ball of whoop ass instead and make themselves even weaker. They seem to have no forethought whatsoever, and they're completely caught up in their own group, apparently with no concern over winning anything. I don't get it.

Rob, on the other hand, thinks things through to the very end. Like he explained last night why he tolerates the lazy girls. He knows they suck. But he also knows he can easily manipulate them and likes the thought of going up against one of them in the end. Their laziness will be ammo when he pleads his case for votes. He's also smart enough to keep Phillip around as long as possible because its takes the target off him. And he's a more than obvious target. Really interesting version this year. Just think how great it would have been if Russel tweaked his game enough to hang around a while?

Edited by Dante

Rob, on the other hand, thinks things through to the very end. Like he explained last night why he tolerates the lazy girls. He knows they suck. But he also knows he can easily manipulate them and likes the thought of going up against one of them in the end. Their laziness will be ammo when he pleads his case for votes. He's also smart enough to keep Phillip around as long as possible because its takes the target of him. And he's a more than obvious target. Really interesting version this year. Just think how great it would have been if Russel tweaked his game enough to hang around a while.

Amen to that last part. The show is ALWAYS better when you have smart, strategic people, and that's the biggest reason why I was sad to see him go. The team he left behind is not only dumb, but boring as heck. Stephanie was feisty and she was stirring it up, but aside from that they are just plain unwatchable. That Steve guy may have been in the NFL for 13 years or whatever he said, but he's dumb as a stick. I feel bad for the Iraqi war vet guy, cause he probably would be pretty good on another team, but he's surrounded by idiots. They got absolutely KILLED in that challenge yesterday. I don't see how they will possibly have any change in a physical competition from this point forward.

You're so right about Rob. He's impressing me more this time around than he did his first two. He sees the big picture and he makes moves to help make that picture in his mind become a reality. That's what russell did, too. The show is much more interesting when you have people who take risks and make big moves behind the scenes. I'm really glad this kid on the island is kicking butt. It's going to be fun watching the effect of his re-entrance into the game if he keeps it up. Of course, might even be more fun to see Phillip get sent out there to challenge him. Phillip is one of the best parts of the show this year...I almost think this guy is a plant or something...he's just too perfect for the show lol.

Amen to that last part. The show is ALWAYS better when you have smart, strategic people, and that's the biggest reason why I was sad to see him go. The team he left behind is not only dumb, but boring as heck. Stephanie was feisty and she was stirring it up, but aside from that they are just plain unwatchable. That Steve guy may have been in the NFL for 13 years or whatever he said, but he's dumb as a stick. I feel bad for the Iraqi war vet guy, cause he probably would be pretty good on another team, but he's surrounded by idiots. They got absolutely KILLED in that challenge yesterday. I don't see how they will possibly have any change in a physical competition from this point forward.

You're so right about Rob. He's impressing me more this time around than he did his first two. He sees the big picture and he makes moves to help make that picture in his mind become a reality. That's what russell did, too. The show is much more interesting when you have people who take risks and make big moves behind the scenes. I'm really glad this kid on the island is kicking butt. It's going to be fun watching the effect of his re-entrance into the game if he keeps it up. Of course, might even be more fun to see Phillip get sent out there to challenge him. Phillip is one of the best parts of the show this year...I almost think this guy is a plant or something...he's just too perfect for the show lol.

No real conspiracy. They probably just watched and said, "This dude is totally batsh-- crazy. [pause] Let's cast him!"

The challenges are really skillset-dependent. I wouldn't automatically count purple out.

Once the merge comes, a number of the things that are simmering right now look like they're going to boil over. For one, once Rob uses that idol he's going to be a marked man and will likely have to win individual immunity. Grant, especially, is going to be pissed.

No real conspiracy. They probably just watched and said, "This dude is totally batsh-- crazy. [pause] Let's cast him!"

The challenges are really skillset-dependent. I wouldn't automatically count purple out.

Once the merge comes, a number of the things that are simmering right now look like they're going to boil over. For one, once Rob uses that idol he's going to be a marked man and will likely have to win individual immunity. Grant, especially, is going to be pissed.

Yep, he doesn't leave his mental status up to imagination...he's definitely a wack job.

I love the merge, cause you have that great contrast between the celebration and the feast, and the resulting effects on alliances new and old once the fuzzy feelings wear off and their bellies empty again. The way Rob is playing so far, he'll have a clear strategy and contingency plan (or several contingency plans) in place every step of the way...will be fun to watch things develop

I haven't read up on him, but my first take was that Phillip is an actor cast into the role.

It's really hard to believe this guy was a special agent for the US govt lol

Although last week (or whenever it was) when he was observing on redemption island, Ralph was talking some crap and Phillip jumped iright in there and called him out. He read Ralph instantly and said that he did have the hidden idol. The look on Ralph's face was very telling, but I don't know that much was said about this. I found it pretty impressive, myself.

Edited by ajzepp

I haven't read up on him, but my first take was that Phillip is an actor cast into the role.

No, he's just crazy but fun to watch! He used to annoy me but now he's one of my favorites. :lol:

There's going to be nothing left of the purple team by the time the merge happens at the rate they are going lately. :lol::doh:

OK, I'm writing this post in Word as the episode is airing. If you don't like this, I don't know what to tell ya.

Stephanie shooting her mouth off about her first food list: "You're killin' me, smalls!"

Rob on Philip: "He's the most unaware person I've ever met." Well, it apparent that Rob has never met my mother.

The tile-matching game on Redemption was sweet. The concept of this second-chance place is great. Stephanie had some very pertinent comments before she left. I never questioned her ability about strategy, just how she chose to play the game right at the start, which really haunted / screwed her over the whole time with Purple. Absolutely right what she said to Rob; Yellow or the merged tribe will be looking to take him out at first chance. I wrote the same thing last week. Now Philip has this seed planted inside him, as well as the two Purple members. Rob has got to be planning on targeting Philip right now. And yep... "If he asks me straight up who to vote for, I'll say, 'Yaknow what, Philip? *You're* goin' home. I'll front-side him!'" LOL!

Purple started talking / dividing right away. Dave is on the outside looking in here at the start. We'll see how

anything changes as the immunity challenge is played. If they do vote him out, Purple is continuing down the wrong road, and whoever is left is not going to stand a friggin' chance once the merge comes.

I think Yellow might actually throw the challenge to get rid of Philip. Not certain, but it's possible. I think they could hold out another week with him, just to still be one-up on Purple.

Sarita in the challenge... wow. Slowness on the first bag, then they recovered. Gotta say that my heart was pumping during that. Grant earned some more brownie points there. He is a serious competitor in the challenges. Makes me wonder whether Rob might go after him after (or before?) the consensus Philip, so as to avoid having to face him after the merge. Loyalty-wise, tho, Rob has him wrapped around his little finger. Rob getting and disposing of the clue --- LOL! The Yellows are very naive.

Now there is some waffling on Purple. David or Sarita? Strength or loyalty? Wow, Ralph in the tribal --- STOOOOPID! Doesn't know what cohesiveness is, and would rather have guys who don't get along well but are individually strong. If they keep Sarita, they are done. "I wish I'd brought my stuff..." What a complete sh--head. Matt has almost a sure victory next week on Redemption.

Merge apparently happens after Redemption next week. Now it's really on! This changes the whole dynamic up to this point. If Philip and Matt could be turned to the remnants of Purple --- not out of the question --- there's a HUGE target on Rob. Just like Stephanie said. The ace in his pocket is that he has the idol. But he has to know when to use it, and once it's gone, I imagine that people in Yellow are going to be a little pissed that he led them on, especially Grant. I think he has to tell Grant, at least.

Edited by UConn James

I really, REALLY hope this is the one and only time they use this Redemption Island BS. It completely cheapens the Tribal Council.... once your torch is snuffed, that's it, :censored: the second chance. :thumbdown:

Robfather has just been outstanding, but I think he needs to get Phillip in-line for at least a couple more shows if he will make it to the end..

I really, REALLY hope this is the one and only time they use this Redemption Island BS. It completely cheapens the Tribal Council.... once your torch is snuffed, that's it, :censored: the second chance. :thumbdown:

Robfather has just been outstanding, but I think he needs to get Phillip in-line for at least a couple more shows if he will make it to the end..

I think you may very well be the only viewer with that opinion. Redemption Island has been awesome, and allows someone who got completely railroaded --- like Matt or Russell --- an opportunity to stay alive. I think you're alone on this.

I don't think there's a chance in hell that Philip doesn't align with Purple.... unless the combination of Rob's idol plus a personal immunity for a Rob-alliance makes it necessary for him to stick for pure numbers, and he can convince Rob to wipe out Purple first. Personally, I don't think that happens. I don't see how Philip survives next week.

I think you may very well be the only viewer with that opinion. Redemption Island has been awesome, and allows someone who got completely railroaded --- like Matt or Russell --- an opportunity to stay alive. I think you're alone on this.

I don't think there's a chance in hell that Philip doesn't align with Purple.... unless the combination of Rob's idol plus a personal immunity for a Rob-alliance makes it necessary for him to stick for pure numbers, and he can convince Rob to wipe out Purple first. Personally, I don't think that happens. I don't see how Philip survives next week.

I haven't been to the Survivor Sucks MB in a while, but I'm sure there is a Worst Season Ever thread or two there. :D

I haven't been to the Survivor Sucks MB in a while, but I'm sure there is a Worst Season Ever thread or two there. :D

That may be a valid opinion right now, especially given Purple's methods.

As I remember, tho, seasons didn't usually get really interesting until the merge. Everything that has been on a low simmer in the camps starts to boil over --- fast. It begins the making and breaking of alliances. Backstabs, frontstabs, double-crosses, immunity challenges that have more meaning and see more effort. People start to root for their favorite player rather than a favorite group of players.

Yeah, I think I'm probably in the camp that likes the Redemption island aspect. It hasn't been quite as dramatic as I expected, but I'd rather see the Redemption island duel than have a separate reward challenge. The redemption island duels allow for a chance to interact with the opposing team, which is interesting.

Also, James hit it on the head about Ralph...holy crap, this guy is a complete ignoramous!

-Probst: "Ralph, would you rather have twelve guys who work hard but don't get along, or twelve guys who don't work as hard but get along really well?"

-Ralph: "I disagree..."

-Probst: "That was a question, Ralph..."

LOL!

How cool was that volcano?? That would be an amazing experience to be perched up at the edge of that baby...talk about humbling! I was dying laughing when Rob threw the clue in there...I'm really enjoying his game this time around.

Edited by ajzepp

I'm surprised none of you mentioned the preview that showed Matt having a bad cut on his foot. Wouldn't it suck to lose out at this point due to an injury?

Yes, that would definitely suck...I'd like to see him re-enter the game and see the impact it has on the merge.

I'm surprised none of you mentioned the preview that showed Matt having a bad cut on his foot. Wouldn't it suck to lose out at this point due to an injury?

Especially to her. If it were Russell or the last girl it would be ok :thumbsup:

Let's see if it is a challenge that will require a lot of foot movement in a speed game. Several of them haven't. There was the tile-match, grappling hook-puzzle one, the lock one, the only one that required a lot of walking back and forth and was time-sensitive was the domino challenge with Russell. There's not a lot of space at the Redmeption arena, so there's more cerebral and placement-dependent contests there rather than true physical challenges like there are in the game.

Especially to her. If it were Russell or the last girl it would be ok :thumbsup:

How bad would that suck to have lasted all that time only to lose to Sarita, who has been next to worthless in challenges in the game?