You can't make this stuff up, folks

JÂy RÛßeÒ

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110208/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_popular_mayor_unpopular_name

FORT WAYNE, Ind. – A former Indiana mayor who won four terms in the 1930s and 1950s is proving less popular with modern-day city leaders, who say they probably won't name a new government center for him because of the jokes his moniker could inspire.

Harry Baals is the runaway favorite in online voting to name the new building in Fort Wayne, about 120 miles northeast of Indianapolis. But Deputy Mayor Beth Malloy said that probably won't be enough to put the name of the city's longest-tenured mayor on the center.

The issue is pronunciation. The former mayor pronounced his last name "balls." His descendants have since changed it to "bales."

Supporters said it's unfair that the former mayor can't be recognized simply because his name makes some people snicker. But opponents fear that naming the center after Baals would make Fort Wayne the target of late-night television jokes.

Look st the great jokes surfacing in this thread. Perhaps the current city officials are correct. It is a no win situation for them.

The name is not unlike a poor guy that I knew - his name was literally - Harry Dick. What parent would do that to a child?

Hoo boy, get ready for all the nut jokes...

there really is nuttin much you can add.

Look st the great jokes surfacing in this thread. Perhaps the current city officials are correct. It is a no win situation for them.

The name is not unlike a poor guy that I knew - his name was literally - Harry Dick. What parent would do that to a child?

me

Before I was read the thread... I was thinking: Richard Head. You know: The Dick Head Center.

Like I said... I will be here all week... Try the veal!

Or they could get a sense of humor, name it the Harry Baals center, and build a 150-foot obelisk next to it.

Anbody for the Richard Head Annex?

:bag:

What about this:

http://dickliquor.com/

I forget the town in MA that has the one called Bunghole Liqours.

Just looked it up, that would be Peabody and Salem, MA

So you feel that the city officials made the correct decision? I disagree 110%, political correctness has run amok. Those city officials have no baals.

ouch