Fans sue NFL/Dallas over superbowl tix

BillsRUs

It's no big issue. Those people were well compensated and they are stupid for spending so much on a SB trip in the first place.

They were reimbursed about $2400 (triple the amount of the cost of the ticket), which I'd assume is the NFL's attempt to cover travel & hotel expenses. That's a lot of dough, but it adds up quick.

They were reimbursed about $2400 (triple the amount of the cost of the ticket), which I'd assume is the NFL's attempt to cover travel & hotel expenses. That's a lot of dough, but it adds up quick.

you and the NFL are also assuming the fans got the tickets at the box office and not from a scalper.

I think that when the NFL offered ANY future Superbowl plus trip expenses, I would have been pacified.

I think it is obvious the NFL wants to make it right.

If they are anywhere near the stadium a hotel is 300 a night, flights probably close to 1000 round trip, any rental cars etc are big $$. And that doesn't begin to address the people that bought on stubhub for $2500 a ticket cheap seats like these.

As someone that tried to plan a SB trip on 2 weeks notice last year, let me remind you the costs are huge.

Plus it's your vacation and you get to find out gameday and stand in lines for hours to watch on tv after all the hassle of planning the trip? Thy should've just said heres a cool 8-10k if you sign that you won't sue or speak to the press.

If they are anywhere near the stadium a hotel is 300 a night, flights probably close to 1000 round trip, any rental cars etc are big $$. And that doesn't begin to address the people that bought on stubhub for $2500 a ticket cheap seats like these.

As someone that tried to plan a SB trip on 2 weeks notice last year, let me remind you the costs are huge.

Plus it's your vacation and you get to find out gameday and stand in lines for hours to watch on tv after all the hassle of planning the trip? Thy should've just said heres a cool 8-10k if you sign that you won't sue or speak to the press.

Story up on ESPN right now about a Steelers fan who had to watch in a sports bar in the basement of the stadium. He paid around $4k for everything.

Edit for link: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/24526/page/espntexas/a-steeler-fan%E2%80%99s-awful-super-bowl-experience

Edited by LeviF91

According to the story, 1,000 fans sue for $5,000,000. Assume it gets reduced to $2 million. The attorneys get 40% and you get 60% divided by 1,000 tickets, thats $1200, half of what the NFL is currently offering. Lets hear it for lawyers :wallbash:

It's no big issue. Those people were well compensated and they are stupid for spending so much on a SB trip in the first place.

If the League had called these people a few days before the game and said "we have reason to believe that the seats you purchased for the SB will not be available due to a decision by the fire marshall. We apologize for this and we wish to compensate you in the following way. Many if not most of you will be moved to other seating (including field level club) or standing room areas. We will pay you triple ($2400) the face value of your ticket, we will give you a free ticket to next year's SB, we will allow you unprecedented access to the field after the game, we will comp you food and drinks and we will provide free NFL merchandise on site..."

How many do you think would have said "forget it, I'll stay home"?

No, I don't believe two people buying nosebleed seats had to pay $10,000 for a few nights and a SB in Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Good, I hope they win a million dollars each and the NFL gets a big black eye in the process.

Why the !@#$ would they need 'temporary seating' in a stadium that holds 100,000 in the first place? And then they can't be bothered to actually get the work done on time? Absolutely inexcusable to screw these people over that way.

And I'd love to hear some of you justify the 'compensation' if it was you missing a Bills SB victory for no other reason than incompetence and greed by the NFL.

Story up on ESPN right now about a Steelers fan who had to watch in a sports bar in the basement of the stadium. He paid around $4k for everything.

Edit for link: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/24526/page/espntexas/a-steeler-fan%E2%80%99s-awful-super-bowl-experience

After reading that story there is no question in my mind that those folks are entitled to much more than they are being offered right now. It is clear that it was a chaotic scene at the stadium and Jerrah and the NFL crew were ill equipped to handle the game day details, especially in light of his egotistical attempt to cram any body within a five mile radius into the stadium to set his precious attendance record. And I hate personal injury lawyers as much as anyone, but their compensation should BEGIN with reimbursement of every dime of their trip, and then throw the goodies on top of that. Imagine if the Bills were in the game and that was you going through what that guy and his brother went through. I know I would be beyond p**sed. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar organization and can well afford to do the right thing here.

If the League had called these people a few days before the game and said "we have reason to believe that the seats you purchased for the SB will not be available due to a decision by the fire marshall. We apologize for this and we wish to compensate you in the following way. Many if not most of you will be moved to other seating (including field level club) or standing room areas. We will pay you triple ($2400) the face value of your ticket, we will give you a free ticket to next year's SB, we will allow you unprecedented access to the field after the game, we will comp you food and drinks and we will provide free NFL merchandise on site..."

No, I don't believe two people buying nosebleed seats had to pay $10,000 for a few nights and a SB in Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Let's say a couple from Pittsburgh decided to go stubhub after not winning the lotto for tix.....

Two tix in that section 4-5000

Two flights last minute 2000

Hotel, 3-4 nights (common min) 1000+

food, cabs, time off work....

Adds up quick. Of course if you win the lotto, have family nearby, it can be much cheaper.

[

Edited by NoSaint

Good, I hope they win a million dollars each and the NFL gets a big black eye in the process.

Why the !@#$ would they need 'temporary seating' in a stadium that holds 100,000 in the first place? And then they can't be bothered to actually get the work done on time? Absolutely inexcusable to screw these people over that way.

And I'd love to hear some of you justify the 'compensation' if it was you missing a Bills SB victory for no other reason than incompetence and greed by the NFL.

Exactly i think this is a bigger deal than the NFL will admit. This is the ultimate expierence. A chance to watch your Favorite Team in the Super Bowl live. You spare no expense, take time off and then you get there and the seat you paid thousands for isn't ready? They have had a month to prepare for this, a month. People get fired for screw ups much less than this. The NFL should be ashamed and be in for a long battle. I bet this gets ugly real quick

Exactly i think this is a bigger deal than the NFL will admit. This is the ultimate expierence. A chance to watch your Favorite Team in the Super Bowl live. You spare no expense, take time off and then you get there and the seat you paid thousands for isn't ready? They have had a month to prepare for this, a month. People get fired for screw ups much less than this. The NFL should be ashamed and be in for a long battle. I bet this gets ugly real quick

Yup. For most people who paid their own way, a Super Bowl is a lifetime highlight. And unlike that trip to Hawaii, this is for something these people have cared passionately about their entire lives. Honestly, put yourself in that situation for a second: you pull the trigger on a trip the SB, invest all the time, money and emotion, you're all jacked up as you get to the stadium, and..........they tell you to get lost! That is driving cross-country only to find Walley World closed times ten.

As for stadium prep, they had a month for construction, but two years for planning. Every detail should have been accounted for long before the regular season ended. The fire marshall should have been inspecting those seats weeks ago.

+100 KD!

I realize this is unrelated, but did anyone catch the Troy Aikman segment on this month's "HBO Inside Sports"? It was actually a pretty interesting interview...while they were talking more about the impending CBA negotions/lockout, Aikman said something that really made me think. He was referring to the absolute greed that he predicts will be the downfall of the NFL. It was surprising to hear someone who makes a great living off the NFL, be so candid. While he didn't refer to Goodell, I got the sense that he is not a big fan...I have always been conflicted between my love and the NFL, and my contempt for the way they have always treated fans. I realize, that is part of what has kept them so popular, but it is a turn-off. This whole thing is the most pure example of the NFL screwing over the very people who make it what it is.

Why the !@#$ would they need 'temporary seating' in a stadium that holds 100,000 in the first place?

Let's imagine they had an owner who cared about setting the SuperBowl attendance record.

but they didn't do that did they? that option wasn't given. if i was in that situation (and could get the costs already put forth to the trip cancelled or refunded), i'd have stayed home.

You make an awesome point bro. If I was screwed like that and the Bills won the Super Bowl, all I can say is watch out Jerry, I'm gonna beat you like a red headed step child.

According to the story, 1,000 fans sue for $5,000,000. Assume it gets reduced to $2 million. The attorneys get 40% and you get 60% divided by 1,000 tickets, thats $1200, half of what the NFL is currently offering. Lets hear it for lawyers :wallbash:

For a group as big as that, the lawyers would get a bit less than 40%, but your point isn't without merit. It's very possible that these fans end up getting less than what they could sell a future super bowl ticket for, much less that plus $2400.

For a group as big as that, the lawyers would get a bit less than 40%, but your point isn't without merit. It's very possible that these fans end up getting less than what they could sell a future super bowl ticket for, much less that plus $2400.

They can only sell next seasons ticket, if they choose the future game package then they have to use it themselves.

This is complete BS, if I had spent all the money and time that these people had put into going to the Super Bowl only to find out they didn't have my seat I would have lost it. THEY KNEW FOR MONTHS HOW MANY SEATS THEY SOLD!!!!!!!! How is this point lost on some of you, the NFL willfully committed fraud on over 400 people. I hope the Dallas court hit's them with the 3x's multiplier on this case and the plaintiffs end up with 15 million to split.