Russia set to breach lake

Beerball

I was watching NOVA last night on PBS while high on cough medicine and all this other crap I have to take, I fell asleep during part of the show but remember them saying they found an amazing animal called a Sea Bear. I did some googling and found out what it is...and it seems amazing.

Tardigrade

- tardigrades can survive being heated for a few minutes to 151 °C (424 K),[citation needed] or being chilled for days at -200 °C (73 K),[citation needed] or for a few minutes at -272 °C (~1 degree above absolute zero).

- they can withstand the extremely low pressure of a vacuum and also very high pressures, more than 1,200 times atmospheric pressure. It has recently been demonstrated that tardigrades can survive the vacuum of open space and solar radiation combined for at least 10 days.[8] Recent research has revealed that they can also withstand pressure of 6,000 atmospheres, which is nearly six times the pressure of water in the deepest ocean trench.

- tardigrades have been shown to survive nearly 10 years in a dry state.[16] When encountered by extremely low temperatures, their body composition goes from 85% water to only 3%. As water expands upon freezing, dehydration ensures the tardigrades do not get ripped apart by the freezing ice (as waterless tissues cannot freeze).

- tardigrades can withstand median lethal doses of 5,000 Gy (gamma-rays) and 6,200 Gy (heavy ions) in hydrated animals (5 to 10 Gy could be fatal to a human).[18] The only explanation thus far for this ability is that their lowered water state provides fewer reactants for the ionizing radiation.[citation needed] In September 2007, a space launch (Foton-M3) showed that tardigrades can survive the extreme environment of outer space for 10 days. After being rehydrated back on Earth, over 68% of the subjects protected from high-energy UV radiation survived and many of these produced viable embryos, and a handful survived full exposure to solar radiation.

Just a thought...if this thing can survive in those conditions and/or this and more other forms are found in the bottom of this lake, will it all but prove that there is life outside of Earth?

Al Gore would be very mad if I Googled it for you! Between 1942 and the early 1990's (when it was recovered piece by piece)... It seems that over 33 stories of ice (268') had formed over the planes! Wait a second, I though the earth was getting warmer and Greenlnad melting away...

Here you go anyway! ;-p

Thanks to you and Beerball, I did google it but usually like to see if there are better links to the information. For all I know maybe someone is a big history buff on the whole thing.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching NOVA last night on PBS while high on cough medicine and all this other crap I have to take, I fell asleep during part of the show but remember them saying they found an amazing animal called a Sea Bear. I did some googling and found out what it is...and it seems amazing.

Tardigrade

- tardigrades can survive being heated for a few minutes to 151 °C (424 K),[citation needed] or being chilled for days at -200 °C (73 K),[citation needed] or for a few minutes at -272 °C (~1 degree above absolute zero).

- they can withstand the extremely low pressure of a vacuum and also very high pressures, more than 1,200 times atmospheric pressure. It has recently been demonstrated that tardigrades can survive the vacuum of open space and solar radiation combined for at least 10 days.[8] Recent research has revealed that they can also withstand pressure of 6,000 atmospheres, which is nearly six times the pressure of water in the deepest ocean trench.

- tardigrades have been shown to survive nearly 10 years in a dry state.[16] When encountered by extremely low temperatures, their body composition goes from 85% water to only 3%. As water expands upon freezing, dehydration ensures the tardigrades do not get ripped apart by the freezing ice (as waterless tissues cannot freeze).

- tardigrades can withstand median lethal doses of 5,000 Gy (gamma-rays) and 6,200 Gy (heavy ions) in hydrated animals (5 to 10 Gy could be fatal to a human).[18] The only explanation thus far for this ability is that their lowered water state provides fewer reactants for the ionizing radiation.[citation needed] In September 2007, a space launch (Foton-M3) showed that tardigrades can survive the extreme environment of outer space for 10 days. After being rehydrated back on Earth, over 68% of the subjects protected from high-energy UV radiation survived and many of these produced viable embryos, and a handful survived full exposure to solar radiation.

Just a thought...if this thing can survive in those conditions and/or this and more other forms are found in the bottom of this lake, will it all but prove that there is life outside of Earth?

Important point: "tardigrade" is not "one thing", it's a family of things. That is, while tardigrades may as a family survive those extremes in temperatures, that does not mean that there's one single type of tardigrade that does.

Important point: "tardigrade" is not "one thing", it's a family of things. That is, while tardigrades may as a family survive those extremes in temperatures, that does not mean that there's one single type of tardigrade that does.

Do they ride the short bus?

So did they make it? The article says they had to finish by the 6th.

And is this where the mysterious virus that wipes out 90% of man comes from like we see in all those end of the world movies?

"12 Monkeys" = Your life

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bump... About the whole kerosene debate in this thread. The last couple of weeks I have been working outside and of course with kerosene heaters. I never realized how "clean" kerosene was. From the NFPA 704 "fire diamond."

Out of 4, 0 being the lowest (danger) and 4 being the highest.

Health is a 1.

Flamability is only a 2.

And reactivity is a 0.

There is no special note in the special white diamond portion.

I wonder if when boring the hole in the ice... They just burn it off?

Do they ride the short bus?

Everyone knows that the Third Grade is the hardest.

Toughest six years of my life.

Once I got past that, I had it knocked. :ph34r:

• 11 months later...

The ultimate time capsule. Should be very interesting what they find

This is not good, this is not good at all. Someone needs to warn them. Do not !@#$ with Cthulhu or the Elder Ones. I fear what abhorrent beings they may gave unleashed on this world. :(

The scientists came up with a clever way to make sure the water would not be contaminated: They agreed to drill until a sensor warned them of free water. At that point they took out the kerosene and adjusted the pressure so that none of the liquids would fall into the lake, but rather lake water would rise through the hole due to pressure from below.

FYI