(OT) Get ready for a cold winter

Like A Mofo

Cold Winter

12/13/2004

The outlook for this National Hockey League season has never been more bleak than it is today.

TSN has obtained a copy of a confidential eight-page memorandum sent by the NHL to all 30 member clubs, outlining the league's reaction to the NHL Players' Association proposal of last week and clearly stating the NHL's intention to reject the proposal and counter with one of its own.

"In sum, we believe the Union's December 9 CBA proposal, while offering necessary and significant short-term financial relief, falls well short of providing the fundamental systemic changes that are required to ensure that overall League economics remain in synch on a going-forward basis," NHL executive vice president Bill Daly wrote in the Dec. 12 memo which went to all governors and alternative governors, including many NHL general managers. "While the immediate 'rollback' of 24 per cent offered by the Union would materially improve League economics for the 2004-05 season, there is virtually nothing in the Union's proposal that would prevent the dollars 'saved' from being re-directed right back into the player compensation system, such that the League's overall financial losses would approach current levels in only a matter of a couple of years."

The memo reiterated NHL commissioner Gary Bettman's intention to provide a counter-proposal to the NHLPA at a 1 p.m. meeting on Tuesday in Toronto. The memo said the counter proposal "will be an appropriate response to the Union's offer and will ensure the League's future stability and long-term health."

I don't understand why the NHLPA has such a hard time accepting a cap? Why don't they just concentrate on negotiating an attractive cap....say $25 million per team or so...instead of wasting their time with short term solutions? These players are employees for godssake. My employer has "capped" my position's salary at about $70K whether I like it or not?!? If the players are bothered so much by a cap system then they should try to start their own league. Really, deep down inside I think about 70% of the NHL players would be happy to play for $500K or so. That's great money for guys that have no other skills and for a sport that has minimal nationwide interest and TV revenue.

I don't understand why the NHLPA has such a hard time accepting a cap?  Why don't they just concentrate on negotiating an attractive cap....say $25 million per team or so...instead of wasting their time with short term solutions?  These players are employees for godssake.  My employer has "capped" my position's salary at about $70K whether I like it or not?!?  If the players are bothered so much by a cap system then they should try to start their own league.  Really, deep down inside I think about 70% of the NHL players would be happy to play for $500K or so.  That's great money for guys that have no other skills and for a sport that has minimal nationwide interest and TV revenue.

158749[/snapback]

Possibly because most NHL players are high school graduates (barely) who've been 'special' their entire lives and have no idea what they're talking about. They think they should be paid like athletes who play sports that people across the nation actually watch and play on teams that actually make a profit each season.

Bring on the replacement players.

Possibly because most NHL players are high school graduates (barely) who've been 'special' their entire lives and have no idea what they're talking about.  They think they should be paid like athletes who play sports that people across the nation actually watch and play on teams that actually make a profit each season.

Bring on the replacement players.

158752[/snapback]

Not that at all. Goodenow is a old school union guy. Very stuborn and will never give a inch. Thats why this particular disbute is armageddon as he will could never accept a cap system. I really hope (in a way)that the season gets canned and some of the weak sisters are weeded out. It will improve the overall quality and stability of the league. I guess it will mean no sports for me this winter though. I can't watch the NBA without wanting to scratch my eyes out. Oh well. Maybe get more into web site buidling until next seaons NFL and hopefully NHL.

It was a ploy by the NHLPA to turn the fans against the owners and not the players. They are saying "We gave back 24%" and the owners want more" Goodnow is trying to make it such that the owners are greedy.

Unfortunately, financially weak teams would not just fold, as the "brand name" has value, so those owners would want some compensation to go away quietly.

I don't understand why the NHLPA has such a hard time accepting a cap?  Why don't they just concentrate on negotiating an attractive cap....say $25 million per team or so...instead of wasting their time with short term solutions?  These players are employees for godssake.  My employer has "capped" my position's salary at about $70K whether I like it or not?!?  If the players are bothered so much by a cap system then they should try to start their own league.  Really, deep down inside I think about 70% of the NHL players would be happy to play for $500K or so.  That's great money for guys that have no other skills and for a sport that has minimal nationwide interest and TV revenue.

158749[/snapback]

Because they probably think this league should still be like the other majors, when they really have to realize what makes leagues like the NFL so manageable with caps and money is television and direct tv and thats it. TV makes the sports world go round, Case closed. NHL does not generate the revenue from TV. thus a cap is needed.