Jeopardy- man vs computer

Beerball

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

In first public test, it seems IBM computer could make "Jeopardy!" champs deep blue

Watson, which IBM claims as a profound advance in artificial intelligence, edged out game-show champions Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter on Thursday in its first public test, a short practice round ahead of a million-dollar tournament that will be televised next month.

• 1 month later...

tonight, a 3 day set of jeopardy games starts pitting watson, an ibm computer, against the 2 most successful players in the show's history. i think it should prove interesting. is this the beginning of the real life "terminator" story or are humans truly irreplaceable? ok, it might not be that big a deal but i'll be tivo'ing it, anyway.

I think the outcome is very dependent on the rules, or how the competition is set up.

Voice recognition, no advanced knowledge (or categorization) of the topics, no external access & typical jeopardy type questions, I'd still put $ on the people.

You alter the rules sufficiently to accommodate the computer's shortcomings, & it has the potential to kick butt.

I think the outcome is very dependent on the rules, or how the competition is set up.

Voice recognition, no advanced knowledge (or categorization) of the topics, no external access & typical jeopardy type questions, I'd still put $ on the people.

You alter the rules sufficiently to accommodate the computer's shortcomings, & it has the potential to kick butt.

i don't think they're making many (if any) concessions to the computer and the normal pop culture and word play elements are still to be there.

The other option that would also be kinda fair is rather than Voice Recognition, is Optical Character Recognition, ie it reads the "answers". This would allow it to more easily (& most importantly - accurately) search its database.

Damn you. <_<

Ok, how is it receiving the answers? Does it read them off the screen? Does it listen to Trebek's voice? Or is there some other kind of input.

i'm pretty certain it's voice recognition. one of the biggest obstacles was slang and puns and trying to incorporate humor or at least have the machine recognize that concept.

They hear all. (at least I think that's how it works)

So wait, that's who they are? That whole thread was just a week long plug for jeopardy?

Anyway, I might check this out if I can figure out which station actually carries jeopardy around here. If nothing else, I'd like to see how they're actually setting up this whole thing.