Coy Wire gets 2 more years in Atlanta

Beerball

How many players of Coy Wires ability have passed through the revolving door at One Bills Drive? They come to Buffalo full of promise and a bit under size, stay around for 2 years and then released.. Suddenly they are snatched up by some other NFL team and become full time starters... I have a feeling this will be Maybin's fate, being a first round pick someone will take a flyer on him.. We will all be reading about him scratching our heads wondering why he couldn't do that here.. Seems to be the norm around Bills country.. Anyway, best of luck to Mr. Wire!

How many players of Coy Wires ability have passed through the revolving door at One Bills Drive? They come to Buffalo full of promise and a bit under size, stay around for 2 years and then released.. Suddenly they are snatched up by some other NFL team and become full time starters... I have a feeling this will be Maybin's fate, being a first round pick someone will take a flyer on him.. We will all be reading about him scratching our heads wondering why he couldn't do that here.. Seems to be the norm around Bills country.. Anyway, best of luck to Mr. Wire!

Coy Wire started out far, far better than Aaron Maybin. As a rookie safety, Wire registered 3 sacks and 96 tackles; I'm not sure Maybin even has been in on 96 snaps so far, in two years.

Coy Wire started out far, far better than Aaron Maybin. As a rookie safety, Wire registered 3 sacks and 96 tackles; I'm not sure Maybin even has been in on 96 snaps so far, in two years.

Exactly. Wire has started on the Bills, and alot of the players we lost that got picked up were good players to begin with. Maybin will be joining Erik Flowers on the First Round Bust Train.

Edited by mattsox

Before his departure, Wire was routinely villified and mocked at TSW by our brilliant in-house personnel evaluators. The comments made about Wire, Leonhard, London Fletcher, Antoine Winfield, Peters, etc., mirror closely the comments made these days about Whitner, Poz, and Kelsay. Everyone on the Bills sucks, according to our genius fans. Yet they often go elsewhere and thrive.

ummmm i will say he had a major neck issue the year we let him go (didnt he have vertebrae fused or something big along those lines?)

hes been respectable but not great in atlanta. i think if you asked the average NFC South fan who he is, most would need some help figuring it out. i did love his work ethic and character (and i mean football even more then personal -- he never took shortcuts or plays off). i dont think hed be on this squad today based on his abilities and our needs though.

i will say that i agree about not letting talent go, but i dont think this is a prime example though

Before his departure, Wire was routinely villified and mocked at TSW by our brilliant in-house personnel evaluators. The comments made about Wire, Leonhard, London Fletcher, Antoine Winfield, Peters, etc., mirror closely the comments made these days about Whitner, Poz, and Kelsay. Everyone on the Bills sucks, according to our genius fans. Yet they often go elsewhere and thrive.

Of course, the Bills did try their "woman shopping for a husband" approach on Wire and were trying to convert him from a LB to a S and it wasn't working out all that well. Atlanta decided he is what he is and lined him up at LB and he's been a steady player ever since.

BTW, moving Kelsay to OLB is right on par with this. Maybe they should've tried to move Whitner to shutdown CB as well. 0:)

Yeah, let's not overplay how awesome Coy Wire is. I think he's a solid roleplayer, and I'd be thrilled if we still had him in a backup/special teams role. But he has 5 starts in three years since leaving Buffalo, including no sacks, no interceptions, etc. He's not why we suck. But the Bills in general seem loath to keep aging players who are still valuable contributors, clearing them out for a fresh new bunch every year.

The heat that came on Coy was for his comical inability to read a play action. Nobody doubted his tackling ability nor heart. It's on the coaches for altering his natural skill set fit for linebackers. You almost never see a successful switch of positions in the NFL, other than a few CBs to S.

Jim Leonhard. Rex Ryan made sure to bring him from Baltimore to the Jets when he took over that team. And the Jets defense seemed to be less effective this past season after he was hurt.

id argue that is a product of not physical ability but understanding rexs defense so well that he is essentially a secondary coach on the field. i think that he and bart scott just "get" that defense. in leondhards case it is much easier to be the back end help behind those strong corners and pass rushes. in buffalo a lot more would have been asked of him physically.

hes been respectable but not great in atlanta. i think if you asked the average NFC South fan who he is, most would need some help figuring it out. i did love his work ethic and character (and i mean football even more then personal -- he never took shortcuts or plays off). i dont think hed be on this squad today based on his abilities and our needs though.

Of course, the Bills did try their "woman shopping for a husband" approach on Wire and were trying to convert him from a LB to a S and it wasn't working out all that well. Atlanta decided he is what he is and lined him up at LB and he's been a steady player ever since.

Yeah, let's not overplay how awesome Coy Wire is. I think he's a solid roleplayer, and I'd be thrilled if we still had him in a backup/special teams role. But he has 5 starts in three years since leaving Buffalo, including no sacks, no interceptions, etc.

The Bills did end up moving him to LB before he left, and he probably did about as well as he's doing for Atlanta...decent but not certainly not great.

The bigger point is something that I comment on every now and then...from a fan perspective, NOBODY is good enough to be a backup on the Bills. Despite being a cheap, good team guy who never mouthed off, a VERY solid special teams player, and a "good enough" backup LB and safety (certainly more LB than safety), people around here absolutely blasted him. Harsh, over the top criticism. They couldn't wait to see hime go. I'm pretty sure I remember the thread when he was let go...it was nothing but "good riddance" type posts.

I fully get the aggravation over personnel decisions that had Coy Wire starting at safety for too long, but I'll never understand the mentality that says because someone isn't talented enought to start, they are despicable people that should be ridiculed and run out of town. Personally, I would take Wire as a special teamer and back-up LB. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a huge loss. It's just an attitude I don't get.

in a bid to put some things in perspective on this:

Coy Wire finished his tenure in Buffalo with what was feared to be a career-ending neck injury. in fact, i remember talking to him near the end of that season when he talked about how he was still experiencing difficulty feeling any sense of touch in his hands aside from a tingling sensation.

that he continues to play -- and has not sustained serious, permanent damage -- is regarded as a bit of a minor miracle.

jw

The Bills did end up moving him to LB before he left, and he probably did about as well as he's doing for Atlanta...decent but not certainly not great.

The bigger point is something that I comment on every now and then...from a fan perspective, NOBODY is good enough to be a backup on the Bills. Despite being a cheap, good team guy who never mouthed off, a VERY solid special teams player, and a "good enough" backup LB and safety (certainly more LB than safety), people around here absolutely blasted him. Harsh, over the top criticism. They couldn't wait to see hime go. I'm pretty sure I remember the thread when he was let go...it was nothing but "good riddance" type posts.

I fully get the aggravation over personnel decisions that had Coy Wire starting at safety for too long, but I'll never understand the mentality that says because someone isn't talented enought to start, they are despicable people that should be ridiculed and run out of town. Personally, I would take Wire as a special teamer and back-up LB. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a huge loss. It's just an attitude I don't get.

especially with a player like wire, i didnt get it. at the time you could argue he was as good a backup LB as anyone we had or planned on bringing in, but a better special teamer then anyone that would be replacing him at LB.

I think part of the team being willing to part ways was a worry about his neck injury - if i remember correct he failed physicals before being released/reaching an injury settlement or whatever it was at that point in the offseason. to be totally speculative, i wouldnt be surprised if the neck injury on the heels of the kevin everett incident made the trainers and management a little more hesitant to invest in him. a special teams demon like coy takes weird hits and with disc issues, i think everyone was a little concerned he would end up hurt badly if he continued.

Wire is a backup LB and a special teams player for Atlanta. A useful part of their team, no doubt, but not exactly a guy capable of giving us above-average LB play for an extended period. That said, I agree that there were those who allowed their displeasure at Wire the SS to influence their opinion of Wire the LB.

I don't recall very many posters making negative comments about Winfield. I think the general consensus with him was that he was a shutdown corner and a very good tackler, even if his hands were made of stone.

The Bills have made a lot of bad personnel decisions over the years. None of their actions were due to what the fickle fans/bloggers think. The idea that the fans drove out any player is not only absurd, it is comical.

You noted that Fletcher, Winfield and Peters were vilified by the fans. I don't know how you come to that conclusion. Winfield and Fletcher were very respected players. The truth of the matter is that all three of these players were let go for contract reasons by an organization very conscious of its finances.

Edited by JohnC

I'm not raggin on Coy Wire, good for him that he got re-signed but I don't think he's a good example of what you are talking about considering he doesn't even start on their defense. Jim Leonard is a better example.