~NG~ could be in trouble

there are very few blockbuster drugs in any company's pipeline. without r&d, big pharmas standard excuse for exhorbitantly priced drugs is realized for the fallacy it is. the us govt is taking a first step funding $1 billion to start our own pilot drug r&d program. there's a thread on ppp discussing this.

there are very few blockbuster drugs in any company's pipeline. without r&d, big pharmas standard excuse for exhorbitantly priced drugs is realized for the fallacy it is. the us govt is taking a first step funding $1 billion to start our own pilot drug r&d program. there's a thread on ppp discussing this.

I work for Pfizer, too. Fortunately, I am not concerned with losing my job at this time. I hope NG is safe as well.

I disagree with your opinion on exorbitant pricing of prescription drugs. Especially after observing and participating in the extraordinary cost and effort involved in bringing a single drug to market. Though I acknowledge that pricing may be difficult to understand at first glance. However, the days of small molecule drugs for prescription pharmaceuticals are marked. Biotechnology will be the primary target for R&D development. These are engineered to produce less side effects and should realize longer exclusivity since it may be cost prohibitive to produce a generic version. OTOH, the target market may be smaller for engineered drugs. Pfizer has a strong vaccine portfolio and is diversified in Animal Health, Infant Nutrition, and Consumer Health. These and other ventures should help it weather periods of pipeline paucity (hey...I am going to remember to use that alliteration some other time).

It may be beneficial if the govt starts their own drug development pipeline. Perhaps they will understand firsthand some of the frustrations pharma companies have in dealing with the FDA.

So Neuroscience is relocating to Cambridge MA in about 12-18 months...people will be identified in 6-8 weeks to be "invited" or "deselected"...me I'm in an interesting position they will give a generous severance (for me about 1 yrs. salary), plus they would give 5 years to either age or years of service...I've been here 20 yrs and am over 50...I could use that and do early retirement...total for me with severance and my pension...over 4yrs salary plus some health benefits...or maybe move at great financial peril to a job that might disappear in 2 years...hmmm....lots to think about. I've dodged at least 4 bullets here in the last 10 years...will the next one have my name on it? My son suggested to move to Buffalo.

So Neuroscience is relocating to Cambridge MA in about 12-18 months...people will be identified in 6-8 weeks to be "invited" or "deselected"...me I'm in an interesting position they will give a generous severance (for me about 1 yrs. salary), plus they would give 5 years to either age or years of service...I've been here 20 yrs and am over 50...I could use that and do early retirement...total for me with severance and my pension...over 4yrs salary plus some health benefits...or maybe move at great financial peril to a job that might disappear in 2 years...hmmm....lots to think about. I've dodged at least 4 bullets here in the last 10 years...will the next one have my name on it? My son suggested to move to Buffalo.

You're old.

I work for Pfizer, too. Fortunately, I am not concerned with losing my job at this time. I hope NG is safe as well.

I disagree with your opinion on exorbitant pricing of prescription drugs. Especially after observing and participating in the extraordinary cost and effort involved in bringing a single drug to market. Though I acknowledge that pricing may be difficult to understand at first glance. However, the days of small molecule drugs for prescription pharmaceuticals are marked. Biotechnology will be the primary target for R&D development. These are engineered to produce less side effects and should realize longer exclusivity since it may be cost prohibitive to produce a generic version. OTOH, the target market may be smaller for engineered drugs. Pfizer has a strong vaccine portfolio and is diversified in Animal Health, Infant Nutrition, and Consumer Health. These and other ventures should help it weather periods of pipeline paucity (hey...I am going to remember to use that alliteration some other time).

It may be beneficial if the govt starts their own drug development pipeline. Perhaps they will understand firsthand some of the frustrations pharma companies have in dealing with the FDA.

Write memos much?

Write memos much?

Actually, I do. Scientific papers as well. But I had just returned home after a long flight when I posted and just wanted to post a quick reply on the board before I crashed. I'll get my son to proofread for me the next time I am that tired.