Do we really care if the Muslims take over Egypt?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say let the Islamists take over.

Then promply put TWO Carrier Air Wings in the Med off the Egyptian coast, a third in the Red Sea and tell all the ragheads "Just TRY to make a move on Israel or !@#$ with the shipping lanes through the Suez Canal and see what happens."

But we dont do such things anymore becuase we can never project power and have become a bunch of pussies.

Where the !@#$ is Reagan or JFK when we need them?

Edited by RkFast

Curious post title. As Islam is by far the largest religion in Egypt, I think it's a given the muslims will be in charge of Egypt whatever happens. As for this idea that somehow Egypt is going to become Iran there's very little chance of that happening. The hundreds of thousands demonstrating in Tahrir square do not want an oppressive Islamic regime, they want a western style democracy. In any event even if the muslim brotherhood did win an election, as Islamic parties go they are fairly moderate (think Turkey rather than Iran).

Curious post title. As Islam is by far the largest religion in Egypt, I think it's a given the muslims will be in charge of Egypt whatever happens. As for this idea that somehow Egypt is going to become Iran there's very little chance of that happening. The hundreds of thousands demonstrating in Tahrir square do not want an oppressive Islamic regime, they want a western style democracy. In any event even if the muslim brotherhood did win an election, as Islamic parties go they are fairly moderate (think Turkey rather than Iran).

Uh...

Isnt' the Muslim Brotherhood the precursor of al-Quaeda? If I'm mistaken, wasn't OBL's right-hand man the head of the Muslim Brotherhood?

Uh...

Isnt' the Muslim Brotherhood the precursor of al-Quaeda? If I'm mistaken, wasn't OBL's right-hand man the head of the Muslim Brotherhood?

The only thing I can figure is that chicot believes they're fairly moderate because they haven't gotten a lot of press until lately. Kinda like saying al-Quaeda was "fairly moderate" before 9/11.

Just a another crackpot totalitarian country in the world. Hide woman in veils, chop off hands, etc. But why do I care? Means nothing to my life.

I'm all for these religious whacko countries offing each other. I really could care a less. However, I do worry about some of these kooks possessing nukes. Since they happily accept dying for a fairy tale, they would have no problem planting a nuke here.

The only thing I can figure is that chicot believes they're fairly moderate because they haven't gotten a lot of press until lately. Kinda like saying al-Quaeda was "fairly moderate" before 9/11.

And you figure this based on what? I suppose having "muslim" in the name automatically makes them the bogeyman. This seems like a pretty well-balanced article about them:

muslim brotherhood

And you figure this based on what? I suppose having "muslim" in the name automatically makes them the bogeyman. This seems like a pretty well-balanced article about them:

muslim brotherhood

They espouse Islamic states and sharia law. In other words non muslims are inferior, women are chattel and you can have your hand chopped off for stealing a loaf of bread. These are the moderates?

muslim brotherhood

That's totally my bad. I completely bought into that whole "We hate Israel and can't wait to destroy it" rhetoric I was hearing.

I swear those Jews can be so paranoid sometimes.

That's totally my bad. I completely bought into that whole "We hate Israel and can't wait to destroy it" rhetoric I was hearing.

I swear those Jews can be so paranoid sometimes.

I can see there's not really not much point in trying to debate any of this with you so I wont bother any more.

I can see there's not really not much point in trying to debate any of this with you so I wont bother any more.

I was wondering why you were even bothering to this point.

It's not a PPP thing, either...it's an American thing. Most Americans have an image of "islamist" similar to the caricatures the Nazis used to publish about the Jews - the omnipresent hook-nosed boogeyman skulking in dark corners waiting to steal innocent children.

Chicot....their mission statement or motto states they want to form a Caliphate and do so THROUGH VIOLENCE.

That is their STATED MISSION.

Cut the ****.

Again, let them have Egypt and whatever pile of sand they want. But go one step towards Israel or !@#$ with the shipping lanes and expect to meet the business end of a JDAM.

Deal?

I was wondering why you were even bothering to this point.

It's not a PPP thing, either...it's an American thing. Most Americans have an image of "islamist" similar to the caricatures the Nazis used to publish about the Jews - the omnipresent hook-nosed boogeyman skulking in dark corners waiting to steal innocent children.

I think a distinction can be made between an islamist and the Muslim Brotherhood.