To all of you who complain about long throwing motions.

Kevin

I give you John Elway. Forward to (3:10)

Mike Vick Forward to (1:30)

On some of the instant replays it really shows his "wind up" motion. All of this talk about throwing motion is over the top. When selecting a QB it comes down to things like the system he was in. Was he a winner in college? If so, how long? Is he a one season wonder? Was he the first guy in the building and the last one to leave? Stuff like that matters, but throwing motion? That is a little "nit-picky" to me.

This is just my opinion too. I am not a scout, I don't work for the league, or any team. I don't break down film. I am just a fan.

Edited by Kevin

I'm kind of with you ?? Jim Kelly's release was not all that fast or compact but the guy was a winner and had a football mentality in every way possible !! The one thing that a QB needs is to be able to see the field or should i say read the field & do it fast !

That is why Fitz is a good QB , he is very intelligent , it doesn't take him a long time to look tings over & through study & retention he can tell what the opposition's defense is going to try to do which allows him to be proactive instead of reactive !!!

Everyone is trying to key on one attribute that will make the one player that will make this team successful...

Problem is it takes a package. For both the team and individuals you have to be good across the board with a few qualities that are special and no knockout weaknesses.

A qb needs that compact motion as much as he needs height, weight, speed, armstrength, accuracy, work ethic, and leadership. You can make up for one by being exceptional in others but to say one doesn't matter or one is the only thing that matters is silly. A slow throwing motion means he is likely to take more hits. Also means a DB is more likely to get to the ball. Exceptional armstrength or accuracy can neutralize the DB, speed and size can help with the hits, quick reads help with both but to say it doesn't matter is silly. That split second is going to need to be made up for somewhere.

Edited by NoSaint

On some of the instant replays it really shows his "wind up" motion. All of this talk about throwing motion is over the top. When selecting a QB it comes down to things like the system he was in. Was he a winner in college? If so, how long? Is he a one season wonder? Was he the first guy in the building and the last one to leave? Stuff like that matters, but throwing motion? That is a little "nit-picky" to me.

This is just my opinion too. I am not a scout, I don't work for the league, or any team. I don't break down film. I am just a fan.

so who do you want for QB?

I am not trying to jockey for any one QB. I like Fitz. But for the sake of argument I like Kapernick because he is a local boy for me and is very mobile. I also liked Ponder during the senior bowl (what little bit I watched). I don't think there are any clear cut starting qbs that will contribute immediately in this year draft.

If I worked the front office for the bills I would spend the entire draft on o-line, and front 7 defense.

My reasoning for posting this was to try to show that there are/were qbs in the league that have slower throwing motions. That's all.

I am not trying to jockey for any one QB. I like Fitz. But for the sake of argument I like Kapernick because he is a local boy for me and is very mobile. I also liked Ponder during the senior bowl (what little bit I watched). I don't think there are any clear cut starting qbs that will contribute immediately in this year draft.

If I worked the front office for the bills I would spend the entire draft on o-line, and front 7 defense.

My reasoning for posting this was to try to show that there are/were qbs in the league that have slower throwing motions. That's all.

Understood. I suppose my point was there are guys that are big/small, tall/short, smart/not, fast/slow... The thing is for any weakness you must be exceedingly strong somewhere else. Even without a glaring weakness you need to have special attributes, so adding even more to the list needed can in fact matter.

Dan Marino had the quickest release ever, it was close to impossible to sack #13. A quick release and a strong arm to hit any point on the field is tough to defend.

How many times would Fitzpatrick get picked off when he'd throw it out to the sideline?

Levi Brown has that quick release and strong arm and great size. Give him a couple years on the bench like A.Rodgers and thats our QB of the future.

Not sure Elway is a good example of a "wind up" motion. His stride was pretty big but his throwing motion was compact and his arm speed was unmatched. Vick on the other hand hardly strides at all, but has some funky arm action.

I'm kind of with you ?? Jim Kelly's release was not all that fast or compact but the guy was a winner and had a football mentality in every way possible !! The one thing that a QB needs is to be able to see the field or should i say read the field & do it fast !

That is why Fitz is a good QB , he is very intelligent , it doesn't take him a long time to look tings over & through study & retention he can tell what the opposition's defense is going to try to do which allows him to be proactive instead of reactive !!!

And yet is slightly sidearm delivery led to many batted passes especially on short routes. He's good for this team now. Fix the lines first.

I'm not sure if this thread was started because of the (former) Nevada QB, the OP wasn't clear, but his motion is the most exagerated that I have ever seen. I don't see him being able to take his game to the NFL. Slow windup and he really really steps into his throws. Any push up the middle will really mess with his ability to deliver the ball.

Everyone is trying to key on one attribute that will make the one player that will make this team successful...

Problem is it takes a package. For both the team and individuals you have to be good across the board with a few qualities that are special and no knockout weaknesses.

A qb needs that compact motion as much as he needs height, weight, speed, armstrength, accuracy, work ethic, and leadership. You can make up for one by being exceptional in others but to say one doesn't matter or one is the only thing that matters is silly. A slow throwing motion means he is likely to take more hits. Also means a DB is more likely to get to the ball. Exceptional armstrength or accuracy can neutralize the DB, speed and size can help with the hits, quick reads help with both but to say it doesn't matter is silly. That split second is going to need to be made up for somewhere.

This is a very good summation of the quarterback position!

Dan Marino had the quickest release ever, it was close to impossible to sack #13. A quick release and a strong arm to hit any point on the field is tough to defend.

How many times would Fitzpatrick get picked off when he'd throw it out to the sideline?

Levi Brown has that quick release and strong arm and great size. Give him a couple years on the bench like A.Rodgers and thats our QB of the future.

Please give me whatever pill you're taking.