Teacher suspended - says her students are lazy bastards

As Garrison Keillor wrote, "Freedom of speech is like the freedom to climb on your roof and try to fly. You can do it, but there will be consequences."

I don't necessarily disagree with many of the contentions. Even when I was in high school, there were many kids who just couldn't be bothered to care about anything, or try to push themselves to any extent. This has only gotten worse with the advent of walking electronics, the growth of the entitlement attitude, and the pervasive societal notion among teens that someone else will clean up their mistakes.

The blame for this country's failing schools has long been bouncing b/w teachers or parents or government that doesn't throw enough money down the pit of this problem. I'm not going to say that these two groups are faultless, but a large onus is on the kids themselves. They just don't give a sh-- about anything beyond the next 15 minutes. And I'm not saying that I have any idea about how we as a society can make them give a sh--, but placing blame almost entirely on other parties for the kids' own failures isn't the answer.

In this case, the teacher is living in the same fantasy world where there's no responsibility. If someone absolutely has to write this kind of stuff AND wants to keep his/her job, common sense would dictate they do so anonymously. It's not very difficult. I also have to posit that this teacher might have been happier about her job if she stopped thinking about it after she was done with her work. The most miserable people I know are always talking about their jobs, how much they earn, how long they have until retirement, etc. There are very few people whose jobs are this interesting.

Edited by UConn James

As Garrison Keillor wrote, "Freedom of speech is like the freedom to climb on your roof and try to fly. You can do it, but there will be consequences."

I don't necessarily disagree with many of the contentions. Even when I was in high school, there were many kids who just couldn't be bothered to care about anything, or try to push themselves to any extent. This has only gotten worse with the advent of walking electronics, the growth of the entitlement attitude, and the pervasive societal notion among teens that someone else will clean up their mistakes.

The blame for this country's failing schools has long been bouncing b/w teachers or parents or government that doesn't throw enough money down the pit of this problem. I'm not going to say that these two groups are faultless, but a large onus is on the kids themselves. They just don't give a sh-- about anything beyond the next 15 minutes. And I'm not saying that I have any idea about how we as a society can make them give a sh--, but placing blame almost entirely on other parties for the kids' own failures isn't the answer.

In this case, the teacher is living in the same fantasy world where there's no responsibility. If someone absolutely has to write this kind of stuff AND wants to keep his/her job, common sense would dictate they do so anonymously. It's not very difficult. I also have to posit that this teacher might have been happier about her job if she stopped thinking about it after she was done with her work. The most miserable people I know are always talking about their jobs, how much they earn, how long they have until retirement, etc. There are very few people whose jobs are this interesting.

I know how to fix the "entitlement" issue with kids...

1. Let them stay on their parent's health insurance until they turn 26

2. Encourage them when they decide to make "women's studies" their major in college

3. Tell them that all of them are special, and that all of them are going to live super-awesome lives, from the time they turn 3

4. Keep releasing movie after movie, that instead of properly framing challenges like ADHT(or whatever they are calling it now) and all the rest as something to be overcome, makes excuses for them, and even goes to far as to explain these deficiencies away as "super powers". :wallbash: (EDIT: I schit you not, if you are unlucky enough to watch that Percy Jackson movie...you'll see it word for word, provided you can get through 15 minutes of it. Movies like that make me want to cancel my HBO)

5. Make excuses, and whole other tests like the ACT, when they can't get the job done on the SAT.

Oh, wait....I suppose those things do the EXACT F'ING OPPOSITE of fixing the entitlement issue, don't they....morons.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Ever think about kids from Asian families who come to school in the US, learn English, prosper in the same classes as the rest of the students, are chosen valedictorian, go off to college....? What is different for them...textbooks, teachers, or PARENTS WHO VALUE EDUCATION AND CONTINUALLY INSIST THEIR CHILDREN EXCEL IN SCHOOL?

If the kid's parents/caregivers don't value education and spend time promoting learning, school becomes a social waste of time.

Which statement promotes a positive focus on school: "Yeah, that guidance counselor was an ^$$hole when I went there!" or "I had some bumpy times with her too, but all in all she really cared about me and helped me a great deal."?

Edited by Keukasmallies

Ever think about kids from Asian families who come to school in the US, learn English, prosper in the same classes as the rest of the students, are chosen valedictorian, go off to college....? What is different for them...textbooks, teachers, or PARENTS WHO VALUE EDUCATION AND CONTINUALLY INSIST THEIR CHILDREN EXCEL IN SCHOOL?

If the kid's parents/caregivers don't value education and spend time promoting learning, school becomes a social waste of time.

Which statement promotes a positive focus on school: "Yeah, that guidance counselor was an ^$$hole when I went there!" or "I had some bumpy times with her too, but all in all she really cared about me and helped me a great deal."?

Not even Asian students. I had a boss who came from Czechoslovakia to Michigan in 1969. He knew only a few words of English. They put him in first grade. By the end of the year, he was in his grade level and getting As. He then went on to get a PhD from Stanford in Immunology and a law degree.

4. Keep releasing movie after movie, that instead of properly framing challenges like ADHT(or whatever they are calling it now) and all the rest as something to be overcome, makes excuses for them, and even goes to far as to explain these deficiencies away as "super powers". :wallbash: (EDIT: I schit you not, if you are unlucky enough to watch that Percy Jackson movie...you'll see it word for word, provided you can get through 15 minutes of it. Movies like that make me want to cancel my HBO)

What the hell are you talking about? All they did early in the movie was show how he was actually NOT dyslexic or ADHD, but rather as the son of Poseidon had a mind that translated English to ancient Greek...or some such fantastical make believe storyline. That was why he had a hard time reading.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians was a very cool movie for kids, and was a lot of fun while simultaneously doing a groovy job personifying Greek gods kids typically only ever read about. If you watched the movie and walked away with "Hollywood is trying to explain away ADHD and dyslexia," you probably shouldn't stop at cancelling HBO, but unplug the TV altogether.

What the hell are you talking about? All they did early in the movie was show how he was actually NOT dyslexic or ADHD, but rather as the son of Poseidon had a mind that translated English to ancient Greek...or some such fantastical make believe storyline. That was why he had a hard time reading.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians was a very cool movie for kids, and was a lot of fun while simultaneously doing a groovy job personifying Greek gods kids typically only ever read about. If you watched the movie and walked away with "Hollywood is trying to explain away ADHD and dyslexia," you probably shouldn't stop at cancelling HBO, but unplug the TV altogether.

you're trying to impose reality on OC? who do you think you are King Canute?

One could throw in society as well. While it could be argued that the children, the parents and the government comprise society, i would submit it takes on a bit of all the entities and forms a life, a force of its own.

It's a combination of the feeling of entitlement, built upon parents who wanted better lives for their children but haven't instilled responsibility and a work ethic in their children, and to a lesser of the government giving them something for nothing, for which most have yet to understand or take advantage of. The clash of the hard right and the way out left where ideologies are held as sacred and lost is the ability to reason, compromise, and understand not only the position of others, but even the understanding of what your own ideology means or having the foresight to see what it will lead to. "Adults" today can't get along, find common ground, or even attempt to work together for the benefit of all (the rich, the poor, the middle class) so as a society do we have the right to expect anything but indifference (or worse) from our youth today?

None is so blind as those who will not see is the idiom to describe the political state of our country today as well. Our children are mirroring what we have perpetuated or created.

That movies sucked 8 ways till Sunday. Not only was it boring, but entire sections of the plot went absolutely nowhere. I had to turn it off, as it was either that, or throw something at my TV, thereby breaking it.

And, how does one describe "explaining away dyslexia and ADHD" not equal "fantastical make believe storyline"? These are serious, and apparently growing, problems. It does us no good to tell kids "Instead of dealing with the challenges you have, you can always fly away to fanstasyland where those challenges are actually talents!" :rolleyes:

Were you high when you watched it? :sick:

you're trying to impose reality on OC? who do you think you are King Canute?

Oh yeah ..lybob, why don't you try arguing against a single reply of mine to your sorry-assed posts for the last month.

I been blowing you up all over this board. And all you have is lamedick references, as usual.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Were you high when you watched it? :sick:

I was with my six-year-old. It was a movie for kids. We had a lot of fun watching it together. We also enjoyed watching Lego's "The Adventures of Clutch Powers," but I'm fairly certain you watched 15 minutes of that movie before turning it off because Hollywood was trying to explain away the lack of construction in the US because of necessary regulations put in place by a small group of evil minifigures led by Mallock The Malign.

It'll take you a while to figure it out, but what happens in your life does not simultaneously take place in everyone else's life at the exact same time. Sometimes a movie is just a movie.

I was with my six-year-old. It was a movie for kids. We had a lot of fun watching it together. We also enjoyed watching Lego's "The Adventures of Clutch Powers," but I'm fairly certain you watched 15 minutes of that movie before turning it off because Hollywood was trying to explain away the lack of construction in the US because of necessary regulations put in place by a small group of evil minifigures led by Mallock The Malign.

It'll take you a while to figure it out, but what happens in your life does not simultaneously take place in everyone else's life at the exact same time. Sometimes a movie is just a movie.

Yes, and sometimes quality time spent with your six-year-old is just quality time with your six-year-old.

See, I knew it was something like this. The fact that you had a good time with your kid doesn't make this a good movie, it only means you had a good time with your kid. But, now, I am certain, that I don't understand, because I don't have kids. :rolleyes:

The movie, brutal in its linear thinking, quite literally, says "your learning disability and ADD problems are not problems at all, they are skills". There's nothing to misinterpret, because the movie is so bad, they literally say it word for word. Did you think them saying "we're going to train" and then training, was a good example of foreshadowing? :lol: The dialog in this movie makes your average 70s Kung Fu movie look like The Big Lebowski.

Look, have a good time with your kid, but don't expect the rest of us to deny reality because of it. And, how much do you want to bet that one or more of the producers, directors, writers(cough) has a kid with with these problems, and this is their "gift" to them? :lol::rolleyes:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I am certain, that I don't understand, because I don't have kids. :rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with whether you have kids. We just think differently. I have less of a problem getting my head around the concept that people with learning disabilities are provided a unique challenge than I do trying to get my head around the fact that some people wake up every day with an intense need to find something -- anything -- to B word about simply because bitching makes them feel good.

I'll take the kid with learning disabilities on my team any day.

It has nothing to do with whether you have kids. We just think differently. I have less of a problem getting my head around the concept that people with learning disabilities are provided a unique challenge than I do trying to get my head around the fact that some people wake up every day with an intense need to find something -- anything -- to B word about simply because bitching makes them feel good.

I'll take the kid with learning disabilities on my team any day.

Holy not what I said at all, batman! Dude, I have coached all kinds of kids, including those with learning troubles. I hardly think you can pretend that you would have them on your team, and I wouldn't, since they have already been on my teams, literally. :wallbash: How many teams of yours have they been on?

This is precisely what I am talking about. The fact that you spent time with your kid, and this movie happened to be running in the background, means the movie is awesome, the couch was awesome, everything is awesome. :rolleyes: We don't think differently.. The difference here is: I am thinking, objectively = this movie sucked on all levels, especially the contrived BS on the learning challenges,

and you are: emoting.

Try actually doing = working with learning disabled/ADHD for an extended period, like I did, rather than being trite, and you rapidly(5 mins) learn how difficult it is for them, and you, to make progress on anything. The last thing the kid needs is being told that their problems aren't real and/or aren't that big of a deal. If your kid doesn't have these problems to deal with, thank God. But, when 12 year old baseball comes along, not T-ball, because every t-baller is retarded :D, but when it's 12 year old time for your kid, go ahead and coach the team, and then get back to me about just how important a constant and consistent message to the kids with challenges is. I will be just as right then as I am now, and you will still be: emoting :D

Edited by OCinBuffalo