Not long before football jerseys become billboards

Phlegm Alley

Read this today:

A new study by independent media shop Horizon Media reveals that sports jerseys are prime real estate for marketers. How prime? The study finds that corporate sponsorships on sports jerseys could generate more than $370 million in advertising value. So regardless of how sports fans feel, at a potential ad value of $370 million it's just a matter of time before their favorite team jerseys start looking like billboards. Not surprisingly the NFL, despite having the least amount of "detections" - or the times a brand or /sponsor can be viewed per game - and shortest season, represents nearly two-thirds of that untapped ad potential. That's driven by the NFL's large TV audience and that a majority of its games are broadcast nationally.

Fine by me. I don’t care if there is a Blue Light or Verizon patch on the Bills jerseys, as long as they don’t charge me $25 to park my car on the crumbling gravel that is the Bills lot.

I’ll take that trade all day.

I don't think it's an either/or proposition.

Maybe the Bills new uniform will be the first to do this. Perhaps the "storied history" the uniforms will incorporate is tobacco ads, hearkening back to the days of the Marlboro billboards at Rich in the 80's and 90's.

Advertising on uniforms is already done in many sports.

It's happening in the NFL too.

The Bills new unis will apparently feature an advertisement for the State of New Jersey.

I read that somewhere too.

Sell space on the unis. What's the big deal? Look around any stadium and all you see are billboards & digital billboards.

I'm still awaiting the day (and I'm sure it'll come) where a sponsor pays a player substantial money to put their logo on a tattoo placed prominently on the players arm. The No Fun League would surely put the kibosh on that one…if they haven't already through some rule they've passed that hasn't yet needed to be invoked.

"Chico's Bail Bonds"

The current roster is reminiscent of the Bad News Bears.

Fine by me. I don't care if there is a Blue Light or Verizon patch on the Bills jerseys, as long as they don't charge me $25 to park my car on the crumbling gravel that is the Bills lot.

I'll take that trade all day.

Except that it wouldn't be a trade. NFL teams don't eliminate revenue streams (except Ralph's screwball decision to not pursue naming rights for the stadium). As I said, they don't eliminate revenue streams…they only create new ones.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

This for some reason doesn't really surprise me !! With all of the stadiums announcing deals for naming rights , that's one thing that i kind of like about the old school mentality of our owner .

Although it may help generate funds for the team by selling the naming rights like they did when it was Rich Stadium . The name that us Bills fans call our home "The Ralph" has something to it , it's different from the others and i for one like it !!

I guess in this politically correct world that we live in now, along with things like Canada not playing "Money for Nothin" on the radio because of a slur in the song & having to be careful that we don't profile people just because of there radical religion & it's proven history , another part of being politically correct is realizing that everything has it's price !!!

Heck if you have enough money you can buy yourself out of a manslaughter charge, only spend 24 days in jail & play football the following season, so something as simple as selling jersey space for advertisement really shouldn't surprise us ----- should it ????