Assumming the Bills took a QB at #3

CosmicBills

32 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Would You Tolerate Letting Newton or Gabbert Learn from the Sidelines?

• Open Competition in Training Camp
    • Until the Bills are mathmatically eliminated from post season contention
    • One full season
    • Two full seasons
    • Two seaosns +

The purpose of this thread is not to debate whether or not the Bills SHOULD take a QB with the third pick in the draft -- that has already been done to death. It's also premature to have that debate until all the pro days and combine numbers results come in.

However, I'm curious as to the patience level of the fans here in the event a QB is taken that high. Let's, for the sake of this discussion, assume the Bills take either Gabbert or Newton at 3. Those two seem to be the most likely candidates at that spot if the Bills do decide to take a signal caller. How long would you as a fan, regardless of whether or not you agree with the decision, be willing to give either QB before demanding they see the field?

What do these high first round QB picks all have in common?

P Manning

M Ryan

E Manning

C Palmer

S Bradford

M Sanchez

J Flacco

B Rothlesberger

M Stafford

A: They were all starters from day 1. Most of the rest of the league's top QB (Brees, Brady, Vick, etc) were also ready from day 1 and only briefly waited for an established vet to get out of the way.

You don't spend a #3 pick on any player that has to sit on the bench and "learn" how to play his position.

P Manning

M Ryan

E Manning

C Palmer

S Bradford

M Sanchez

J Flacco

B Rothlesberger

M Stafford

A: They were all starters from day 1. Most of the rest of the league's top QB (Brees, Brady, Vick, etc) were also ready from day 1 and only briefly waited for an established vet to get out of the way.

You don't spend a #3 pick on any player that has to sit on the bench and "learn" how to play his position.

But it's fair to say that each of those QBs came from pro style offenses (at least I think?) whereas Gabbert and Newton -- like Rodgers -- did not. And since it is the most complicated position on the field to learn, wouldn't you at least consider giving them more time than another position taken that high?

(Again, not taking sides here, just digging a bit deeper into your answers)

All you need to do to answer this good question is look at Green Bay's QB. He sat and he sat, but last year they came close and this year they are in the SB.

It would be nice to get a Bradford, but since Luck isn't in this year's draft, I'd be happy to have Newton or Gabbert sit and learn

for 2-3 years. Even a Bradford isn't going to take Buffalo anywhere next year, so what's the problem? Get the damn quarterback while you have the third pick.

P Manning

M Ryan

E Manning

C Palmer

S Bradford

M Sanchez

J Flacco

B Rothlesberger

M Stafford

+1

I'm tired of seeing first round projects!

But it's fair to say that each of those QBs came from pro style offenses (at least I think?) whereas Gabbert and Newton -- like Rodgers -- did not. And since it is the most complicated position on the field to learn, wouldn't you at least consider giving them more time than another position taken that high?

(Again, not taking sides here, just digging a bit deeper into your answers)

Nope. I can take a project QB that needs to learn how to play pro football in round 6. At #3 I need a football player that can step on the field and make an impact immediately.

Amazing to me that some people are content to basically postpone our 2011 first round pick to 2013 -- and hope that a guy who isn't ready to play pro football will magically become a star by sitting on the bench. I guess these are the same people banking on a 'breakout' season from Maybin in 2014. Do none of you notice that the drafting for 'potential' has been an unmitigated disaster over the past ten years?

P Manning

M Ryan

E Manning

C Palmer

S Bradford

M Sanchez

J Flacco

B Rothlesberger

M Stafford

yeah #3 is way too high for a projet

those players belong in the 8-12 range of the 1st round

the Bills have mastered identifying the "project" player

Buddy himself is 2 for 2 for Maybin and Spiller

P Manning

M Ryan

E Manning

C Palmer

S Bradford

M Sanchez

J Flacco

B Rothlesberger

M Stafford

I agree with you, but let's not revise history.

Eli Manning sat the 1st 9 games of his rookie year behind Kurt Warner. With the Giants 5-4, Coughlin made the switch to Manning.

Carson Palmer sat out his entire rookie year. Jon Kitna played every down. Palmer wasn't even put in to mop up in the 4th quarter.

P Manning

M Ryan

E Manning

C Palmer

S Bradford

M Sanchez

J Flacco

B Rothlesberger

M Stafford

All the bold sucked their first year... So what you sayin? I mean if you want go head throw him in he may or may not do good but with any QB you just don't know until you give them time to play... Flacco was avg if not for that Def he wouldn't have been that great...And Brees was bad LOL come on thats common knowledge he didn't get good until they drafted Rivers what his 3rd year. Come Harder *PAUSE* than that... A-Rod sat, TECHNICALLY Brady sat, Bradshaw sucked his first year and so did Aikman.

Edited by ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23

yeah #3 is way too high for a projet

those players belong in the 8-12 range of the 1st round

the Bills have mastered identifying the "project" player

Buddy himself is 2 for 2 for Maybin and Spiller

To be fair, I don't think anyone at OBD thought Spiller was going to be a project. And if they did, and took him anyway, then there's really no hope for this current regime. RBs have the shortest learning curve of all NFL positions. The transition is fairly easy and quick for RBs ...

But this isn't about RBs -- it's about QBs. So far the results are interesting! Keep 'em coming.

The purpose of this thread is not to debate whether or not the Bills SHOULD take a QB with the third pick in the draft -- that has already been done to death. It's also premature to have that debate until all the pro days and combine numbers results come in.

However, I'm curious as to the patience level of the fans here in the event a QB is taken that high. Let's, for the sake of this discussion, assume the Bills take either Gabbert or Newton at 3. Those two seem to be the most likely candidates at that spot if the Bills do decide to take a signal caller. How long would you as a fan, regardless of whether or not you agree with the decision, be willing to give either QB before demanding they see the field?

10 years if it's Mallett.