Team Base Defenses

Astrobot

Gene at DraftTek posted this list of team defenses recently, and it might help people see the AFC as more predominantly 3-4, and NFC more 4-3. But there is wonderful 4-3 talent in the upcoming draft, so I'm glad Wanny is on board.

AFC East:

Miami: 3-4

New England: 3-4/4-3 Hybrid BB likes to run, base is 3-4 though.

NY Jets: 3-4

Buffalo: Hybrid 3-4/4-3 with more 3-4 looks.

AFC North:

Steelers: 3-4

Browns: Making the move to a 4-3. Should be interesting, David Bowens, Robaire Smith, and Matt Roth have 4-3 experience but they are either old, ineffective, or a free agent. Same with Eric Barton, Scott Fujita, and Chris Gocong at OLB.

Bengals: 4-3

Ravens: 3-4/4-3 hybrid, base is 3-4

AFC West:

Raiders: ????? Have heard rumors of switch to 3-4 but up in the air til there is an actual DC [there is now]

Broncos: 3-4/4-3 Hybrid. John Fox has said they will play both but the base will remain 3-4 for the short term and 4-3 in the long haul.

Chiefs: 3-4

Chargers: 3-4

AFC South:

Colts: 4-3

Jaguars: 4-3

Texans: 3-4

Titans: ????? No coaching staff. Gut says they stick with 4-3

NFC South:

Falcons: 4-3

Saints: 4-3

Panthers: 4-3

Bucs: 4-3

NFC West:

49ers: 3-4

Cardinals: 3-4 (bet they will be sticking with 3-4)

Seahawks: 4-3

Rams: 4-3

NFC North:

Packers: 3-4

Bears: 4-3

Lions: 4-3

Vikings: 4-3

NFC East:

Eagles: 4-3 Don't know where the rumblings about 3-4 are coming from, I haven't heard anything about that. Andy Reid is adamant about sticking to the 4-3 and they won't be switching from it as long as he's there.

Redskins: 3-4 Still need personnel for it but they will keep trying to collect it and make it work.

Giants: 4-3

Cowboys: 3-4 Switching philosophy though. Rob Ryan's 3-4 different style/scheme than Wade's. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ratliff kick out to DE and draft some new blood at NT [Phil Taylor from Baylor in RD2?]

34 all the way, from my highschool days I always wanted someone headup on the center to make it harder to snap and be able to shove em in the back field. Plus 34 zone allows you to use ok talent on the Defense and spend money on offense, like Pats, Ravens, Steelers and Jets who have one star in the secondary and one or two LBs and and a good nose and you are all set.

The 4-3 and 3-4 trend flopping back and forth is one of my favorite things to watch. In 3 or 4 years the trend will be back to the 4-3 and we'll have mastered the 3-4.

In the mean time, I never understand why a team can't just make a really good defense, develop it to succeed, and stick with it.

The 4-3 and 3-4 trend flopping back and forth is one of my favorite things to watch. In 3 or 4 years the trend will be back to the 4-3 and we'll have mastered the 3-4.

In the mean time, I never understand why a team can't just make a really good defense, develop it to succeed, and stick with it.

If the Bills have mastered the 3-4 it won't make a difference what the trends are. I just hope that whatever they do, they're good at it.

Also, you play to an extent what the talent demands you play. If you had Ted Washington and Pat Williams, would you not try to get them on the field at the same time? Yes, you would.

If the Bills have mastered the 3-4 it won't make a difference what the trends are. I just hope that whatever they do, they're good at it.

Also, you play to an extent what the talent demands you play. If you had Ted Washington and Pat Williams, would you not try to get them on the field at the same time? Yes, you would.

Which is why I cannot wait to see Kyle Williams next year. I am as much a football fan as anything and I am curious how his success will workout next year.

Edited by jboyst62

Which is why I cannot wait to see Kyle Williams next year. I am as much a football fan as anything and I am curious how his success will workout next year.

This is why I think it is a mistake to go to the 3-4. I think Kyle Williams is a very good 4-3 DT. I don't think he will be a very good 3-4 NT. I don't think he will take double and triple teams, occupy space and free the LBs.

Edited by Scraps

..AFC South:

Colts: 4-3

Jaguars: 4-3

Texans: 3-4

Titans: ????? No coaching staff. Gut says they stick with 4-3...

Titans hired Wade Philips. They will be a 34 defense.

GO BILLS!!!

This is why I think it is a mistake to go to the 3-4. I think Kyle Williams is a very good 4-3 DT. I don't think he will be a very good 3-4 NT. I don't think he will take double and triple teams, occupy space and free the LBs.

I can count on both hands the number of times KW wasn't double-teamed this year. He more than held up his end of the bargain as a 1-gap NT in the 34 defense. He was simply one of the best NTs in the game last season and he routinely occupied multiple blockers. The Bills' D would be better served by DEs that can hold the POA.

This idea that an LB must always be untouched and in pristine position to always make a tackle is getting old. All LBs need to be able to shed blocks more often than not. Period. Ours are just not very good at it.

GO BILLS!!!

I've always been a 4-3 guy, but I have to admit that the 3-4 seems to have a tactical edge in the modern NFL. All of the best defenses are 3-4s: Pitt, GB, NYJ, Balt. The only possible exception may be Chicago (and with all the talent they have on D they should really be doing better, IMO). And while it's true that last year's SB teams both played a 4-3, those teams weren't in there because of their defenses.

I can count on both hands the number of times KW wasn't double-teamed this year. He more than held up his end of the bargain as a 1-gap NT in the 34 defense. He was simply one of the best NTs in the game last season and he routinely occupied multiple blockers. The Bills' D would be better served by DEs that can hold the POA.

This idea that an LB must always be untouched and in pristine position to always make a tackle is getting old. All LBs need to be able to shed blocks more often than not. Period. Ours are just not very good at it.

I completely, and respectfully, disagree.

Next year more teams will double team KW and I am concerned of his effectiveness due to that. He had a break out season in 2010 and did very well considering the circumstances. Looking back at 2008 and 2009 Stroud commanded double coverages almost every snap, and looking at Pat Williams and Ted Williams things were very similar. They were able to control the LOS freeing the LB's up to make plays. In a 3-4 defense the tackles should be made at the LOS by the LB's and not the DL, the sacks will come as much from the OLB's as the DE's. A NT getting all of the sacks is insane and is counter productive, that is why se signed Heard and Troup. Heard is a middle swallowing 355 lbs.

KW at a 4-3 DT is something I worry about, as well. The responsibilities of a 4-3 DT and a 3-4 NT are night and day. My concern is how we will use what DL we have before worrying about the LB's. Our LB corp suffers because of our D front, that is not something that anyone can deny.