Rank our Defensive Players Against each other

Swift Sylvan

With all these let's draft him or cut and replace him threads I am curious to see who is considered our best defensive players. Obviously Kyle Williams is #1, but if you had to give #2 to someone on D who would it be? Florence, Poz, McGee?

So would you guys be so kind to rank these players from best to worst? I really would be interested to see everyone's opinions:

Williams, Stroud, Johnson, Troup, Kelsay, Moats, POZ, Ayodele, McGee, Florence, McKelvin, Donte, Byrd?

AND if you want to include IR'd players: Davis, Edwards, Merriman, Torbor

With all these let's draft him or cut and replace him threads I am curious to see who is considered our best defensive players. Obviously Kyle Williams is #1, but if you had to give #2 to someone on D who would it be? Florence, Poz, McGee?

So would you guys be so kind to rank these players from best to worst? I really would be interested to see everyone's opinions:

Williams, Stroud, Johnson, Troup, Kelsay, Moats, POZ, Ayodele, McGee, Florence, McKelvin, Donte, Byrd?

Man can't believe Kelsay is second out of that group :P (close to it though)

1. Kyle Williams

2. Everybody else

The point of this post was to give people the idea that we can criticize everyone else, but some people we're going to have to keep with us for next year. (Such as, is it a good idea to resign Pos if he's our 3rd best defensive player and we can realistically upgrade 6 spots.)

That being said, I completely agree with you. :)

From what I have seen the past few years, including this year, accounting for the downward and upward trend of older and younger players:

1-KW

2- Moats

3- George Wilson

4- Florence

5- Carrington

6- Edwards

7- Poz

Everyone else is 2nd last.

Kelsay is last.

***I left out Merriman on purpose he never played as a Bill.

From what I have seen the past few years, including this year, accounting for the downward and upward trend of older and younger players:

1-KW

2- Moats

3- George Wilson

4- Florence

5- Carrington

6- Edwards

7- Poz

Everyone else is 2nd last.

Kelsay is last.

***I left out Merriman on purpose he never played as a Bill.

I'm surprise McGee didn't make your list. Or is he hurt too much?

Top 10 best defensive players based on last year's performance, IMO:

1. Williams

2. Florence

3. Moats

4. Edwards

5. Whitner

6. Kelsay

7. Byrd

8. Poz

9. Davis

10. Ayodele

I would say that 1-4 are solid, 5-8 need to step it up or be on their way, and 9-10 are stop gap at best.

Seriously? No props to Byrd? I think he is our second best defender (however it is more so due to everyone else sucking balls instead of Jairus being that good). Its like everyone forgot he made the Pro Bowl last year as a rookie and is still very young. Although he didn't get the INT's this year he played solid, especially at the end of the year. Yes he did get burned against the run a fair amount this year but also made strong tackles as well (i.e. forced fumbles)so he was just inconsistent rather then bad and with experience he will gain that consistency. As for pass defense how many times did Byrd really get beat bad on a play? I cant recall. I dont even remember teams throwing the ball near him ever. Once a team knows you have a Pro Bowl Ballhawk back there they are not gonna throw it at him if they dont have to (which they dont because we have a terrible Run D and Pass Rush :rolleyes:)

With that being said here is my list.....

1. Williams

2. Byrd

3. Florence

4. Wilson

5. B Scott (no mention of him in this thread, dudes proven to be pretty solid)

6. Moats

7. McKelvin

8. Donte

9. McGee (if not for injuries woulda put him much higher)

10. Poz (he is really bad im being generous)

11. Carrington

12. Troup

13. Davis

14. Edwards

15. Jonhson

16. Stroud

17. Torbor

18. Ayodele

19. A piece of dog crap

20. Maybin

21. Any other person or living creature on the planet

22. A defense with only 10 players

23. Freakin Kelsay (im being generous with Kelsay too) ;)

... i too didnt add Merriman because he hasnt played yet

Edited by DUTE

1) Williams

2) Merriman ( if healthy - big IF)

3) Stroud

4) Florence

5) McGee ( If he can stay healthy)

6) Byrd

7) McKelvin

8) Whitner

9) Moats (Could move up this motley list quickly next year with a good 2nd camp!)

10) Edwards (If healthy)

11)Poz (Has to gain strength to get off blocks and learn to take better tackling angles)

12)Troup (With a good 2nd camp, could also move up the list like fellow rookie Moats)

13)Davis

14)Kelsay

15)Ayodele

16)Torbor

Edited by BillsPhan

Seriously? No props to Byrd? I think he is our second best defender (however it is more so due to everyone else sucking balls instead of Jairus being that good). Its like everyone forgot he made the Pro Bowl last year as a rookie and is still very young. Although he didn't get the INT's this year he played solid, especially at the end of the year. Yes he did get burned against the run a fair amount this year but also made strong tackles as well (i.e. forced fumbles)so he was just inconsistent rather then bad and with experience he will gain that consistency. As for pass defense how many times did Byrd really get beat bad on a play? I cant recall. I dont even remember teams throwing the ball near him ever. Once a team knows you have a Pro Bowl Ballhawk back there they are not gonna throw it at him if they dont have to (which they dont because we have a terrible Run D and Pass Rush :rolleyes:)

1. Williams

2. Byrd

3. Florence

4. Wilson

6. Moats

7. McKelvin

8. Donte

11. Carrington

12. Troup

13. Davis

14. Edwards

15. Jonhson

16. Stroud

17. Torbor

18. Ayodele

19. A piece of dog crap

20. Maybin

I don't know that I necessarily agree with your sentiment about Byrd, but your list is pretty awesome :thumbsup:

I'm surprise McGee didn't make your list. Or is he hurt too much?

If it was 2008 He would have been 1 or 2. Now I dont think he has much of anything left. B Scott would make the list before him, and I prob should have put him on there.

Edited by Thoner7

Top 10 best defensive players based on last year's performance, IMO:

1. Williams

2. Florence

3. Moats

4. Edwards

5. Whitner

6. Kelsay

7. Byrd

8. Poz

9. Davis

10. Ayodele

I would say that 1-4 are solid, 5-8 need to step it up or be on their way, and 9-10 are stop gap at best.

Moats had a better year than whitner? Explain plz. This outta be good.

When did moats get so good? I watched every game, just as most of you have, and I saw flashes of good potential. I saw him make a couple violent hits and had a few nice bursts in the pass rush. I also saw the same out of Kelsey to be honest. Sure, I think Moats will become a better LB than Kelsey ever thought of being, but I seeany of you saying he's better than whitner, Florence, poz, McGee, Mckelvin among others. I definitely can't vouch for that, looks like you guys are in La-la land hoping he turns out to be a stud.

In order of who I would keep.

Keep: Williams, Troup, Moats, Carrington, Byrd, Florence, McKelvin, Poz, McGee, Scott, Corner and Wilson

Maybe, it depends: Whitner, Johnson, Davis, Edwards, Merriman, Corto, Heard and Batten

Lose: McCargo, Maybin, Stroud, Ellison, Youboty, Ayodele, Torbor, Kelsey

1. Williams

2. Byrd

3. Florence

4. Wilson

6. Moats

7. McKelvin

8. Donte

11. Carrington

12. Troup

13. Davis

14. Edwards

15. Jonhson

16. Stroud

17. Torbor

18. Ayodele

19. A piece of dog crap

20. Maybin

100% agree with this. People discredit byrd strictly for the lack of ints. Honestly from the 2nd half of this year on it's arguable that Byrd wasn't our best overall defensive player. His tackling greatly improved, and he's gotten better in coverage. Again it's not always int's. The ints will come once we establish a pass rush. I'm not as high on Wilson as you and would Donte up to 4, but otherwise fully agree with your top 3, after that it's a matter of picking names out of a hat. I do think however if Davis is healthy he's our best all around lb for the 3-4 defense. Need to see more out of Moats. He flashed some pass rush potential and should get better in this area, with another offseason/training camp/experience in the system, his play recognition should improve as well. Pretty much think poz is a waste. Other than being a Bills draft pick, really dont see any huge difference between him and the rest of the lb's we have. Florence is our best cb. If we re-sign any of our own free agents this year it should be him and Whitner let Poz test the open market. The guy was no adequate replacement for London Fletcher, who is still a superior player, and will not be missed.