Best 3-4 Defensive Ends

Rockinon

I am of the belief that the Bill's should draft Von Miller #3 overall because in my own opinion he presents the best chance of becoming a real impact at a serious position of need. However, I also think that a major need is at the 3-4 DE position. What this thread is about is which DE is right for the Buffalo Bills. Your job is either to convince me that another football player is a better pick at #3 and why, Or you can tell us which DE you like in the second round and why. We will then do some research on the players and post the results here. If you are of the opinion that a DB or QB or DT is the right move for the first 2 picks, this thread probably isn't for you(not that those picks are not important. I just am trying to narrow down this particular scenario).

Also, if you do like DE in the first round, tell us who you like for OLB in the second. I want to focus on DEs and OLBs to keep the research to a minimum.

I'll start off with the 5 best 3-4 DEs(according to Walterfootball.com)

# Nick Fairley, DE/DT, Auburn

Height: 6-4. Weight: 299.

Projected 40 Time: 4.95.

Combine 40 Time: .

Pro Day 40 Time: .

Benchx225: . Vertical: .

Projected Round (2011): Top 2 Pick.

1/26/11: Write-ups for these rankings will be added later; there were "personnel complications" on the site, which is why these rankings haven't been updated in a while.

10/8/10: Fairley has really stepped up his game this season. He's been very active around the ball and doing a great job of shooting gaps and getting penetration. We love his quickness and athleticism, but he could do a better job with his hands and getting off blocks. Hopefully he continues to improve as the year goes on.

# Marcell Dareus, DE/DT, Alabama

Height: 6-3. Weight: 306.

Projected 40 Time: 4.90.

Projected Round (2011): Top 10 Pick.

10/8/10: Dareus has been a beast this year for Alabama. His power, strength, tenacity and athleticism are all prototypical to play 5-technique in the NFL. Because of his versatility, you can lock him into the top five picks.

5/8/10: Marcell Dareus can play for any defense, but is better suited for the 3-4. As a mere sophomore, Dareus notched 6.5 sacks in only four starts (Nick Saban habitually doesn't play his young guys over his veterans). Dareus will start in 2010 and is expected to reach double-digit sacks.

# Cameron Jordan, DE/DT, California

Height: 6-4. Weight: 287.

Projected 40 Time: 4.94.

Projected Round (2011): Top 20 Pick.

1/26/11: Cameron Jordan is a beast. He's dominated the Senior Bowl practices thus far. In fact, he was so aggressive that he hit the quarterback on one occasion, prompting Marvin Lewis to pull Jordan aside and tell him, "If you do that again, they're gonna give you a GPS and you're gonna have to drive out of here." Jordan won't make it past New England at No. 17, and he could go as high as Dallas at No. 9.

10/8/10: Not many players have had a bigger rise up big boards this season than Jordan. He is among the most consistent, productive players in the nation. He is extremely strong at the point of attack and is simply mauling linemen this season. His hand use and extension is textbook and he is shedding blockers at will. Statistically, he isn't killing it (16 tackles, 2 sacks), but he has the attention of everyone with an actual eye for talent that watches him play. He projects as a left defensive end here in the 4-3 scheme, but his best value like Allen Bailey is as a 3-4 defensive end.

5/5/10: Had a great junior campaign, generating 9.5 TFL and eight sacks.

# J.J. Watt, DE/DT, Wisconsin

Height: 6-6. Weight: 287.

Projected 40 Time: 4.90.

8/3/10: J.J. Watt notched 15.5 TFL and 4.5 sacks in 2009. He projects really well into the 3-4.

# Cameron Heyward, DE/DT, Ohio State

Height: 6-6. Weight: 287.

Projected 40 Time: 4.93.

Projected Round (2011): Top 30 Pick.

10/8/10: Heyward is a very, very inconsistent player, but with his size and strength, some coaching staff will feel like they can make him a better player than he really is. Heyward's best position is 5-technique because of his length and bulk. There is no doubt he has potential here, but he is not always as physical as he should be and often disappears.

5/8/10: Currently the top 3-4 end in the 2011 class, Cameron Heyward had 10 TFL and 6.5 sacks in 2009. He would have been a top-15 pick had he declared for the 2010 NFL Draft.

AND THE TOP 5 3-4 OLBs

# Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M - Scouting Report

Height: 6-3. Weight: 237.

Projected 40 Time: 4.58.

Projected Round (2011): Top 5 Pick.

1/30/11: Looks like Adam Schefter was right on the money when he tweeted that Von Miller would be a top-five pick this April. Miller was the best player on the field in the Senior Bowl. He completely disrupted the North team's offense, even collecting a sack out of the defensive end position. It's hard to imagine the Cardinals passing on him (though the Bills may take him at No. 3).

10/8/10: Miller has been battling an injured ankle all season and that's why he hasn't lived up to his preseason billing. However, despite not playing very well, we know he's hurt and this shows how tough he is. Playing through pain is something you will have to do in the NFL and Miller isn't a pansy - we know this now. Once he's healthy, then we can start to fairly evaluate his game.

5/7/10: Had an amazing 21.5 TFL and 16.5 sacks in 2009. Also broke up five passes. Von Miller even beat Russell Okung a few times in their epic matchup.

11/20/09: Compares to Elvis Dumervil; undersized but makes up for it with relentless pass rushing. Von Miller has 18.5 TFL and 15 sacks as a junior, beating Russell Okung on a few occasions. Any 3-4 team would love to have him.

# Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina

Height: 6-5. Weight: 268.

Projected 40 Time: 4.60.

Projected Round (2011): Top 10 Pick.

1/26/11: Write-ups for these rankings will be added later; there were "personnel complications" on the site, which is why these rankings haven't been updated in a while.

10/8/10: Quinn has enough athleticism, fluidity and burst to play rush linebacker in the NFL. He's still indefinitely suspended by the NCAA, but we hope he will be playing by mid-season.

# Aldon Smith, DE/OLB, Missouri

Height: 6-4. Weight: 260.

Projected 40 Time: 4.64.

Projected Round (2012): Top 15 Pick.

5/5/10: Aldon Smith managed 19 TFL and 11.5 sacks as a freshman in 2009. Smith and Nick Perry will be in the top 10-15 of my 2012 NFL Mock Draft, coming this summer.

# Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA

Height: 6-4. Weight: 252.

Projected 40 Time: 4.64.

10/8/10: I loved Ayers' game tape against Texas. He can drop in coverage, play the run, and really compete on the field. There is no denying his talent level, but when I watched his game against Washington State he was a little invisible and didn't make his presence felt enough. As a pass-rusher, he is a little overrated - I just haven't seen it yet, but some coach will believe he can be taught.

5/7/10: Akeem Ayers had 12.5 TFL and five sacks as a mere sophomore.

# Ryan Kerrigan, DE/OLB, Purdue

Height: 6-4. Weight: 255.

Projected 40 Time: 4.82.

Projected Round (2011): Top 25 Pick.

1/27/11: I thought Ryan Kerrigan was better today. He looked good standing up, and he beat Nate Solder during live action.

1/26/11: Nate Solder dominated Ryan Kerrigan in their one-on-one matchup. Aside from a nice inside move by Kerrigan on Day 1, the Purdue defensive end hasn't been very impressive this week.

10/8/10: I love Kerrigan's motor and competitiveness, but he doesn't have the physical skill set that will enable him to make the same plays at the next level. He lacks explosiveness and agility to be the same player in the NFL. I also like his quickness off the ball and ability to play the run, but he's an overrated prospect at the moment.

5/5/10: Ryan Kerrigan just put together an outstanding junior campaign, notching 17 TFL and 11 sacks.

Edited by Rockinon

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since you asked here are my opinions:

Fairely:

I like guys that step on other guys when they are down. The Bills need some much needed nastieness if somehow Fairely falls to #3 its a no brainier. The kid makes plays.

Dareaus:

I've watched Marcell Dareus in atleast 6 games and every game atleast 1 time a game you're left with "how does a guy that big make a play like that." He has all the tools, he will make an impact, and if we play 3-4\4-3 hybrid he can be very versatile.

Cam Jordan:

Kept coming up late 1st round in mocks through out the regular season. Didn't catch a lot of his play, I watched the Cal Stanford game. Looked like a 1 man wrecking crew at the Senior Bowl. Given that Bowers and Quinn both play in the notoriously weak ACC, and I've seen mostly youtube clips of them (Quinn is a youtube monster) I feel more comfortable with Cam Jordan over Bowers or Quinn.

JJ Watt:

I watched a few Wisconsin games most to watch Gabe Carimi (and instead was really impressed with Moffit instead {who proved me right and impressed everyone in the Senior Bowl})Fast forwarded a lot on the Wisconsin D. Don't have an opinion not comfortable with the guy at this point in time.

Cam Heyward:

Going into 2010 season he was in many mocks in the Top10 of the draft, early in the season he fell out of the 1st round in a lot of mocks. I DVRed the OSU games just to watch him play. He finished really strong with a dominant Bowl Game. The kid is a beast but inconsistent. He can turn it on and turn it off sometimes. He has great NFL bloodlines. #3 overall probably isn't going to happen. Not when you have Fairely, Dareaus and now Cam Jordan that I would take over him. He will definitely be a good NFL player though.

I personally believe the odds of a bust are low with Fairely, Dareaus and Jordan. A little higher with Heyward and way higher with Bowers & Quinn. My attitude with JJ Watt is, "why bother there are better options, right?"

LBs:

Von Miller:

Will be a good Football player, I don't see anything special about him to be worthy of the #3 overall pick. You can find people with a 95% upside as his later in the draft such as Oklohoma's Jeremy Beal, or Sam Acho.

Robert Quinn:

Youtube MOnster, ACC sucks, suspended for a year, two many red flags for me to feel comfortable at #3 overall

Aldon Smith:

From what I read he should have went back for his senior year, but I guess you got to get that paper.

Akeem Ayers:

Seems like a ferocious tackler on youtube, Seems like one of the most full packages in the crop of LBs, he will be a good NFL player, and in the right position with right coaching he might even be great.

Ryan Kerrigan:

Looks to me like worst case Chris Kelsay best vase Aaron Schobel. Like them I don't know where Kerrigan fits ins a 3-4 definitely not #3 overall worthy.

Edited by Why So Serious?

What about OLB?

The best player that nobody talks about is Drake Nevis...

youtube.com/watch?v=htpcIDTOOcw&feature=related

He looks just as good as Fairley in the clips I've watched of him. I don't see how a guy like this could last till our second pick, but he might be a great pickup in a trade back situation.

Drake is a DT that weighs 285lbs which would mean he would have to learn the 3-4 DE position but his weight is about right. He does look pretty good in that video. Here is a bio according to LSUsports.net:

Drake Nevis Bio

Courtesy: LSUsports.net

Release: 01/26/2011

2010 First-Team All-America (CBSsports.com)

2010 Second-Team All-American (AP, Walter Camp, Rivals.com)

2010 First-Team All-Southeastern Conference (AP, Coaches)

2010 SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week (vs. Vanderbilt, vs. Mississippi State, at Florida, vs. Alabama)

2010 Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week (vs. Alabama)

CAREER

An outstanding player who stepped into the starting role at defensive tackle as a senior and continued the tradition of defensive line dominance by the Tigers ... Earned first team All-America honors from CBSsports.com and second team All-America honors from AP, Walter Camp, and Rivals.com in 2010 ... Became the sixth LSU defensive lineman since 2000 to earn first team All-America honors ... Capped career with 139 tackles, 31.5 tackles for loss and 11 sacks ... Ranked ninth in LSU history for career tackles for a loss (31.5) ... Played 45 games during career, starting 18 times ... In 2007, then-LSU All-America Glenn Dorsey said Nevis would be the next great defensive tackle at LSU and three years later, Dorsey was right ... Graduated in December of 2010 with a degree in general studies ... Invited to participate in the Senior Bowl in January of 2011.

SENIOR SEASON (2010)

One of the most dominating defensive linemen in college football in 2010 ... Played and started all 13 games for an LSU defense was rated among the best in the nation ... First among LSU defensive linemen with 56 tackles ... Led Tigers and ranked seventh in the SEC in tackles for loss with 13 ... Tied for ninth in the league in sacks with 6.0 ... Added three forced fumbles, four quarterback hurries and an interception in 2010 ... Named SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week a league-high four times in 2010 ... Earned the honor in wins over Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Florida and Alabama ... Named the Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week in 24-21 victory over Crimson Tide after he posted seven tackles, one sack for a 6-yard loss, a forced fumble, a pass breakup and a quarterback hurry ... Had 2.5 sacks for 17-yards in losses and five tackles in win over Vanderbilt ... May have had best overall game in an LSU uniform against Florida with 4.5 tackles for loss (--15 yards), 1.5 sacks (-9 yards), seven tackles and a forced fumble in win over Gators ... Had a tackle for loss that resulted in a safety in win over McNeese State ... Recorded three tackles, one tackle for loss and one forced fumble against West Virginia ... Named SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week for the second-straight week as he set a career-high with nine tackles to go with 1.5 tackles for loss and an interception in home win over Mississippi State ... Started at right defensive tackle against North Carolina and posted four tackles and a sack for a loss of nine yards ... One of the strongest players on the team with a 535-pound squat and a 475-pound bench.

JUNIOR SEASON (2009)

Played in 13 games with no starts ... Had his best season at LSU, leading all defensive linemen with 50 tackles ... Also tops on the team in tackles for losses with 11.0 and ranked second on squad with 4.0 sacks ... Had at least a half-tackle for a loss in 10 of LSU's 13 games ... Came on strong at the end of the year, recording 20 tackles, six tackles for loss and a pair of sacks in LSU's final five games ... Had career-high eight tackles vs. Florida ... Opened year with four tackles, including one for a 10-yard loss, in win over Washington ... Had six tackles and a fumble recovery in win over Mississippi State ... Sacks came against Auburn and Alabama ... Sacked Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy in the endzone for a safety ... Added seven tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss and a QB hurry against the Crimson Tide ... His safety at Alabama was LSU's first recorded on an individual tackle since Early Doucet tackled the punter in the endzone against Arkansas on Nov. 25, 2005.

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2008)

Played in a reserve role at defensive tackle and saw time in 11 games ... Earned starts at left defensive tackle against South Carolina and at right defensive tackle against Florida ... Concluded the year with 16 tackles and tied for fourth on the squad in tackles for losses with 5.5 ... Picked up two tackles against Ole Miss ... Finished with one tackle for loss, one fumble recovery and one quarterback hurry against Troy ... Recorded one tackle against Alabama ... Tallied a season-high five tackles -- all solo -- including a career-high two stops for losses at Florida ... Recorded four tackles in win against Mississippi State including 1.5 tackles for losses ... Had two tackles versus North Texas ... Registered a tackle for a loss of six yards in season-opening victory against Appalachian State.

FRESHMAN SEASON (2007)

A true freshman that saw action in eight games, with two starts (Louisiana Tech and Arkansas) ... Got the starting nod in place of Marlon Favorite at left tackle in against both Tech and Arkansas ... Finished the year with 17 tackles and two broken up passes ... Against Louisiana Tech, finished with a career-high six tackles, including his first for a loss, and two PBUs ... Had five tackles against Arkansas ... Made his collegiate debut at Tulane.

HIGH SCHOOL

The top interior defensive line prospect in the state and one of the best at his position in the nation ... Rated the No. 8 defensive tackle prospect in the nation by Rivals.com ... Received Class 5A first-team all-state honors with 72 tackles (17 for losses), 18 sacks, 25 quarterback hurries, eight forced fumbles and two recovered fumbles as a senior ... 2006 MVP of the New Orleans Times Picayune's All-Metro team and a SuperPrep All-American ... Member of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Super Southern 100, New Orleans Times Picayune's Blue-Chip List and Baton Rouge Advocate Super Dozen ... Recorded 80 tackles and eight sacks as a junior ... Coached by Billy North.

PERSONAL

Full name is Drake M. Nevis ... Parents are Darrell and Vivian Nevis ... Has one brother, Darrell, Jr.; and one sister, Brianne ... Born May 8, 1989, in Thibodaux, La. ... Majoring in general studies.

CAREER HIGHS

Total tackles: 9 vs. Mississippi State, 2010

Tackles for loss: 4.5 at Florida, 2010

Sacks: 2.5 at Vanderbilt, 2010

Interceptions: 1 vs. Mississippi State, 2010

Edited by Rockinon

What about OLB?

Drake is a DT that weighs 285lbs which would mean he would have to learn the 3-4 DE position but his weight is about right. He does look pretty good in that video.

At least he seems to have the athleticism of a 3-4 DE. It's weird how he's not mentioned in that big group of first round D lineman because the guys got mad skills. Looks like better skills than a lot of those guys.

Him and Sheppard (both LSU players) would look great on our defense.

What about OLB?

Drake is a DT that weighs 285lbs which would mean he would have to learn the 3-4 DE position but his weight is about right. He does look pretty good in that video. Here is a bio according to LSUsports.net:

There are only 14 teams that play the 3-4 in College Football as their base defense, so most draftees are going to have a learning curve.

Drake has great reviews, seem like a steal if falls to the 3rd round, I don't know about the #34 pick.

since you asked here are my opinions:

Fairely:

I like guys that step on other guys when they are down. The Bills need some much needed nastieness if somehow Fairely falls to #3 its a no brainier. The kid makes plays.

Dareaus:

I've watched Marcell Dareus in atleast 6 games and every game atleast 1 time a game you're left with "how does a guy that big make a play like that." He has all the tools, he will make an impact, and if we play 3-4\4-3 hybrid he can be very versatile.

Cam Jordan:

Kept coming up late 1st round in mocks through out the regular season. Didn't catch a lot of his play, I watched the Cal Stanford game. Looked like a 1 man wrecking crew at the Senior Bowl. Given that Bowers and Quinn both play in the notoriously weak ACC, and I've seen mostly youtube clips of them (Quinn is a youtube monster) I feel more comfortable with Cam Jordan over Bowers or Quinn.

JJ Watt:

I watched a few Wisconsin games most to watch Gabe Carimi (and instead was really impressed with Moffit instead {who proved me right and impressed everyone in the Senior Bowl})Fast forwarded a lot on the Wisconsin D. Don't have an opinion not comfortable with the guy at this point in time.

Cam Heyward:

Going into 2010 season he was in many mocks in the Top10 of the draft, early in the season he fell out of the 1st round in a lot of mocks. I DVRed the OSU games just to watch him play. He finished really strong with a dominant Bowl Game. The kid is a beast but inconsistent. He can turn it on and turn it off sometimes. He has great NFL bloodlines. #3 overall probably isn't going to happen. Not when you have Fairely, Dareaus and now Cam Jordan that I would take over him. He will definitely be a good NFL player though.

I personally believe the odds of a bust are low with Fairely, Dareaus and Jordan. A little higher with Heyward and way higher with Bowers & Quinn. My attitude with JJ Watt is, "why bother there are better options, right?"

LBs:

Von Miller:

Will be a good Football player, I don't see anything special about him to be worthy of the #3 overall pick. You can find people with a 95% upside as his later in the draft such as Oklohoma's Jeremy Beal, or Sam Acho.

Robert Quinn:

Youtube MOnster, ACC sucks, suspended for a year, two many red flags for me to feel comfortable at #3 overall

Aldon Smith:

From what I read he should have went back for his senior year, but I guess you got to get that paper.

Akeem Ayers:

Seems like a ferocious tackler on youtube, Seems like one of the most full packages in the crop of LBs, he will be a good NFL player, and in the right position with right coaching he might even be great.

Ryan Kerrigan:

Looks to me like worst case Chris Kelsay best vase Aaron Schobel. Like them I don't know where Kerrigan fits ins a 3-4 definitely not #3 overall worthy.

Nick Fairley Bio according to auburntigers.cstv.com

2009 -- Appeared in 13 games with two starts ... Totaled 28 tackles with 3.5 TFLs ... Started first career game in season opener vs. Louisiana Tech ... Recorded five tackles with half a TFL, one fumble recovery and two QBH ... Had half a TFL (minus 3 yards), two QB hurries and three total tackles vs. West Virginia ... Recorded one tackle vs. Ball State ... Recorded first blocked PAT of career in win over Tennessee ... Block came on UT's first score near the end of the first half and gave Auburn a 13-6 edge ... Posted three tackles, with one solo, vs. Arkansas ... Registered a TFL (minus 2 yards) as only tackle vs. Kentucky ... Had one tackle vs. LSU ... Picked up one assisted tackle vs. Ole Miss ... Logged one tackle vs. Furman ... Had strong showing vs. Georgia, recording first career sack, 1.0 for minus 14 yards, and finished with two total tackles ... Against Alabama, had half a sack (minus 1 yard), three QB hurries and four total tackles ... Started vs. Northwestern in Outback Bowl ... Tied season high with five tackles, all solo stops, vs. Wildcats.

JUNIOR COLLEGE -- Junior College Coach: Glenn Davis ... Played at Copiah-Lincoln CC in Wesson, Miss. ... All-Region XII in state of Mississippi in 2008 at defensive tackle ... Had 63 tackles including nine for loss and seven quarterback sacks in seven games ... Redshirted in 2007.

HIGH SCHOOL -- High School Coach: Bobby Parrish ... Spent time on both sides of the ball as a senior, grading out at 97 percent on the offensive line and catching five passes for 150 yards at tight end, while making more than 90 tackles on defense ... Named a 5A Lineman of the Year finalist and to the 5A All-State team by the ASWA ... Ranked 28th among offensive guards and 15th overall in Alabama by rivals.com ... Ranked No. 32 at the offensive tackle position by espn.com ... Selected to the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic and played both ways in the game ... Selected to the Mobile Press- Register's Elite 18 Alabama recruits list and the paper's Super Southeast 120 ... Played in the AHSAA North/South All-Star game as a junior.

PERSONAL -- Born Jan. 23, 1988 ... Son of Paula Rogers and Herbert Rogers ... Major: Undecided.

There are only 14 teams that play the 3-4 in College Football as their base defense, so most draftees are going to have a learning curve.

Drake has great reviews, seem like a steal if falls to the 3rd round, I don't know about the #34 pick.

Just FYI I am using This link to get a feel for player rankings. I like it because they make a distinction between projected 3-4 OLB and 4-3 OLB and also 3-4 DE and 4-3 DE.

As for player the player bio, I am just going to the school that they played at for that info.

Edited by Rockinon

The Bills DE's for next year and the near future:

Kyle Williams (pro bowl penetrating DT - makes more sense in 3-4 as a DE)

Dwan Edwards (top FA signing - previous Ravens starter)

Alex Carrington (3rd round)

Troupe (2nd round) will move KW over from NT.

That's 4 starting DL for 3 starting spots. Buddy Nix is responsible for bringing 3 of them to the team just last year. The one pro bowler (KW) is the only one Nix didn't bring in last year. You tell me which of those guys you give up on after one season if you were Buddy Nix??

There's also Kelsay with his new contract (God help us) playing DE when they have 4 down, so that's not an issue either.

So why are you interested in D-linemen?

What could possibly make anyone think Nix is going to give up on not one but two of his 3 biggest defensive personnel moves last season??

Nix said last week the problem with their run defense is the LB's (and specifcially their lack of size). I believe he meant it.

Von Miller if they think he's good enough. Otherwise AJ Green followed by two LB's (one OLB, one ILB) in rounds 2 and 3.

Nick Fairley Bio according to auburntigers.cstv.com

2009 -- Appeared in 13 games with two starts ... Totaled 28 tackles with 3.5 TFLs ... Started first career game in season opener vs. Louisiana Tech ... Recorded five tackles with half a TFL, one fumble recovery and two QBH ... Had half a TFL (minus 3 yards), two QB hurries and three total tackles vs. West Virginia ... Recorded one tackle vs. Ball State ... Recorded first blocked PAT of career in win over Tennessee ... Block came on UT's first score near the end of the first half and gave Auburn a 13-6 edge ... Posted three tackles, with one solo, vs. Arkansas ... Registered a TFL (minus 2 yards) as only tackle vs. Kentucky ... Had one tackle vs. LSU ... Picked up one assisted tackle vs. Ole Miss ... Logged one tackle vs. Furman ... Had strong showing vs. Georgia, recording first career sack, 1.0 for minus 14 yards, and finished with two total tackles ... Against Alabama, had half a sack (minus 1 yard), three QB hurries and four total tackles ... Started vs. Northwestern in Outback Bowl ... Tied season high with five tackles, all solo stops, vs. Wildcats.

JUNIOR COLLEGE -- Junior College Coach: Glenn Davis ... Played at Copiah-Lincoln CC in Wesson, Miss. ... All-Region XII in state of Mississippi in 2008 at defensive tackle ... Had 63 tackles including nine for loss and seven quarterback sacks in seven games ... Redshirted in 2007.

HIGH SCHOOL -- High School Coach: Bobby Parrish ... Spent time on both sides of the ball as a senior, grading out at 97 percent on the offensive line and catching five passes for 150 yards at tight end, while making more than 90 tackles on defense ... Named a 5A Lineman of the Year finalist and to the 5A All-State team by the ASWA ... Ranked 28th among offensive guards and 15th overall in Alabama by rivals.com ... Ranked No. 32 at the offensive tackle position by espn.com ... Selected to the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic and played both ways in the game ... Selected to the Mobile Press- Register's Elite 18 Alabama recruits list and the paper's Super Southeast 120 ... Played in the AHSAA North/South All-Star game as a junior.

PERSONAL -- Born Jan. 23, 1988 ... Son of Paula Rogers and Herbert Rogers ... Major: Undecided.

Just FYI I am using This link to get a feel for player rankings. I like it because they make a distinction between projected 3-4 OLB and 4-3 OLB and also 3-4 DE and 4-3 DE.

As for player the player bio, I am just going to the school that they played at for that info.

The Problem with Walter Football is Walter Cherepinsky is as qualified as me to give draft opinions:

http://www.facebook.com/walterfootball

I found this site NFLDraft101.com http://www.nfldraft101.com/aboutUs.jsp

That is run by some former TV and Print Sports Journalists that atleast have a little more validity to their creds. This site also seems to have their own opinions, where many of the draftnick sites all just copy of each other, McShay and Kiper.

They separate out 4-3 LBs, from Outside LBs, and Inside LBs.

http://www.nfldraft101.com/draft/rankings/2011/olb.jsp

That's 4 starting DL for 3 starting spots. Buddy Nix is responsible for bringing 3 of them to the team just last year. The one pro bowler (KW) is the only one Nix didn't bring in last year. You tell me which of those guys you give up on after one season if you were Buddy Nix??

There's also Kelsay with his new contract (God help us) playing DE when they have 4 down, so that's not an issue either.

What could possibly make anyone think Nix is going to give up on not one but two of his 3 biggest defensive personnel moves last season??

Nix said last week the problem with their run defense is the LB's (and specifcially their lack of size). I believe he meant it.

Von Miller if they think he's good enough. Otherwise AJ Green followed by two LB's (one OLB, one ILB) in rounds 2 and 3.

Von Miller = Lack of size. If you take Buddy Nix at face value than there is no way the pick is Von Miller.

The problem with our DEs is that they are actually too big and slow. Marcus Stroud and McCargo are over 300lbs. They were great in goal line short yardage situations but if anyone ran to the outside, they were not fast enough to force backs to the edge. We are fine for NT yes, but we are not fine at 3-4 DE. Dwan Edwards is a fairly good DE but I seriously doubt that you are going to see Kyle Williams as a DE. That was simply done last year because we sucked at that position.

The Problem with Walter Football is Walter Cherepinsky is as qualified as me to give draft opinions:

http://www.facebook.com/walterfootball

I found this site NFLDraft101.com http://www.nfldraft101.com/aboutUs.jsp

That is run by some former TV and Print Sports Journalists that atleast have a little more validity to their creds. This site also seems to have their own opinions, where many of the draftnick sites all just copy of each other, McShay and Kiper.

They separate out 4-3 LBs, from Outside LBs, and Inside LBs.

http://www.nfldraft101.com/draft/rankings/2011/olb.jsp

Von Miller = Lack of size. If you take Buddy Nix at face value than there is no way the pick is Von Miller.

Chan says he will be great in any system.

cam jordan would be a great trade down deal...love to do that and get a rt and ilb in 2nd

Cameron Jordon BIO according to www.calbears.com

CAL CAREER (Career Stats): Played in 50 of 51 possible games and made 32 starts at Cal from 2007-10 ... an honorable mention All-American (Pro Football Weekly) and first-team All-Pac-10 choice as a senior in 2010 after two consecutive honorable mention All-Pac-10 campaigns in 2008 and 2009 ... finished his collegiate career with 175 tackles (88 unassisted, 87 assisted), while adding 34.0 tackles for loss (-122 yards) and 16.5 sacks (-89 yards) to rank just outside the school's all-time top 10 in each of the latter two categories ... added one interception that he returned for three yards, five pass breakups, four forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries that he returned for a total of 41 yards and twice for touchdowns.

2010 (Game-By-Game Stats): Earned honorable mention All-American honors from Pro Football Weekly and was a first-team All-Pac-10 choice according to both the league's coaches and Phil Steele ... added second-team All-Pac-10 honors from Scout ... on the final watch for the Ted Hendricks Award given annually to the nation's top defensive end ... started all 12 games and recorded career highs of 62 tackles (fifth on the club and first among defensive linemen) and 12.5 tackles for loss (-47 yards) for a 1.04 per game average that was second on the squad and fourth in the Pac-10 ... also had 5.5 sacks (-32 yards) that were second on the team and a half sack shy of the career-high 6.0 he recorded as a 2009 junior, with his 0.46 sacks per game average 11th in the Pac-10 ... added a career-high and team-high-tying three forced fumbles for an average of 0.25 per game that ranked tied for third in the Pac-10 ... had his lone fumble recovery of the season in the final game of his career vs. Washington, returning it 21 yards for his second career touchdown ... added four pass breakups to lead the team's defensive linemen and a quarterback hurry ... had his top statistical game of the season in a win at Washington State with a career-high 12 tackles, career-high-tying 3.0 tackles for loss (-15 yards) and a season-high 1.5 sacks to lead the Bears to their only road win of the campaign and earn honorable mention Defensive Lineman Performer of the Week honors from the College Football Performance Awards ... also had six tackles four times - at Nevada (also 0.5 TFL), vs. Arizona State (also 1.0 TFL and one PBU), at Oregon State (also 2.0 TFL, 1.0 sack) and vs. Washington (also 2.0 TFL, one fumble recovery that he returned 21 yards for a touchdown) ... had 2.0 tackles for loss and 1.0 sack among his five tackles vs. Colorado ... picked up 1.0 tackle for loss, 1.0 sack, a forced fumble and a pass breakup at Arizona ... had 1.0 tackle for loss and 1.0 sack vs. UCLA ... recorded five tackles, a forced fumble, a quarterback hurry and a pass breakup against Oregon ... picked up second-team All-Pac-10 midseason honors from Phil Steele ... selected by Athlon, Lindy's and Phil Steele as a second-team preseason All-Pac-10 choice, with Lindy's also naming him the Pac-10's No. 8 NFL talent and Phil Steele selecting him as the nation's No. 16 draft-eligible defensive end prior to the season ... called Cal's "The Next Big Thing" by Sporting News and listed as one of Cal's "Players to Watch" according to Lindy's.

2009 (Game-By-Game Stats): An honorable mention All-Pac-10 selection for the second consecutive season, starting all 13 games and ranking second among the team's defensive linemen behind 2010 first-round NFL draft pick Tyson Alualu with 48 tackles, as well as second overall also behind Alualu with 9.5 tackles for loss (-41 yards) and a career-high 6.0 sacks (-35 yards) ... among the Pac-10's per-game leaders in sacks (No. 10-T, 0.46) and tackles for loss (No. 15-T, 0.73) ... added one fumble recovery, five quarterback hurries and one pass breakup ... recipient of the team's Bob Tessier Award as the Most Improved Defensive Lineman ... recorded a season-high seven tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss (-7 yards) and 0.5 sacks (-5 yards) vs. Arizona ... had a huge game against Washington State with a career-high 2.5 sacks and a season-high 2.5 tackles for loss (-17 yards) among his six tackles, while also adding a career-high three quarterback hurries ... had five-tackle games vs. Maryland, at Oregon and vs. Oregon State with 1.0 tackle for loss in each of the three, while also adding a sack for minus three yards and a fumble recovery against the Terrapins in the season-opener and the first pass breakup of his career against the Beavers ... had 1.0 sack at UCLA (-7 yards) and vs. Utah in the Poinsettia Bowl (-3 yards) ... had 0.5 tackles for loss (-1 yard) among his four tackles at Stanford ... had single quarterback hurries vs. Eastern Washington and USC ... selected third-team preseason All-Pac-10 by Athlon and fourth-team according to Phil Steele, as well as the nation's No. 53 defensive end by the latter.

2008 (Game-By-Game Stats): An honorable mention All-Pac-10 selection who played in 12 games, taking over a starting defensive end job in the fifth contest of the season and starting the final seven regular season games before coming off the bench in the team's Emerald Bowl victory over Miami, Fla. ... completed the campaign with 47 tackles, 11.0 tackles for loss (-29 yards), 4.0 sacks (-17 yards), one interception that he returned three yards, one forced fumble and two fumble recoveries that he returned seven yards ... ranked among the Pac-10 per-game leaders in fumble recoveries (No. 6-T, 0.17), tackles for loss (No. 12-T, 0.92) and sacks (No. 19-T, 0.33) ... co-led the squad in fumble recoveries along with Mike Mohamed ... co-led the team's defensive linemen along with Tyson Alualu and ranked tied for second overall on the club in tackles for loss, as well as second among defensive linemen behind Alualu and third overall in sacks ... earned Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Week notice for his October 4 performance at Arizona State, making his first start and finishing with eight tackles, a career-high-tying 3.0 tackles for loss (-8 yards), a season-high 2.0 sacks (-7 yards) and a forced fumble ... had a season-best 10 tackles with 2.5 tackles for loss (-12 yards) and 1.0 sack (-7 yards) vs. Oregon ... picked up a sack for minus three yards among his six stops at USC ... snared his lone collegiate interception and returned it three yards vs. Colorado State ... recovered a fumble vs. Stanford at the Cal 10-yard line, which prompted the Bears to go on a 90-yard scoring drive for a touchdown and a 10-0 lead ... played a key role in the Emerald Bowl win over Miami, Fla., returning a fumble seven yards to the Hurricanes' two-yard line with 3:28 remaining in the contest to set up the game-winning touchdown and also recording 2.0 tackles for loss (-2 yards) among his three tackles ... recorded five tackles and 1.0 tackle for loss (-1 yard) at Oregon State ... had 1.0 tackle for loss (-2 yards) and a quarterback hurry in the season-opener at Washington State ... posted a quarterback hurry in the regular-season finale vs. Washington ... had 0.5 tackles for loss (-1 yard) among his four tackles vs. UCLA.

2007 (Game-By-Game Stats): Played in all 13 games off the bench during his true freshman season and recorded 18 tackles, 1.0 tackle for loss (-5 yards), 1.0 sack (-5 yards), three quarterback hurries and one fumble recovery that he returned 13 yards at Arizona State for the first of his two career touchdowns ... tallied half-sacks at Arizona State (-3 yards) and Colorado State (-2 yards) ... notched a season-best four takedowns in Cal's road victory over Oregon, while adding three at Colorado State ... earned the team's Bob Tessier Award as its Most Improved Defensive Lineman.

HIGH SCHOOL: Rated the No. 5 prospect in the state of Arizona and selected to the All-Far West team by SuperPrep ... listed as the No. 8 recruit in Arizona and the No. 37 defensive end nationally by Rivals ... a PrepStar All-West Region choice ... ranked No. 54 nationally among defensive ends by Scout ... named the top defensive lineman at the Nike Training Camp in Los Angeles ... earned All-State honors his senior year after registering 85 tackles, 37.0 tackles for loss and 17.5 sacks while leading his squad to an impressive 11-2 record.

PERSONAL: Full name is Cameron Tyler Jordan ... born July 10, 1989 ... parents are Steve and Anita Jordan ... father played college football at Brown, then for 13 years as an NFL tight end with the Minnesota Vikings and was selected to the Pro Bowl six times, compiling career totals of 498 receptions for 6,307 receiving yards and 28 touchdown catches, with his best statistical seasons coming back-to-back in 1985 when he caught a career-high 68 passes for 795 yards and in 1986 when he made 58 receptions for a career-high 859 yards as well as a career-best six TD catches ... major is Legal Studies.

JORDAN'S CAREER GAME HIGHS

Tackles: 12 (at Washington State, 2010)

Tackles For Loss: 3.0 (twice, last at Washington State, 2010)

Sacks: 2.5 (vs. Washington State, 2009)

Forced Fumbles: 1 (four times, last vs. Oregon, 2010)

Fumble Recoveries: 1 (five times, last vs. Washington, 2010)

Interceptions: 1 (vs. Colorado State, 2008)

Pass Breakups: 1 (five times, last vs. Oregon, 2010)

Quarterback Hurries: 3 (vs. Washington State, 2009)

Kick Returns: 1 (twice, last at UCLA, 2007)

Kick Return Yards: 4 (at Oregon, 2007)

Long Kick Return: 4 (at Oregon, 2007)

All-Purpose Yards: 4 (at Oregon, 2007)

LAST UPDATED: January 12, 2011

I'm really warming up to Dareus. Flat out solid player who can play multiple positions & is used to winning. We need more winners on this team.

Dareus is a 306lb DE. Imagining him lined up next to Kyle Williams sounds like a winner.

Marcel Dareus according to www.rolltide.com

OUTLOOK: Marcell Dareus burst onto the national scene with his MVP performance in the BCS National Championship Game against Texas .... a powerful defensive end who can also slide inside in passing situations ... a tremendous pass rusher who can play the run as well ... named to the preliminary 2010 Lombardi Award Watch List ... played in 22 career games, making three starts ... has 37 career tackles, making nine tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks ... goes into preseason practice as the Tide's top returning defensive end ... recorded six tackles with a sack (-6) in the 2009 A-Day Game ... a two-time winner (2009, 2010) of the Dwight Stephenson Lineman of the A-Day Game Award ... in three 2010 spring scrimmages - including A-Day - Dareus had 21 tackles, 10 sacks and 11.5 tackles for loss ... won the Lee Roy Jordan Headhunter Award for his play in spring practice.

2009 (SOPHOMORE): Marcell Dareus produced the two biggest plays of his Alabama career to date in the 2010 Citi BCS National Championship Game to earn Defensive MVP honors and vault the Crimson Tide to their 13th national championship ... a big contributor all season at defensive end for the Crimson Tide ... a dangerous pass rusher off the edge and excellent at the point of attack in the rushing game ... played in 14 games and made four starts while serving as the Tide's top pass rusher ... finished eighth in the Southeastern Conference and ranked tied for 90th nationally with 6.5 sacks (-44) or .46 per game ... had 33 total tackles, 9.0 tackles for loss (-49), seven quarterback hurries, an interception and two pass breakups. Virginia Tech: Made his first career start at defensive end in place of Brandon Deaderick ... helped the Tide defense hold the Hokies to just 155 yards of total offense ... got to the quarterback for the first time in his career by recording 1.5 sacks (-8). Florida International: Tallied two sacks for a loss of 17 yards against the Golden Panthers ... recorded four tackles ... helped lead the Tide defense that held FIU to just one yard rushing and 214 total yards. North Texas: Notched one assisted tackle in his third start of the season ... played just over one half as the Tide routed the Mean Green, 53-7. Arkansas: Dareus tallied two solo tackles and one tackle for loss (-1) as the Tide held the Hogs' high-powered offense to just 254 total yards and 63 yards on the grounds. Kentucky: Had five total tackles with four solo stops against the Wildcats ... also registered a quarterback hurry. Mississippi: Made three solo tackles in a 22-3 win over the Rebels ... registered one tackle for loss (-3) by dropping UM's Dexter McCluster in the backfield. South Carolina: Helped keep the Gamecocks out of the end zone and limit USC to 64 yards rushing, but did not have a tackle. Tennessee: Logged two solo and two assisted stops as the Tide limited the Vols' potent rushing attack to just 74 yards ... recorded a sack of seven yards in the fourth quarter ... broke up a pass in the Tide's 12-10 win. LSU: Had a big fourth quarter with two sacks (-12 yards) that killed any Tiger momentum as LSU managed only nine total yards in the stanza ... finished with four total tackles as the Tide allowed just 95 yards rushing. Mississippi State: Made two total tackles with a solo stop as the Tide defense limited MSU to 213 total yards. Chattanooga: Made one assisted tackle as the Tide routed the Mocs, 45-0. Auburn: Recorded two assisted tackles in the Crimson Tide's 26-21 win at Auburn ... had half of a tackle for loss ... registered one quarterback hurry. Florida: Harassed the Gators throughout the game ... recorded two quaterback hurries ... notched two total tackles with one solo stop as the Tide rolled to their 22nd SEC title. Texas: Knocked Texas quarterback Colt McCoy out of the game with a big hit in the first quarter and then intercepted a shovel pass in the final seconds of the second quarter, then used a stiff arm and a spin move to return it 29 yards for a touchdown ... garnered Defensive MVP honors for his play as the Crimson Tide surrendered just 276 total yards and a mere 81 yards rushing.

2008 (FRESHMAN): Dareus was one of 16 true freshmen to see the field in 2008 for Alabama, making his debut in the Crimson Tide's season opener against Clemson ... saw playing time at nose guard in third down situations during his campaign ... made four tackles on the season while recording three quarterback hurries ... played in eight games. Clemson: Dareus earned playing time at defensive end but did not record any statistics. Tulane: Did not play against the Green Wave. Western Kentucky: Garnered playing time at defensive end but did not record any statistics. Arkansas: Did not play against the Razorbacks. Georgia: Dareus did not play against the Bulldogs. Kentucky: Did not play. Mississippi: Dareus did not play vs. the Rebels. Tennessee: Earned his most playing time to date at Tennessee ... the absence of Terrence Cody on the defensive line provided Dareus more snaps ... made his first career tackle and recorded a quarterback hurry. Arkansas State: Logged significant action against the Red Wolves and recorded his second quarterback hurry of the season. LSU: He made his biggest contribution to date for the top-ranked Crimson Tide, registering three tackles ... played end and some nose guard in third down situations vs. the Tigers. Mississippi State: Dareus played but did not record any statistics against the Bulldogs. Auburn: Did not play vs. the Tigers. Florida: Dareus saw extensive action against the Gators as a pass-rush specialist on third down ... accounted for one quarterback hurry on UF quarterback Tim Tebow. Sugar Bowl vs. Utah: Played but did not record any statistics.

HIGH SCHOOL AND PERSONAL DATA: SuperPrep magazine's No. 27 defensive lineman in the country and the publication's No. 7 player in the state of Alabama ... earned a four-star rating from Scout.com and listed as the nation's No. 5 defensive tackle prospect ... Scout.com All-American selection ... a three-star defensive lineman according to Rivals.com ... the No. 28 defensive tackle in the country according to Rivals and the No. 17 overall player on the Alabama Top 35 list ... named to The Mobile Press-Register Elite 18 ... SuperPrep/Scout.com Top 30 Alabama selection (No. 6) ... listed on The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Super Southern 100 ... No. 23 player on the Scout.com Southeast 150 list ... an ASWA All-State honorable mention ... totaled 117 tackles and 20 sacks as a senior at Huffman and also returned a fumble for a touchdown.

Edited by Rockinon

Time out:

Why is it "giving up" on a recent draftee, if new talent is drafted? We don't exactly have quality depth here.

Why should drafting a player one hopes will be good in a late round one year, preclude drafting a higher prospect next year until/unless one has ESTABLISHED QUALITY starters and ESTABLISHED QUALITY depth at a position?

IMO, that's a big part of what's wrong with the Bills:"OK we got one, we need to sit down and give him a chance to develop" instead of trying to get better at any position where we lack proven quality starters and backups.

Now: do we need a LB more than a DE? Most of TBD would apparently agree. But if the top talent this year is at DE, we certainly don't have anyone who has proven himself a durable impact playmaker at that position - just an intriguing rookie who saw the field a little bit at the end, and a pro-bowl NT that people seem to think could get plugged in at the adjacent position like moving a Lego set around.

First of all, many teams like to play their defensive linemen in waves. Defensive linemen wear down more quickly than other players because of their size and the fact that they are pursuing and chasing their offensive counterparts. It's not uncommon for O-linemen to play every snap during a game. It's quite uncommon for a D-lineman to do the same.

Platooning D-linemen is a common practice and the Bills are thin on the D-line.

Secondly, Chris Brown recently wrote (I think it was a Fan Friday installment) that he had talked to the coaching staff about moving Kyle Williams to defensive end and the feedback that he got was that the Bills really like him better on the inside where he can be more consistently disruptive. So you're move of Kyle Williams to defensive end is most likely not gonna happen. Stroud may not be back and Dwan Edwards is at that age where concern for his performance and durability are part of the package. The Bills are thin at defensive end.

Thirdly, as Hopeful pointed out, adding talent at a position does not mean that the team is "giving up" on their incumbent players at that position. It could be as simple as the team wanting to add talent and depth and get younger at that position.

Finally, as Nix has said numerous times, he's not afraid of "stacking talent" at certain positions. In other words, he is not opposed to drafting the best player available regardless of need.

Yes, linebacker is a huge need for the Bills. But in most people's eyes their abomination of a run defense and inability to push the pocket and pressure the quarterback had a lot to do with the play on the front line.

If I was dead-set on taking a DE after taking Von Miller at #3-overall, I'd hope & pray that JJ Watt was still around at pick #34.

Of course, you never know what Nix will do - if someone like Ryan Mallett and/or Gabe Carimi somehow slips past round one, they could end up being our pick at #34. Then, maybe go with Christian Ballard in round 3.

Edited by The Senator